Week 12 College Football Playoff rankings. Alabama in familiar spot at number 1!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Week 11 College Football Playoff rankings. Alabama in familiar spot at number 1!

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Re: Week 11 College Football Playoff rankings. Alabama in familiar spot at number 1!

Our good man krazy3 was screaming this way back in 2011.

Increase the number of teams in a tournament and you automatically increase the possibility of a rematch.

One of these years, they're going to wind up with all four teams having played round robin in the same season and watch the ratings tank.
But there were rematches in old bowl system and in BCS, so it's nothing new for college football post season. It happens in NCAA basketball tourney all the time.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland

I agree about the injury thing being a "Slippery Slope".

Regarding Kirk putting OU at #1, you've got to remember that his paycheck isn't signed by "Objective Truth" - its signed by ESPiN. If Herbie puts Alabama at #1, nobody is talking about Herbie today, OR calling the Pawl Slimebomb show (an ESPiN property) to complain about Herbie, or watching any of the ESPiN CFB "Chat" shows to see if anyone else is upset about Herbie.

Herbie exists in a CFB environment that's largely Sick and "Darned" Tired of Alabama winning all the time. He's "preaching to the Choir", and I can guarantee you almost every CFB fan who's Not an Alabama fan was DELIGHTED to see ANY other team getting pushed for #1, just as they were all delighted to see UGa in the #1 spot previously.
The injury thing should be considered, but it should not be given the weight it is being given with clemson, where the Syracuse loss is basically being treated as if it didn't occur. They lost to a bad team with a losing record that only has 1 good win, and that was over clemson. Syracuse lost to Middle Tennessee State. They are awful. It's the only really bad loss of the teams in consideration. Heck, LSU's loss to Troy was not as bad given Troy is 8-2 and took Boise State to the 4th qtr. I just don't get it.

If Bama loses a close one to auburn and injuries play a key role, the committee will have some explaining to do if it keeps a 1-loss Bama team out and lets a 1-loss clemson team in given the vast difference between the quality of the losses.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

If Bama loses a close one to auburn and injuries play a key role, the committee will have some explaining to do if it keeps a 1-loss Bama team out and lets a 1-loss clemson team in given the vast difference between the quality of the losses.
Agree with this 100%. Even if BAMA were to lose to AU or UGA, that loss is a lot better than the Clemson loss to Syracuse, or OU Home loss to Iowa St playing a 3rd string QB.

I think we will beat AU. However, if we don’t, baring no future upsets, I would fully expect the CFP standings going into Champ weekend to be:

Clemson
Miami
OU
Wisc
AU
UGA
BAMA
Ohio St.

ACC and SEC Champ are in. OU or Wisconsin will lose. BAMA would get in as they’d have a better resume than a 2 loss UGA, 3 loss AU, 2 loss Clemson, 1 loss Miami, 1 loss Wiscy, 2 loss OU or 2 loss Ohio St.

The only way we are left out would be Miami, Wisconsin and OU all win out. Even then, I think the committee would have to decide who has the better resume. A 1 loss BAMA with a lot of injuries, or an OU team that lost at home to a 5 loss team playing a 3rd string QB.

The committee has basically said Clemson got a pass due to injuries. They’d have to consider BAMA’s LB injuries. Especially since Lewis, Miller and Wilson would all be back for the playoffs.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

But there were rematches in old bowl system and in BCS, so it's nothing new for college football post season. It happens in NCAA basketball tourney all the time.
There was ONE rematch in a championship game and people lost their damned minds over it.

And it was the BCS folks who said, "Every game counts" when in fact, they didn't.

And I watched Desmond Howard with my own two eyes argue in favor of Okie State vs LSU by saying, "Already seen LSU-Alabama, don't want to see it again."

The issue with rematches primarily is that it makes such a unique game just like everything else.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Quiet funny about Clemson when you really think about it. Bryant went down right before halftime. The score was 17-14. The final score was 27-24, so each team scored 10 points in the second half. Did his injury really matter that much then?

In the second half, Clemson gained 172 yards, which comes out to be 54% of its total for the game while Syracuse got 46% of its total yards (203) in the second half.

Seems pretty obvious Kelly Bryant's injury really made a difference.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Quiet funny about Clemson when you really think about it. Bryant went down right before halftime. The score was 17-14. The final score was 27-24, so each team scored 10 points in the second half. Did his injury really matter that much then?

In the second half, Clemson gained 172 yards, which comes out to be 54% of its total for the game while Syracuse got 46% of its total yards (203) in the second half.

Seems pretty obvious Kelly Bryant's injury really made a difference.
Bryant was barely able to stand in the game, so while he was knocked out with a concussion later, he was badly injured through the entire game. Imagine Jalen if he couldn't scramble at all because of an ankle injury. That's what they had in Bryant in that game - a QB who could not play his game.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Bryant was barely able to stand in the game, so while he was knocked out with a concussion later, he was badly injured through the entire game. Imagine Jalen if he couldn't scramble at all because of an ankle injury. That's what they had in Bryant in that game - a QB who could not play his game.
But we would have bested Syracuse easily with Tua.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

But we would have bested Syracuse easily with Tua.
Not my point - I was replying to a post that suggested that Bryant was only injured for a half. He was not. He entered the game severely hobbled and then got knocked out of the game later due to a concussion. Just setting that straight. Not arguing that the injury should justify anything else.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015

I think people also aren't taking into account that the committee loves Clemson's schedule. It's not just about ranked teams.

Clemson has seven wins against top 40 teams in FPI (not including BC who is ranked 41.) Bama has four. They've reiterated this point over and over.

Do I think the ACC is as strong as FPI does? No, I don't. But that's where a lot of this committee love is coming from, more so than just excusing the Clemson loss.

Kent State125Florida State22
Auburn5Fresno St65
at Louisville27Colorado St70
BC41at Vandy79
at VT15Ole Miss57
Wake29at Texas A&M37
at Cuse44Arky72
Ga Tech23Tenn66
at NC State18LSU19
Fla St22at Miss St16

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama

The injury thing should be considered, but it should not be given the weight it is being given with clemson, where the Syracuse loss is basically being treated as if it didn't occur. They lost to a bad team with a losing record that only has 1 good win, and that was over clemson. Syracuse lost to Middle Tennessee State. They are awful. It's the only really bad loss of the teams in consideration. Heck, LSU's loss to Troy was not as bad given Troy is 8-2 and took Boise State to the 4th qtr. I just don't get it.

Agree with all the above - and that's just the thing with the "Double Secret Committee" - the rationale and justification for their picks change with every situation.

If it was Wake on an undefeated run and highy ranked, but they lost to Syracuse, you can bet they'd have TUMBLED in the rankings. Clemspon? a Media Favorite? Yea, not so much.

Make all the tin foil hat jokes y'all want, I really don't mind. Maybe its a Total "Coincidence" - but so far, every time there's been a doubt in the final selections - my theories have explained the eventual results perfectly. Just sayin'..... :cool:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Agree with all the above - and that's just the thing with the "Double Secret Committee" - the rationale and justification for their picks change with every situation.

If it was Wake on an undefeated run and highy ranked, but they lost to Syracuse, you can bet they'd have TUMBLED in the rankings. Clemspon? a Media Favorite? Yea, not so much.

Make all the tin foil hat jokes y'all want, I really don't mind. Maybe its a Total "Coincidence" - but so far, every time there's been a doubt in the final selections - my theories have explained the eventual results perfectly. Just sayin'..... :cool:
What's a total coincidence ? You've been asked before, but nothing but silence, name one clear cut example of a final 4 ranking supporting a conspiracy ? Can you even name a weekly one this year ? They've actually been impressive this year.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

The "ace in the hole" seems to be Conference Champion, but not always -- just like the people who designed the committee wanted. They wanted the ability to override the polls and records, if need be.

2016: Alabama, Clemson, Washington, OHIO STATE -- AT LARGE.

2015: Alabama, Clemson, Michigan St, OKLAHOMA -- Big 12 Champion by record (8-1) but no championship game.

2014: Alabama, Ohio State, Oregon, Florida St

I am not implying that the committee was wrong or right -- just pointing out that 11 of the 12 Playoff teams were Conference Champions.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I am not implying that the committee was wrong or right -- just pointing out that 11 of the 12 Playoff teams were Conference Champions.
One could easily argue that is incidental (and mind you I never wanted the playoff or the committee). You have to look at the alternatives, in which years was there a non-conference champion with as good a resume as one of the other playoff teams? I argued adamantly that Ohio State deserved to get in last year and the committee agreed. It should be noted that Ohio State was a three seed. So they didn't even squeak by, but the next best candidate was Penn State, and despite beating Ohio State and winning the conference, they had two losses.

Back in 2015, Iowa and Ohio State both got left out with one loss. Neither were conference champions. However, a peak at the final SOS rankings reveals quite a gap: Michigan St. 30, Oklahoma 20, Ohio State 60, Iowa 52. While you could easily argue that the committee didn't choose the best four teams, the gap in SOS made their choice rather easy.

2014 has probably been discussed the most, but the quality win/SOS component favored Ohio State after their conference championship game. You could argue the Big 12 mucked things up, but when Ohio State gains a quality win (and a big win at that, which the committee notes) and some daylight in terms of the SOS game, I think they made an otherwise difficult choice easy.

To me, this is as much about the fact that a conference championship game gives a chance to gain in SOS and pick up a quality win as anything else. Just like current scenarios involving one loss Alabama and Georgia teams. Georgia has a better chance of getting in with one loss (but a more difficult path to avoid losing again) simply because the SECCG would boost their SOS and give them a chance for another quality win. If the scenario plays out that Auburn beats Alabama and then Georgia beats Auburn, I could see people saying Georgia gets chosen simply because of a conference championship. I would argue they'd get in ahead of Alabama in that scenario because of higher SOS and more quality wins.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

The "ace in the hole" seems to be Conference Champion, but not always -- just like the people who designed the committee wanted. They wanted the ability to override the polls and records, if need be.
Jeezus, y'all are becoming more incoherent with each passing post.

1) How in the hell can they "override the polls" when they ARE the poll? This makes no sense whatsoever. Here's a concept you need to accept - those pre-season polls and rankings prior to committee are ALL fiction. They're NOT real, they don't exist, and they don't matter. CFB can't come right out and SAY this, but they don't.

2) What record has been overridden? Penn St last year had a worse record than Ohio St did, which is the sole reason they weren't chosen.

3) What caused the whole conference champion argument was 2011. Now I'm gonna remind everybody....both Nebraska in 2001 and OU in 2003 played in the BCS title game without even winning the division. It wasn't until the SEC did it that this suddenly became a problem.

2016: Alabama, Clemson, Washington, OHIO STATE -- AT LARGE.
Ohio State had one loss just like Clemson and Washington did.

On a serious note....can you tell me who was more deserving than Ohio St last year?

2015: Alabama, Clemson, Michigan St, OKLAHOMA -- Big 12 Champion by record (8-1) but no championship game.
But why would you need a championship game when the conference already plays round robin?

2014: Alabama, Ohio State, Oregon, Florida St

I think the reason you're not implying the committee was right - and IN FACT they were in AT LEAST 11 of the 12 selections - is because it pretty much demolishes what you're repeatedly complaining about here.

Keep in mind that any undefeated team is pretty much BY DEFINITION going to be a conference champion. So FSU (14), Clemson (15), and Alabama (16) were no-brainer selections. All three of these teams would have been number one (based on the other records) in ALL PREVIOUS polls used (BCS, pre-BCS AP, etc).

But even then, MOST one-loss teams are going to win their conference titles, too. If they don't, it's almost always going to be because there's an unbeaten team that gave them that one loss that plays in the same conference.

Conference championships are ONE PART of the entire discussion, and they should be. What should NOT be part of the argument is, "Well, Boise St won their conference against a bunch of nobodies so obviously they're better than one-loss Alabama," in 2011.

I don't mind the flexibility (to a degree) to weigh factors, what I mind is that those factors are REALLY determined by "which team is a big name."

Let's look at this whole thing from another perspective?

HAS THERE BEEN A SINGLE TEAM PASSED OVER IN THE THREE YEARS OF PLAYOFF SELECTIONS THAT SHOULD HAVE MADE THE PLAYOFF?

That - is the REAL question. And the answer is, "No, there is not."

Not one team has a legitimate complaint along the lines of 1994 Penn St, 2001 Oregon, or 2004 Auburn.

There's been ONE controversy, the Ohio State over TCU selection in 2014. And even then, I can't bring myself to say TCU got jobbed. They should have beaten Baylor, and they would have made the title game. And if TCU had been selected over Ohio St in 2014, the Buckeyes wouldn't have been jobbed, either.

This is what I call the krazy3 BCS argument playing out totally. We've gone from arguing "who is the second best team" to "who is the fourth best team." And in all honesty at that point, I don't care.

In all three years, we've gotten the TWO BEST TEAMS in the playoff. It doesn't really matter whether three and four were correct or not. What we've done is end the days of AP poll injustices.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Selma: Jeezus, y'all are becoming more incoherent with each passing post.

1) How in the hell can they "override the polls" when they ARE the poll? This makes no sense whatsoever. Here's a concept you need to accept - those pre-season polls and rankings prior to committee are ALL fiction. They're NOT real, they don't exist, and they don't matter. CFB can't come right out and SAY this, but they don't.

LOL. Who is incoherent? You are arguing that polls do not exist and are all fiction! LOL.

Selma: But why would you need a championship game when the conference already plays round robin?

LOL. I did not say the Big 12 needed a championship game, did I? No.

When I posted this I said, "Selma will find fault with this even though I did not offer any opinion. I only stated the teams and whether they were a conf. champ or not." I even noted at the end that I was not saying it was right or wrong. Selma, if you will let me know how I have offended you I will try to make it right with you.

Last edited:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

Selma: Jeezus, y'all are becoming more incoherent with each passing post.

LOL. Who is incoherent? You are arguing that polls do not exist and are all fiction! LOL.

Selma: But why would you need a championship game when the conference already plays round robin?

LOL. I did not say the Big 10 needed a championship game, did I? No.

When I posted this I said, "Selma will find fault with this even though I did not offer any opinion. I only stated the teams and whether they were a conf. champ or not." I even noted at the end that I was not saying it was right or wrong. Selma, if you will let me know how I have offended you I will try to make it right with you.
You are still operating with the old college football mindset. The AP, USA Today, coaches, ESPN polls DO NOT MATTER. They are just for talking heads, they mean NOTHING, so they really don’t even exist.

And Selma’s comment about the round robin schedule was referring to the Big 12, for crying out loud...

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu

Make all the tin foil hat jokes y'all want, I really don't mind.
Don't worry pal, if we take any more injuries on defense I'm putting on a tin foil hat for that!

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

You are still operating with the old college football mindset. The AP, USA Today, coaches, ESPN polls DO NOT MATTER. They are just for talking heads, they mean NOTHING, so they really don’t even exist.

And Selma’s comment about the round robin schedule was referring to the Big 12, for crying out loud...
You are correct, I meant Big 12. I did not say Oklahoma needed a championship game, I only pointed out they did not have a CG. I don't know how Selma got that I wanted a Big 12 championship game. I did not say that, this is what I said.

2015: Alabama, Clemson, Michigan St, OKLAHOMA -- Big 12 Champion by record (8-1) but no championship game. Show me where I implied the Big 12 needed a Championship game? I just pointed out they did not have one.

When did we get to place on TideFans that every single word and every letter is a point of arguing and contention?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.