Week 12 College Football Playoff rankings. Alabama in familiar spot at number 1!

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Re: Week 11 College Football Playoff rankings. Alabama in familiar spot at number 1!

WW3. If both teams can make it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Week 11 College Football Playoff rankings. Alabama in familiar spot at number 1!

Leaving the door open for Wisconsin to slip in after Miami and Clemson play. Also leaving the door open for Auburn to slip in if Wisconsin loses and Auburn wins out.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Leaving the door open for Wisconsin to slip in after Miami and Clemson play. Also leaving the door open for Auburn to slip in if Wisconsin loses and Auburn wins out.
Your Buckeyes can still sneak in. They really don't deserve it after that blowout loss to Iowa but they can get in if they win out and a little help (but not that much help actually)

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

Thats fair enough.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA

If we lose a close one to Auburn could we still get in? Let's say Auburn would beat UGA again. Clemson and Miami play each other. Say Wisconsin loses. Then we'd be left in some order with:

1. Clemson/Miami winner
2. Oklahoma
3. Auburn
4. 1 loss Alabama or 2 loss Ohio State?

What do you think?

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

If we lose a close one to Auburn could we still get in? Let's say Auburn would beat UGA again. Clemson and Miami play each other. Say Wisconsin loses. Then we'd be left in some order with:

1. Clemson/Miami winner
2. Oklahoma
3. Auburn

What do you think?
They'd put a lot of weight on that conference title, I imagine.

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014

They'd put a lot of weight on that conference title, I imagine.
They sure did last year with Ohio State.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005

1. Clemson/Miami winner
2. Oklahoma
3. Auburn

What do you think?
I think that we are in if we were to lose to either Auburn or Georgia and Wisconsin loses in the Big 10 championship. Oklahoma is probably in as is the winner of Miami/Clemson assuming Clemson gets past South Carolina. Being ranked ahead of Miami helps if they were to lose in the ACC championship.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

More teams are going to lose, I said this before last week's game and I have to say it again.

Clemson has good odds to win out at 55%, but not great odds. Same with Oklahoma at 53%. Wisconsin is only at 21% though and it's unlikely they can survive any loss since their resume is so weak. Miami is at 25% chance at winning out, it would be interesting to see how a one loss Miami team would be viewed, especially if Notre Dame loses to Stanford, but they'd likely be out of things to. Georgia is still in this though, because they're going to play Alabama or Auburn.

If I didn't mention a team, it is because they are out of it. A one loss Alabama does have a path of the playoff, but it's not a sure thing yet. Last week I was arguing that Alabama can make it in even if they lost to Auburn (and Auburn beat Georgia) but now there is a possibility of both teams making it in oddly enough. Other teams still have to lose though...

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

1. Clemson/Miami winner
2. Oklahoma
3. Auburn

What do you think?
They've already shown in two of the three years that they will give OSU the benefit of the doubt. I hope we win out and don't put the committee in a position to choose between us and OSU.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Sorry, a two loss team should never get in if there are legit power 5 teams with one loss available.

So they would say that a single Bama loss to Auburn is worse than Auburn losing to Clemson and LSU?

In what world would that make sense?

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

Sorry, a two loss team should never get in if there are legit power 5 teams with one loss available.

So they would say that a single Bama loss to Auburn is worse than Auburn losing to Clemson and LSU?

I agree with you, but so many people are trying to bring that NFL mentality into this situation. They say it matters who is playing better right now, and it doesn't matter that a team may have already shown that they were not even the best team on the field against two teams this year. Some of these guys love the "eye test" for grading teams instead of the actual results test. Many seem to have forgotten how OSU was absolutely blasted by Iowa because they turned around and looked great against MSU. Auburn looked great against UGA so it doesn't matter that they lost to Clemson and LSU. If AU and OSU win out and are two loss conference champions, I think Bama and Whisky and Miami may be left out due to when they lost. It will be interesting to see who they pick and what rationale they use to justify their picks. Of course, if we just win out and get in, I really don't care who else they put in the field.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

That would make as much sense as the SOS they have been using for ranking teams, which oddly enough the majority of people claimed "they got it right." . We saw how that worked out. I can't stress this enough, their #1 & #3 teams STUNK THE PLACE UP.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Right now there are only six P5 teams with 1 or fewer losses: Alabama, Miami, Wisconsin, Clemson, Oklahoma & Georgia. Any of the one loss teams would be eliminated from the CFP with another loss, but of the 3 only GA is likely to lose again. Of the zero loss teams, only one has a chance of losing twice - Wisconsin. But the way that they played last week, I have no idea what to expect from them. So, for now I am going to assume that we will have five P5 teams with 1 or fewer losses when the CFP teams are chosen. We are also going to have at least 2 conferences with 2 loss champions.

Let's assume that the field looks like this, because everyone here is focused on the question - "What happens to Alabama if they lose to Auburn":

Clemson wins the ACCCG: 12-1 - In the CFP (eliminated if they lose, but replaced by Miami)
Oklahoma wins the Big 12 CG: 12-1 - In the CFP (eliminated if they lose, replaced by one of the teams below)
Auburn wins the SECCG: 11-2 - In the CFP (yep, they get in with wins over Alabama & GA (twice))
OSU wins the B1GCG: 11-2 - Still doesn't make the CFP (mostly because of B1G play in the CFP the last 2 years)

Alabama loses to Auburn : 11-1 (best wins - LSU & MSU)
Miami loses the ACCCG - 12-1 (huge win over ND)
Wisconsin only loses in the B1GCG - 12-1 (best win would be over Michigan - they would be eliminated with ANY loss)

So the real question - Who would get in? Alabama or Miami? I think that would depend on how those conference championship games play out, but the injury thing which is being discussed heavily around Clemson's loss could push that to Alabama with similar outcomes.

So, IMO, there is still a very good chance that Alabama could make the CFP with a close loss to Auburn. If the Sooners lose, it would become almost certain.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Right now there are only six P5 teams with 1 or fewer losses: Alabama, Miami, Wisconsin, Clemson, Oklahoma & Georgia. Any of the one loss teams would be eliminated from the CFP with another loss, but of the 3 only GA is likely to lose again. Of the zero loss teams, only one has a chance of losing twice - Wisconsin. But the way that they played last week, I have no idea what to expect from them. So, for now I am going to assume that we will have five P5 teams with 1 or fewer losses when the CFP teams are chosen. We are also going to have at least 2 conferences with 2 loss champions.

Let's assume that the field looks like this, because everyone here is focused on the question - "What happens to Alabama if they lose to Auburn":

Clemson wins the ACCCG: 12-1 - In the CFP (eliminated if they lose, but replaced by Miami)
Oklahoma wins the Big 12 CG: 12-1 - In the CFP (eliminated if they lose, replaced by one of the teams below)
Auburn wins the SECCG: 11-2 - In the CFP (yep, they get in with wins over Alabama & GA (twice))
OSU wins the B1GCG: 11-2 - Still doesn't make the CFP (mostly because of B1G play in the CFP the last 2 years)

Alabama loses to Auburn : 11-1 (best wins - LSU & MSU)
Miami loses the ACCCG - 12-1 (huge win over ND)
Wisconsin only loses in the B1GCG - 12-1 (best win would be over Michigan - they would be eliminated with ANY loss)

So the real question - Who would get in? Alabama or Miami? I think that would depend on how those conference championship games play out, but the injury thing which is being discussed heavily around Clemson's loss could push that to Alabama with similar outcomes.

So, IMO, there is still a very good chance that Alabama could make the CFP with a close loss to Auburn. If the Sooners lose, it would become almost certain.
Interesting, B1G. So..... from a strategic standpoint, it behooves us to be fans of whomever is playing Oklahoma the rest of the way.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

Perfect season now would be Bama winning out, and Miami and Notre Dame getting in. Then Bama getting both in play off and stomping mud holes in both LOL. Love to replay 1992 and 2012 wins for National Title. OH football gods make it happen hehe

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Interesting, B1G. So..... from a strategic standpoint, it behooves us to be fans of whomever is playing Oklahoma the rest of the way.
And whoever is playing Wisconsin. If those 2 win out, they are in and take a spot that a one loss Alabama team might otherwise get. If both win out, Alabama can only get in if they beat Auburn and win the SECCG.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

If we lose to auburn or UGA we do not deserve to get in. We should be able to beat both,that will convince me we are worthy of playoff birth. There is no part of me that thinks we are not better than both, but we have to prove it in the games. What gets me is looking at top 10 that 4 of the 10 have 2 losses. WOW

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.