Bama linebacker Ben Davis

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
I don't know why people associate the recruiting ranking with the player. Once they get to Alabama, it does not mean anything. Everyone starts over.
Well, I never said it makes him the best player on Bama's roster. What I meant was this kid was a consensus 5 star recruit who was evaluated by a lot of people who do that for a living. They know what a 5 star recruit looks like and a 5 star linebacker should be an elite athlete who could at least contribute on special teams. I fully understand the rankings don't mean a thing now, but the only think we truly know about this kid is his name and how he was perceived as a high school player.

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
Coaling, Alabama, United States
His point is valid, though. There aren't any real comparisons to Ben Davis. Reggie, Rashaan, CJ, and Reuben all played as freshmen. Davis still hasn't played as a RS freshman, whether it be on ST or fourth string defense. That's troubling.
I heard that he doesn't like contact. That doesn't work very well in out system.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
There was a fair amount of discussion on this board that Foster might be a special teams terror only - and then it kicked in for him.
Took a few years for Reuben Foster as well. But when the light finally came on, it was blinding. Hoping for the same with Davis.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
How the heck can the son of the leading tackler in school history not like contact?? That's like Neil Armstrong's son being afraid of heights.
Agreed. Folks need to get a grip. Go back and watch his HS tape. This guys is not afraid of contact. Honestly, the things that some people say. SMH

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
IMO, we need to get better up front on D regardless of who is at LB. Hard to play that spot with offensive guards hanging all over you.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Agreed. Folks need to get a grip. Go back and watch his HS tape. This guys is not afraid of contact. Honestly, the things that some people say. SMH
ok - went and checked out his highlights, and I agree it would be a stretch to say he doesn't like contact because he's quite a hitter.

That said, most often instead of directly taking on a lead block, he did tend to try to slip/dodge the block to one side. His speed allowed him to do this at the HS level, because even he he dodged the wrong way his length and agility meant he could still make the tackle. At the SEC level, that's not going to be the case. He's got to break that habit and be able to directly take on blocks. We could just be looking at a technique issue that he's having a hard time correcting.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Hear, hear! Ain't like he's the second coming of A.J. Hoax or something...

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Agreed. This is why we don't allow player rumors on this board. Someone posted that they heard he didn't like contact and people ran with it. Yall need to back off of that speculation now.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.