Realistic expectations for this team

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
It's early. Clearly, we don't know everything about this team. With Norris and Key on the mend and looking to get back into the fold, we still are missing a couple key pieces.

With that being said, I'm interested to know what early (perhaps premature) expectations are for this team ---- and maybe we won't have some of those answers until we being the SEC gauntlet.

Can we challenge KY and FL for the SEC championship?

I think the NCAA Tournament is a no-brainer - how deep can we go?

I know, I know - pump the brakes. But I'm interested in what other folks think of the club/future.

yesitsmed23

1st Team
Aug 28, 2008
Huntsville, AL
When Key and Norris get back, I expect us to compete and even defeat KY and FL (had FL beat last year). I think if this team comes together they have a shot at winning the SEC possibly, but rebounding and free throw shooting will have to improve and have to stay healthy. My expectations are to at least finish 4th in the SEC regular season, final four in the SEC tourney and win at least 1 game in the tourney.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Anything less than an NCAA tourney bid this year is not acceptable.
I have not looked at the overall schedule but beating UK and UF depends on where we play them. It will be very difficult to go to Rupp and beat UK as well as taking the Gators out on their home floor.
A finish anywhere from 2-4 in the SEC is realistic IMO.
We have to win a game or two we should not win, win the ones we are suppose to win and keep the injury bug away to make any deep run in the NCCA.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
At some point the question will come up, so I'll ask it now....

Sexton will jump after this year....

What about Petty? Will he come back? Key? Ingram?

There are only 64 guys that get drafted in the NBA.

I'm not wanting a one-done type season - hoping to see something mature into a "well-oiled machine"

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
At some point the question will come up, so I'll ask it now....

Sexton will jump after this year....

What about Petty? Will he come back? Key? Ingram?

There are only 64 guys that get drafted in the NBA.

I'm not wanting a one-done type season - hoping to see something mature into a "well-oiled machine"

I'd say Sexton will be gone. We'll be lucky to have Key stick around considering he wanted to bolt after last season. We'll see how his game has progressed from last year to this.

Petty will be interesting. We'll have to see how the season unfolds.

Unfortunately, in this day and age of instant gratification combined with the allure thrown at players by agents, many players try and make the jump before they're ready.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'd say Sexton will be gone. We'll be lucky to have Key stick around considering he wanted to bolt after last season. We'll see how his game has progressed from last year to this.

Unfortunately, in this day and age of instant gratification combined with the allure thrown at players by agents, many players try and make the jump before they're ready.
Sexton is gone. Petty? Very possible.

Not sure about Key. He declared for the draft this year, not to actually get drafted but to get feedback on how he needs to improve his game.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I don't like to say things are acceptable or unacceptable because I am just a fan, but from what I have seen of games 1 and 2 we are definitely one of the best 64 teams in the country. We may very well be one of the top 25 teams in the country. Get into the NCAA's and then play one game at a time. We will see.

I have been watching this stuff since the early 70's, and from what I have seen in just these two games this team is something special.

rtr

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Once this teams gets to know each other and gels a bit I think it could definitely contend for the SEC and should definitely make the dance. But it is early and a lot can happen.
As far as Kentucky it was pretty unanimous on Sirius college sports radio today that it may be one of their toughest years in awhile. A couple of analysts said they expect the Cats to lose at least ten games in the regular season.
Not sure about Florida.
Realistically, I just hope we continually improve through the season and win the games we "should". The rest will take care of itself.

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017
we get Florida twice I think we beat them at home and lose to them and KY AT their place.as far as OOC I think we are 10-2.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

Or...someone wants to pay them a few million guaranteed to play a game they have played all their lives. If someone offered any of us that deal to work for them, we would take it and no one would say anything.

True -- some are not ready...but I have interviewed persons with Masters degrees who weren't ready to work...this is the world we live in and we best adapt to it because it is not changing for us.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Impossible to predict after only 2 games....Are we going to be explosive on offense this year, or were we just hot the first two games?. Will our free throw shooting be an asset or a liability down the stretch? Will we play great as a team, or will early success create selfish play? I dunno..........but what I have seen the first two games is a level of athleticism that I haven't seen since the days of Horry and Sprewell, and that gets me excited about the possibilities!

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
We're certainly off to a good start. While I think Lipscomb will compete for their conference spot, it is too early to know how good the win over Memphis will turn out to be - but at least they are a known team with a respected coach. I'd like to think we're a tournament worthy team, but I'm waiting to set/alter my expectations until we get to the Christmas break and the team has had time to settle into their offensive/defensive schemes, develope some cohesion, and play these games: BYU/Minnesota/@Arizona/Texas. By the time conference games begin we should have a good feel for what this team we have and how far they might be able to go. I'm hoping to raise my expectations - appreciably.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
We have shooters. Been a while since we could say that in the plural sense.

We have at least three who have height and ability to be at least effective in the paint.

^^
How strange and good to be able to say that without even factoring in Key, Norris, and Davis.

Barring bizarre injuries, top three or four of the conference seems reasonable, and that means NCAA tournament. Can our staff mesh the veterans, returnees from injuries, and young talent to make more than an appearance in the NCAA field? I think so.

Optimism about basketball . . . It feels good. :cool:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
We have shooters. Been a while since we could say that in the plural sense.

We have at least three who have height and ability to be at least effective in the paint.

^^
How strange and good to be able to say that without even factoring in Key, Norris, and Davis.

Barring bizarre injuries, top three or four of the conference seems reasonable, and that means NCAA tournament. Can our staff mesh the veterans, returnees from injuries, and young talent to make more than an appearance in the NCAA field? I think so.

Optimism about basketball . . . It feels good. :cool:
Good observations...the pieces are in there...the question is whether they can come together and play WINNING basketball in the close games. Can we score when the game is on the line against a quality opponent? Can we get a stop in the same circumstances? Are we mature enough to handle crowds, etc., at major foes' arenas? Time will tell...I do like our chances.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
You are right, it is early. My expectation is that we go the tourney and do some damage. I am hoping final 4 type damage or at least sweet 16 if we stay healthy. We have got to stay healthy. While this team is fairly deep, the rotation will look different once the SEC schedule begins and those 7 or 8 guys need to stay on the court.

I think Sexton could use another year of experience, but he'll probably leap to the NBA after one year. He has tremendous natural gifts, but I think he'd be drafted higher if he stays another year with CAJ teaching him. The money will be there this year or next. Petty is another story completely. He is basically a shooter. If he can be productive and shoot a high percentage, I think he is gone. He is very unselfish and makes the guys around him better which is rare in a guy who likes to shoot. I think if Braxton can dominate this year, he is gone as well, but I'll qualify that with he has to raise his overall level of play. He needs fewer turnovers and he needs to be efficient shooting the ball. This one may surprise you, but Dazon is a possibility as well. He is just a solid all around player. He may have his degree soon since this is his 3rd year(or he should be very close) and he has developed into a very good player. He is a good defender, he shoots efficiently, and his free throws shooting is the best on the team. Donta Hall and Giddens could be in line to leave if either or both have a break out year. You can't teach height. I personally don't think either is close to ready, but we will see.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
You are right, it is early. My expectation is that we go the tourney and do some damage. I am hoping final 4 type damage or at least sweet 16 if we stay healthy. We have got to stay healthy. While this team is fairly deep, the rotation will look different once the SEC schedule begins and those 7 or 8 guys need to stay on the court.

I think Sexton could use another year of experience, but he'll probably leap to the NBA after one year. He has tremendous natural gifts, but I think he'd be drafted higher if he stay another year with CAJ teaching him. They money will be there this year or next. Petty is another story completely. He is basically a shooter. If he can be productive and shoot a high percentage, I think he is gone. He is very unselfish and makes the guys around him better which is rare in a guy who likes to shoot. I think if Braxton has a dominate year, he is gone as well, but I'll qualify that with he has to raise his overall level of play. He needs fewer turnovers and he needs to be efficient shooting the ball. This one may surprise you, but Dazon is a possibility as well. He is just a solid all around player. He may have his degree soon since this is his 3rd year(or he should be very close) and he has developed into a very good player. He is a good defender, he shoots efficiently, and his free throws shooting is the best on the team. Donta Hall and Giddens could be in line to leave if either or both have a break out year. You can't teach height. I personally don't think either is close to ready, but we will see.
With Davis and Norris gone after this year and only three 2018 signees thus far, we can't really afford to have Sexton, Petty, and one of the other four leave early. Would be a roster killer.

IIRC, Hall was on some early 2018 draft projections after the 2017 draft. He doesn't get the publicity the others do, but he might be gone if he's improved enough.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

I think Sexton could use another year of experience, but he'll probably leap to the NBA after one year. He has tremendous natural gifts, but I think he'd be drafted higher if he stays another year with CAJ teaching him. The money will be there this year or next. Petty is another story completely. He is basically a shooter. If he can be productive and shoot a high percentage, I think he is gone. He is very unselfish and makes the guys around him better which is rare in a guy who likes to shoot. I think if Braxton can dominate this year, he is gone as well, but I'll qualify that with he has to raise his overall level of play. He needs fewer turnovers and he needs to be efficient shooting the ball. This one may surprise you, but Dazon is a possibility as well. He is just a solid all around player. He may have his degree soon since this is his 3rd year(or he should be very close) and he has developed into a very good player. He is a good defender, he shoots efficiently, and his free throws shooting is the best on the team. Donta Hall and Giddens could be in line to leave if either or both have a break out year. You can't teach height. I personally don't think either is close to ready, but we will see.
I was thinking that all the talk has been about other players while Ingram drifts along as possibly the best player on the team. He has excellent size (height and strength), speed and skills for his position. Coach Johnson mentioned that he discussed with Ingram about taking shots when available rather than passing them up like he often did last year. Ingram led the team in 3-point percentage but often turned them down and looked to get others involved in scoring before he did.

Also, I remember many times being frustrated when Bama teams would begin to stack up some talent and look to have major experience coming up just to lose some
players early. Good recruiting is a blessing and a curse...mostly a blessing.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Let's settle down on the NBA hype. Only 60 draft spots and the odds of making a roster as a 2nd rounder is very low. Sexton is obvious, Petty could w/ a big year but may not project as a top 30 player. Hall was projected as a 2nd rounder in a mock draft RTR91 posted but does he roll the dice on being a 2nd rounder and possibly not making a roster or come back for his senior year and improve his stock. Nobody else on the roster projects as a draft pick right now IMO.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
With Davis and Norris gone after this year and only three 2018 signees thus far, we can't really afford to have Sexton, Petty, and one of the other four leave early. Would be a roster killer.

IIRC, Hall was on some early 2018 draft projections after the 2017 draft. He doesn't get the publicity the others do, but he might be gone if he's improved enough.
I heard Wimp say Armond likely would not be back this year and that he'll likely do the graduate transfer thing next year. We need to be prepared for some pretty major losses to the NBA if we keep recruiting and developing talent. I don't think Pelphrey gets enough credit for the job he is doing developing our bigs. Donta Hall has improved greatly IMHO in the last 2 years. We may have to dip into the junior college ranks this year if we lose too many to the pros plus we still have the late signing period when we'll have a better idea of our potential roster losses. Roster management is something we never really did or had to do under Grant, but CAJ will have to start considering replacing players possibly every year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.