When did the team move to West sidelines?

rtr1964

Oct 3, 2012
I'm 53 and remember Alabama using the East sidelines at BDS for years. One reason I heard was Coach Bryant wanted to be sure Mommas could see their boys on TV. What coach moved to the West side?

Last edited:

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
You are correct. They did used to sit on the other side of the field and I do seem to remember that Coach Bryant said that was the reason. However, that was changed many years ago, long before Coach Saban. I do not remember who changed it or why. Though, with all of the cameras on TV broadcasts nowadays it probably doesn't matter as much which side they sit on.

GHoppr

Suspended
Oct 18, 2017
Madison, AL.
I think they've been on the West sideline since at least DuBose. I can't remember if Coach Stallings moved... I wouldn't think since he was a player for Coach and wanted to keep the tradition or not... yeah, I know DuBose played for CPB too, but he wasn't too keen on keeping any tradition alive... (30yr win streak in Tiger Stadium for one) still ...... me off.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Actually, it looks like it was Shula in 2003. We were still on the East sideline in the Iron Bowl in 2002.
Yea, I would have "Sworn" Perk moved us ;) - but looking at the video's, we are still on the far side with the sun in our faces in 2002, and on the "home" side in 2003.

Honestly, being on the far side made all the sense in the world when Bryant first did it "way back when" - whenever he started it. Back in those days, when a game was televised, the network might have brought 3 maybe 4 total cameras, and all of them were located on the home side. So you'd only see the backs of the "Home" coaches and the faces of the "away" coaches - Bryant realized he was "advertising" the wrong coach and wrong team each time Alabama was on TV!!!

So it made all the sense in the world back then. In today's game? With cameras at every possible angle (including above), not so much!

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I think they've been on the West sideline since at least DuBose. I can't remember if Coach Stallings moved... I wouldn't think since he was a player for Coach and wanted to keep the tradition or not... yeah, I know DuBose played for CPB too, but he wasn't too keen on keeping any tradition alive... (30yr win streak in Tiger Stadium for one) still ...... me off.
I remember sitting on the east sideline in the Stallings era and the team was in front of us. I used to sit with my aunt and uncle in the student section when it was there on the east side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
Was it Dennis Franchione that made the change for that very reason because of the sun and heat?
Actually Coach Shula made the change. I actually recommended to Coach Fran his first year to change sidelines because of the shade vs the heat; but he disregarded the suggestion. I guess the switch will be Shula's legacy.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I have plenty of other things you could have recommended to Coach Fran too!!!
Actually Coach Shula made the change. I actually recommended to Coach Fran his first year to change sidelines because of the shade vs the heat; but he disregarded the suggestion. I guess the switch will be Shula's legacy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.