Reports: Jeff Long out as Arkansas athletic director

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
FWIW, rumors in FBS coaching circles is that Gus is unhappy at Auburn and wants to 'go home' to Arky if Bert is fired...
Let's get that rumor spread this week and next. :biggrin2:

In all seriousness, I've heard it since last year when all the Jay Jacobs rumors first started, too.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Right now with all the turmoil in some of the SECprograms, nothing would shock me. Aubs got a mess and Jay Jacobs is on suicide watch. With other programs reeling who knows what happens after the season. Going to be crazy off season.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
FWIW, rumors in FBS coaching circles is that Gus is unhappy at Auburn and wants to 'go home' to Arky if Bert is fired...
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he hasn't been happy on the plains. I do know (from having extended family who live in Arkansas and who are Hog fans) that Bert's welcome is pretty much worn out and Gus would be welcomed "home" with open arms.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Sounds like someone didn't want to fire a head coach this week. I'd be surprised if Malzahn left Auburn but Arkansas is one of those places that makes sense if he did.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Sounds like someone didn't want to fire a head coach this week. I'd be surprised if Malzahn left Auburn but Arkansas is one of those places that makes sense if he did.
Honestly, I think Gus could be more successful at Arkansas than at Auburn. He wouldn't have as many outside forces meddling or trying to meddle in the program. He wouldn't have a former popular and successful HC roaming around the program.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
His reputation in Arkansas is such that he'll get anyone he wants in-state but that's not a great base to build on...

He might do it though.

WPS

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 14, 2015
Apparently Gus (and his wife) talked to some people about coming back home while they were here but after the win over Georgia I'm not sure he would leave now. A lot of fans seem to want Norvell.

I've heard Tuberville's name mentioned for AD too. I'm sure that would be fun for you guys if he and Gus were in the same athletic department lol

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Apparently Gus (and his wife) talked to some people about coming back home while they were here but after the win over Georgia I'm not sure he would leave now. A lot of fans seem to want Norvell.

I've heard Tuberville's name mentioned for AD too. I'm sure that would be fun for you guys if he and Gus were in the same athletic department lol
Why would one regular season win over Georgia be the determining factor in him making a long term career decision? It's not like they handed out a trophy after last week's game.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yep, if he's not been happy at Auburn that win just gives him some more bargaining chips to land wherever else with a bigger payday.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
He makes Mack Brown seem like Keith Jackson though
I would reverse that. Tubbs is bad, but I literally cannot bear to listen to Brown call a game at all. "Oh, Mack Brown is calling the game? MUTE BUTTON!"

Regarding Arky though, if they're going to fire Bielema I hope they do it now so AU has to deal with the "Gus to Arky" rumor mill during Iron Bowl prep - whether it's true or not.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.