Realistic expectations for this team

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We have shooters. Been a while since we could say that in the plural sense.

We have at least three who have height and ability to be at least effective in the paint.

^^
How strange and good to be able to say that without even factoring in Key, Norris, and Davis.

Barring bizarre injuries, top three or four of the conference seems reasonable, and that means NCAA tournament. Can our staff mesh the veterans, returnees from injuries, and young talent to make more than an appearance in the NCAA field? I think so.

Optimism about basketball . . . It feels good. :cool:
Not only shooters, but players with basketball savy and athletes. They have long arms for great defense too. Jones will become a freak. Petty will have some huge games (wouldn't be surprised to see him score in the 30's a few times when he has a super hot night) and Sexton may average a double double and I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a trible double a few games (points, assists and rebounds). That's just those super 3 and there's so much more!

I think we should be one of the top teams in the SEC and I think a run at the sweet 16 is very possible.

As for Sexton or Petty being one and done. Who can blame them, but if Johnson can recruit at that level we'll just reload each year with some young guns!

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
I believe three factors will determine how good this team will be: 1) Free-throw shooting (this alone may be the difference in seriously contending for the conference) 2) a willingness to defend the perimeter (Lipscomb would've matched us point for point if more of their open shots had fallen) 3) remembering to attack the offensive boards (Donta, and most likely Norris, don't have an issue with this but the rest have room for improvement). The last two are mostly a product young guys always being the best cat on the floor before and not worrying about D-ing up until now.

The great news that will overcome all these many nights is that we've got four or maybe five killers out there that can take over a game at any time. At no time in my fanhood, the mid-90s, have we had more than one or two at a time. We'll just have to get on the ride and see how it shakes out.

This team has a high ceiling regarding athleticism and shooting prowess, however, we'll know a lot more this time next week after they face two likely tournament teams in UT-Arlington (don't be surprised if this is a close; they're a veteran team that beat Oklahoma handily in an exhibition) and Minnesota in NY (unfortunately during the absolute middle of the Iron Bowl). I believe if the injured guys come back ready to fire to lead the young guys in cleaning up the little, yet crucial things, they have Sweet 16 (or beyond) potential.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If this team doesn’t make the big dance, do we start to question the wisdom in hiring Johnson?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
If this team doesn’t make the big dance, do we start to question the wisdom in hiring Johnson?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I personally hope not ... CAJ has the program trending in a positive and winning direction. Even though we have the talent, there are plenty of factors that could prevent this team from making the big dance that would be outside the realm of coaching. if they gel as a team, avoid suspensions, avoid the big head and avoid the injury bug for the majority of the season, this team will be in a good position to make the tourney. its not an easy road, the SEC will be tough with at least 6 or 7 quality teams this year. But I do believe that we can compete with anyone this year, which is a positive over having a team last year that already could have made the tourney with a few more wins. I really liked Grant as a coach, BUT we would not be in the same position we are now if he was still here. Just being real.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
We should, at a minimum, finish in the top 3 in the SEC for the regular season and play in the SEC championship game. Making the tournament is almost a given at this point unless something unforeseen happens like a bunch of injuries. If the team stays intact and we get Norris and Key back healthy I think this team, depending on tournament matchups, make it at least to the round of 32. I think by the end of the regular season that Alabama will undoubtedly by one of the best 32 teams in the country but how far we go in the tournament depends on our seed and matchups..

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Let's settle down on the NBA hype. Only 60 draft spots and the odds of making a roster as a 2nd rounder is very low. Sexton is obvious, Petty could w/ a big year but may not project as a top 30 player. Hall was projected as a 2nd rounder in a mock draft RTR91 posted but does he roll the dice on being a 2nd rounder and possibly not making a roster or come back for his senior year and improve his stock. Nobody else on the roster projects as a draft pick right now IMO.
I look at Sexton and I think he has one foot out the door as we speak. He'll increase his value this year playing a full year, and the in no doubt in my mind he would benefit from another year here, but I don't think it going to happen. Petty is really good, and I would compare him to DeAaron Fox of UK last year. I think he is further along than Fox was at this time in his college career. If he averages in the high teen's or 20's this year which is very possible, I think he would make the jump as well. The question about Dazon Ingram may be how far along he is in his education, if he has his degree,( he should be pretty close as most kids go to classes year round) why would he stay? The bigs are another question. I think both Hall and Giddens are not ready at this point, but you never know until you see the full body of work this year. Giddens has been a foul machine so far so I think he will not be drafted unless that changes drastically. I think there is a good likelihood of losing 2, but there could be more depending on how the team finishes this year.

We need everyone to buy a ticket and come tomorrow. Big Game against a team that beat Oklahoma in an exhibition game.
BUCKLE UP BAMA!

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I look at Sexton and I think he has one foot out the door as we speak. He'll increase his value this year playing a full year, and the in no doubt in my mind he would benefit from another year here, but I don't think it going to happen. Petty is really good, and I would compare him to DeAaron Fox of UK last year. I think he is further along than Fox was at this time in his college career. If he averages in the high teen's or 20's this year which is very possible, I think he would make the jump as well. The question about Dazon Ingram may be how far along he is in his education, if he has his degree,( he should be pretty close as most kids go to classes year round) why would he stay? The bigs are another question. I think both Hall and Giddens are not ready at this point, but you never know until you see the full body of work this year. Giddens has been a foul machine so far so I think he will not be drafted unless that changes drastically. I think there is a good likelihood of losing 2, but there could be more depending on how the team finishes this year.
We need everyone to buy a ticket and come tomorrow. Big Game against a team that beat Oklahoma in an exhibition game.
BUCKLE UP BAMA!
Start on his bachelor's and play another year to improve his stock. If he comes out and does not get drafted what does he do? Try Europe, D-league? I think he would rather continue playing at Bama. I totally agree with you on Sexton and Petty.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Start on his bachelor's and play another year to improve his stock. If he comes out and does not get drafted what does he do? Try Europe, D-league? I think he would rather continue playing at Bama. I totally agree with you on Sexton and Petty.
I am arguing that he is going to go pro. I certainly do not know. He may stay and then again he may not. If he blows up this year, he could go. He has been on some draft boards last year. He is a good rebounder and shooter to go with his height, and size. He has become a better ball handler. It is hard to find guys who have the talent to shot a 3, drive to the basket and dish it off. Most guys don't have all of those in their skill set. Dazon does. I just think he has a shot at being drafted. I'd like to have him another year as well, but I don't think we can count on it as a certainty. There are lots of factors involved. I commented the other day to my wife walking out after the game that Dazon seems to be enjoying himself. He looks way more relaxed since the weight of the whole team is off his shoulders and there is talent around him.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
I assume you mean Master's?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Considering how long it has been since Alabama basketball has made the tournament, and how young the team is, I don't see how you can make that a referendum on his tenure. If this team falls flat on their face, I'm more inclined to think it would involve off field issues (there was already a close call), injuries, that sort of thing. The problem is the NCAA tournament has so many automatic bids that it can push out strong teams that struggle a bit with RPI. I think a more healthy goal in terms of being on the right track would be if this team can hit 20 wins. If he keeps showing progress from year to year, that's what we should hope for. Of course I have higher expectations...

On the bright side, Alabama's RPI is currently sitting at a healthy 38. Their upcoming game is against what seems to be an entirely legit UTA team with an RPI of 3. It's early of course, but UTA already beat BYU and Loyola, this will be a big test of where this team is at. If Alabama wins this it will certainly put them on the right track for the tournament.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Considering how long it has been since Alabama basketball has made the tournament, and how young the team is, I don't see how you can make that a referendum on his tenure. If this team falls flat on their face, I'm more inclined to think it would involve off field issues (there was already a close call), injuries, that sort of thing. The problem is the NCAA tournament has so many automatic bids that it can push out strong teams that struggle a bit with RPI. I think a more healthy goal in terms of being on the right track would be if this team can hit 20 wins. If he keeps showing progress from year to year, that's what we should hope for. Of course I have higher expectations...

On the bright side, Alabama's RPI is currently sitting at a healthy 38. Their upcoming game is against what seems to be an entirely legit UTA team with an RPI of 3. It's early of course, but UTA already beat BYU and Loyola, this will be a big test of where this team is at. If Alabama wins this it will certainly put them on the right track for the tournament.
Very big game ... hoping they show up as a team and show out. UTA is going to bring their A game.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Bama's schedule looks like it is a bear. 4 games against teams currently in the AP top 8: Ariz, UF (2), UK; 7 games vs top 16: Minn, AM (2) and 13 games against teams receiving votes this week: Texas, OU, Ark, Tx Arl, Rhode Island, Belmont. 16 games vs teams receiving votes counting the Coaches poll: Missouri, USCe, UGA. Over half of the schedule against teams currently receiving votes in one or both polls. 13 vs teams that are in both polls.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
Bama's schedule looks like it is a bear. 4 games against teams currently in the AP top 8: Ariz, UF (2), UK; 7 games vs top 16: Minn, AM (2) and 13 games against teams receiving votes this week: Texas, OU, Ark, Tx Arl, Rhode Island, Belmont. 16 games vs teams receiving votes counting the Coaches poll: Missouri, USCe, UGA. Over half of the schedule against teams currently receiving votes in one or both polls. 13 vs teams that are in both polls.

This is awesome. It will only make us that much better and tougher come tournament time. Coach A knows what he's doing.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
I love the fearless scheduling. If we find 20 wins along the way, I believe that locks up the NCAA. If they win a couple big ones, slightly less than 20 might be enough with that slate. You've got to associate with the cool kids before becoming one... and things like scoring a home and home (as in not some tournament) with Arizona is big news. I couldn't be much happier with the way AJ has carried out his plan thus far. I'm hoping a couple back-to-back tourney teams can result in a new home that isn't caked in asbestos, sentimental value of Coleman noted.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Malzahn coaching records at Auburn

Auburn record (2013-present): 44-20

Career record against SEC opponents: 25-15

vs. Arkansas: 4-1, vs. Ole Miss: 4-1, vs. Tennessee: 1-0, vs. South Carolina: 1-0, vs. Missouri: 2-0, vs. Kentucky: 1-0, vs. Vanderbilt: 1-0, vs. Texas A&M: 3-2, vs. LSU: 2-3, vs. Mississippi State: 3-2, vs. Alabama: 1-3, vs. Georgia: 2-3

Other coaching stats for Malzahn since taking the Auburn job in 2013:

Record vs. Top 10 opponents: 5-8

Record vs. Top 25 opponents: 14-12
I’d say all of those numbers are in our favor.....look at his record against the three toughest opponents on his schedule each year....

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.