Reports: Jeff Long out as Arkansas athletic director

WPS

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 14, 2015
Just read that Arkansas owes Jeff Long $4.6M payable through 2022. Long has an obligation to mitigate those damages through other "similar" employment. This buyout madness has got to stop. What has Jeff Long ever done to warrant such a large buyout? Did someone at Arkansas really think another school would try to hire him away??
He interviewed for the Texas and Nebraska AD jobs IIRC. Until recently he was pretty well respected and won AD of the year a couple of years ago.

He seems like he's a better fit for an Ivy League school or something though.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
You hit another point of mine that I think is essential to the American mindset: the need for quantitative analytics. Efficiency, return on investment, etc is something essential to the American psyche (in my opinion wrongly) when sometimes the best decision for everyone involved and affected by the decision is the less efficient choice or the one that can't be explained any other way than a qualitative judgement.

I feel like this mindset is the core sickness to so many things in this country whether it is hiring people or how we assess public education effectiveness or just about anything.
Interesting thoughts on a lot of levels and regarding subjects totally unrelated to sports.

While I think you have to measure performance with objective metrics, I see your point, but think it has a different cause.

The objective measurements aren't flawed in and of themselves. The flaw is in the audience....the good and bad / black and white / 1s and 0s / binary thought processes make people impatient.

For most things, there are a zillion shades of gray. Yet, when faced with a number, too many people get too narrowly focused on the metric as of the moment at hand. They totally lose sight of the process needed to make sustainable and permanent improvement.

So they're forever starting all over, and never make real improvement.

I still believe in objective measurement. I just think it has to be over a period of time long enough to provide a valid database on which you can make a decision.

Last edited:

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Tough to say if he'd be sufficently motivated to walk away from (Potentially) a big raise and perhaps a Ridiculous buyout. But You've got to wonder if he's at least considering it...
Unless he gets a big raise and ridiculous buyout from Arkansas . . .

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I guess we have to look at it this way: At AU he will always be compared to whomever is at Bama. At AR, he'll be the main man 24/7 with no in-state competition and a lot less expectations.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
On the cusp of possibly knocking off the nos. 1 and 2 teams within 3 weeks of one another, it will be interesting to see how the triangulation between Mazahn/Arkansas/Barn plays out. It is pretty obvious to me that Gus has wanted out-- but does he have a change of heart if the barn breaks open the vault with a huge base pay increase and long term extension?
The perfect scenario for me would be for us to beat the Barn in a close game, but the PTB at Auburn decide that good old Gus has "turned the corner" and give him a Chiz type contract extension with a huge buyout. Then watch the program "tank" next year, and have all the Aubies screaming to fire him by the end of next year.

Hey...a fellow can dream, can't he?
This scenario would be "so auburn." Just a few weeks ago the talk was auburn would fire him. Now, he wins a few games and upsets Georgia and (if he were to upset Bama) the talk is he is now the answer.

No, dont want the barn to upset us, but if they do and the Barn were to renegotiate with Gus that would be hilarious considering the fact he's not a program builder and his success is based on the juco free agent market.

I wondered why this thread was at the top of the board and now I know why. Hadn't heard this about Gus and Arkansas but it makes total sense for him and the type of offense he runs.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
You hit another point of mine that I think is essential to the American mindset: the need for quantitative analytics. Efficiency, return on investment, etc is something essential to the American psyche (in my opinion wrongly) when sometimes the best decision for everyone involved and affected by the decision is the less efficient choice or the one that can't be explained any other way than a qualitative judgement.

I feel like this mindset is the core sickness to so many things in this country whether it is hiring people or how we assess public education effectiveness or just about anything.
[emoji849][emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.