Week 12 College Football Playoff rankings. Alabama in familiar spot at number 1!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: Week 11 College Football Playoff rankings. Alabama in familiar spot at number 1!

That would make as much sense as the SOS they have been using for ranking teams, which oddly enough the majority of people claimed "they got it right." .
Because they DID get it right. Not a hard concept for most people to understand.

We saw how that worked out.
We sure did. Neither 1 nor 3 is ranked 1 nor 3 anymore, which is exactly how this has worked forever.

I can't stress this enough, their #1 & #3 teams STUNK THE PLACE UP.
So did their #2 team according to YOUR criteria.....

If there is even one (important) area that Georgia is the Number One team in America I would like to see it. This just shows what a joke this committee is. JOKE. All of them need firing and get some people who actually want to put the four best teams there.

Scoring Margin = points scored - points given up. This is a very good indicator of team strength.
Alabama beat Miss State by 7 and trailed a good portion of the game.
Auburn wiped the floor with Miss State.
UGA wiped the floor with Miss State.

Once again, according to YOUR set criteria, both UGA AND Auburn are >>>>> Alabama.

Alabama was a 14-point favorite on the road and didn't take the winning lead until the final moment.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: Week 11 College Football Playoff rankings. Alabama in familiar spot at number 1!

I agree with you, but so many people are trying to bring that NFL mentality into this situation. They say it matters who is playing better right now, and it doesn't matter that a team may have already shown that they were not even the best team on the field against two teams this year. Some of these guys love the "eye test" for grading teams instead of the actual results test.
Generally speaking there's no contradiction between the outcome of games and the eye test.

Many seem to have forgotten how OSU was absolutely blasted by Iowa because they turned around and looked great against MSU.
Nobody forgot this.

Auburn looked great against UGA so it doesn't matter that they lost to Clemson and LSU.
If it didn't matter then Auburn would ranked higher than Clemson right now.

Auburn is the HIGHEST-RANKED 2-loss team in America.

How many teams with BETTER RECORDS are below Auburn right now?
1) UGA - whom Auburn just sand blasted into oblivion
2) UCF - whom nobody takes seriously anyway

So it simply isn't right to say, "The committee is looking past Auburn's losses." If LSU had beaten Miss State, they'd be ranked where Auburn is right now instead way down there at 21.

If AU and OSU win out and are two loss conference champions, I think Bama and Whisky and Miami may be left out due to when they lost.
Well, if Auburn beat Alabama head to head then it's pretty hard to argue Alabama should go, isn't it?

Or should the committee now overlook the head to head?

I may be wrong, but I suspect that barring something unusual, Ohio State's goose is cooked, in large part because one of the teams ahead of them is Oklahoma, who beat them pretty handily in Columbus.

It will be interesting to see who they pick and what rationale they use to justify their picks. Of course, if we just win out and get in, I really don't care who else they put in the field.

True dat.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

I just hope there is some way we can beat Auburn because I know we can beat UGA. Auburn is the obstacle. It would be neat to make the playoffs 4 years in a row and to be the only team to do it. By then, we would have back at least one linebacker and others should be healthy. It will be very difficult to beat Oklahoma, etc but I would at least like for BAMA to get the chance to try. It just doesn't seem right that a 2 loss team could make it to the playoffs (Auburn) and possibly win it all. Guess I am a bit jealous because if it was BAMA, I would be all for it :)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I just hope there is some way we can beat Auburn because I know we can beat UGA. Auburn is the obstacle. It would be neat to make the playoffs 4 years in a row and to be the only team to do it. By then, we would have back at least one linebacker and others should be healthy. It will be very difficult to beat Oklahoma, etc but I would at least like for BAMA to get the chance to try. It just doesn't seem right that a 2 loss team could make it to the playoffs (Auburn) and possibly win it all. Guess I am a bit jealous because if it was BAMA, I would be all for it :)

I don't think it's going to be nearly as difficult to beat OU as some think.

They have no defense at all, and Iowa St beat them in Norman with a third-string QB.

They've not faced a single QB with the continuing developing skills of Jalen Hurts.

Our problem is going to be GETTING to the actual game itself. Injury free I'd have no doubt. I still only have a tiny bit. I think we're as good as any team I've seen this year, I thought the Auburn that played UGA was close, though.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

A few tweets on this week's rankings:

https://twitter.com/abc/status/930634404661219328

(link)

https://twitter.com/abc/status/930634740306132993

(link)

Going with the thinking the committee used for Clemson, we should be fine no matter what happens since we have so many injuries. (and no, I'm not being serious; just pointing out their absurd thinking.)

EXACTLY.

I woke up to that this morning and was like, "Oh, okay, NOW we're gonna use if Colt hadn't gotten hurt as a legit argument."

Unbelievable.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

Time for Bama to show all the wannabe's how a great team handles being #1. We have handled it better than most the last 10 yrs. YOU are welcome folks, we will take the bulls eye off your back. Now it is time to just hold onto it for a five more games.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Time for Bama to show all the wannabe's how a great team handles being #1. We have handled it better than most the last 10 yrs. YOU are welcome folks, we will take the bulls eye off your back. Now it is time to just hold onto it for a five more games.
Part of the reason this doesn't affect us all that much is because we already get everybody's best game.

As Coach Bryant said talking about the 1978 schedule, "Every single team we played would have rather beaten us than any other team they played."

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

If we lose to auburn or UGA we do not deserve to get in. We should be able to beat both,that will convince me we are worthy of playoff birth. There is no part of me that thinks we are not better than both, but we have to prove it in the games. What gets me is looking at top 10 that 4 of the 10 have 2 losses. WOW
By your reasoning if every team drops a game between now and the playoffs, no one should go and we should just award no trophy this year. Only 3 P5 teams are undefeated right now. I guess that we can forget about filling out the bracket.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

By your reasoning if every team drops a game between now and the playoffs, no one should go and we should just award no trophy this year. Only 3 P5 teams are undefeated right now. I guess that we can forget about filling out the bracket.
Revert to BCS formula and let the top 2 play

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

Hey if Bama loses now we will drop like a rock, that is just how it works for us. Right now the way we are playing is not as champions. I still think we will win out and beat UGA in SECCG, but to be number one we must win at aub and beat UGA. If we do not I do not see us getting in playoff. I am not saying we are not still a top 4 team but we lose at auburn or in SECCG we will be dropped out. The playoff is not perfect, and I know that. To be honest no team has shown me they are a clear #1 right now, but I will bet money the next few weeks will show a clear picture of the top 4 teams, now will that relate to thembeing ranked in top 4 depends. My point is I am not going to whine if we get left out if we lose to au or uga. WE control our destiny, and to remove any doubt is easy, win the next 3 games period end of story. If we drop one well that is football and this playoff system.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Hey if Bama loses now we will drop like a rock, that is just how it works for us. Right now the way we are playing is not as champions. I still think we will win out and beat UGA in SECCG, but to be number one we must win at aub and beat UGA. If we do not I do not see us getting in playoff. I am not saying we are not still a top 4 team but we lose at auburn or in SECCG we will be dropped out. The playoff is not perfect, and I know that. To be honest no team has shown me they are a clear #1 right now, but I will bet money the next few weeks will show a clear picture of the top 4 teams, now will that relate to thembeing ranked in top 4 depends. My point is I am not going to whine if we get left out if we lose to au or uga. WE control our destiny, and to remove any doubt is easy, win the next 3 games period end of story. If we drop one well that is football and this playoff system.
I think we would get the benefit of the doubt. I think it depends on how the Auburn game goes. If it's a dog fight - and a last second loss -- we get more credit than how Georgia was handled. That bodes well for us.

OU will drop another game....especially if they hit TCU again. That's just my gut talking.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

This is some fantastic coach speak.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Hey if Bama loses now we will drop like a rock, that is just how it works for us.
Really?

In 2014, we were sixth in the first poll, behind unbeaten MSU and FSU (defending champions), one-loss Auburn (to MSU), and one-loss Ole Miss (who beat us).

We were 3 in the poll before the Ole Miss loss, we dropped to 7.

In 2015, we had the early season loss to Ole Miss. We entered the first poll at number four, ranked above unbeaten Baylor, Michigan St, TCU, Iowa, Memphis, and Okie St. We moved up to two before the finale.

We were 2 in the poll before the Ole Miss loss, and we dropped to 12. That was the AP poll.

The Playoff Poll folks.....????

Last year, Clemson was 2 and lost to Pitt in a close one. They only dropped to 4.
Washington was 5 and lost - they dropped to 6.

Right now the way we are playing is not as champions. I still think we will win out and beat UGA in SECCG, but to be number one we must win at aub and beat UGA. If we do not I do not see us getting in playoff. I am not saying we are not still a top 4 team but we lose at auburn or in SECCG we will be dropped out. The playoff is not perfect, and I know that. To be honest no team has shown me they are a clear #1 right now, but I will bet money the next few weeks will show a clear picture of the top 4 teams, now will that relate to thembeing ranked in top 4 depends. My point is I am not going to whine if we get left out if we lose to au or uga. WE control our destiny, and to remove any doubt is easy, win the next 3 games period end of story. If we drop one well that is football and this playoff system.

Uh, no, you're thinking about the OLD systems, where losing late was an automatic drop.

That has not been true with the committee.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

If we lose to auburn or UGA we do not deserve to get in. We should be able to beat both,that will convince me we are worthy of playoff birth. There is no part of me that thinks we are not better than both, but we have to prove it in the games. What gets me is looking at top 10 that 4 of the 10 have 2 losses. WOW
I agree with this statement, to a point. If we lose the iron bowl, then we go to the peach bowl. If we lose a close one to Georgia in the CG, I still think we have a shot at the CFP.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

If Alabama loses, how they lose will matter. Alabama injuries are becoming a story and that is actually part of the committee's criteria. A close loss, be it to Auburn or Georgia will be forgivable. One of the main reasons that Georgia fell below Auburn was because Auburn kicked their butts (and Notre Dame big loss blew up Georgia's big win). Had it been a close game I imagine the committee easily could have justified keeping Georgia ahead. In terms of Clemson and teams with winning records, Alabama has beat 5 teams with winning records. That only tells you so much.

In terms of Alabama, there are three big questions that might remain unanswered. How does the committee view Alabama in light of their injuries? I've seen the argument made that this makes Alabama weaker, but as I understand it the committee weighs that in favor of the team in consideration, not against. If Nick Saban just floats it out there sometime around the Auburn game that he expects some guys back in the coming weeks, that could help. We don't know how the committee views Alabama's Florida State win. Once again, they do factor in injuries, so they have to consider Alabama playing FSU with their starting quarterback. Miami barely escaping probably weighs in favor of Alabama to. I could go on, but the truth is we won't really have an idea how the committee will judge a one loss Alabama team until it happens. It is hard to imagine a scenario in which they fall further/harder than Georgia though.

The scenario is open for Alabama with one loss to get into the playoff. How things play out though remains to be seen.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Because they DID get it right. Not a hard concept for most people to understand.

We sure did. Neither 1 nor 3 is ranked 1 nor 3 anymore, which is exactly how this has worked forever.

So did their #2 team according to YOUR criteria.....

Alabama beat Miss State by 7 and trailed a good portion of the game.
Auburn wiped the floor with Miss State.
UGA wiped the floor with Miss State.

Once again, according to YOUR set criteria, both UGA AND Auburn are >>>>> Alabama.

Alabama was a 14-point favorite on the road and didn't take the winning lead until the final moment.
You have no idea what my criteria is. Two teams won and two teams GOT STOMPED. Try that for criteria.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Two points about last night's show and the rankings:

1. Really puzzled why Kirk had Oklahoma as his #1 team right now. He's normally pretty level headed and not the prisoner of the moment type. With that being said he's literally the only person I saw who had Oklahoma ranked #1. Really makes no sense to rank a one loss team ahead of multiple undefeated teams who have a similar body of work. Thought it was a bad look for Kirk.

2. Taking injuries into consideration is a very slippery slope. I understand Kelly Bryant was injured for most of the Syracuse game, and eventually knocked out of the game, but he doesn't play defense and they shouldn't get a pass for that loss. What's to stop a coach from sitting his QB if he has a mild injury and the team is down at halftime? Why not sit your QB the second half if you know you can get a pass for it? Like many others have brought up in this thread they're selectively looking at injuries. I haven't once heard somebody say that we should get a pass if we lose to AU because we're down 4 of our top 5 starting LBs. Not to start the Jalen vs Tua debate but I'd rather have all of our LBs back and play the backup QB vs AU (whether it was Tua or someone else) yet Bama will not get any consideration for our injuries if we lose because they aren't to star players..

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

Two points about last night's show and the rankings:

1. Really puzzled why Kirk had Oklahoma as his #1 team right now. He's normally pretty level headed and not the prisoner of the moment type. With that being said he's literally the only person I saw who had Oklahoma ranked #1. Really makes no sense to rank a one loss team ahead of multiple undefeated teams who have a similar body of work. Thought it was a bad look for Kirk.

2. Taking injuries into consideration is a very slippery slope. I understand Kelly Bryant was injured for most of the Syracuse game, and eventually knocked out of the game, but he doesn't play defense and they shouldn't get a pass for that loss. What's to stop a coach from sitting his QB if he has a mild injury and the team is down at halftime? Why not sit your QB the second half if you know you can get a pass for it? Like many others have brought up in this thread they're selectively looking at injuries. I haven't once heard somebody say that we should get a pass if we lose to AU because we're down 4 of our top 5 starting LBs. Not to start the Jalen vs Tua debate but I'd rather have all of our LBs back and play the backup QB vs AU (whether it was Tua or someone else) yet Bama will not get any consideration for our injuries if we lose because they aren't to star players..
I would put OU at no. 2. They don't play much D but when you have an unstoppable O(to this point anyway and I think that's how Herbie sees it) like they do then I'm not sure it really makes any difference.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.