What are your Thanksgiving plans?

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
We are staying in town and playing host to my wife's sisters and brother and their families. Per usual, we'll have a mix a traditional American food and some Vietnamese favorites. On principle I've protested the inclusion of the latter as I don't believe the Pilgrims and Indians had eggrolls for dinner. My opinion on the matter has been roundly ignored, also per usual.

What are you doing for the long weekend?

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
i am working all the way up to late Wednesday. Traveling to Alabama to visit my mom. Eat lots of great food, sleep, get up Saturday and travel back to Atlanta watch the game, eat some more, sleep some more. I have to be back at work, we have a deadline Tuesday after Thanksgiving (apparently our client doesn't own a calendar).

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
we are hosting my wife's family for lunch thursday then sending our daughter home with the grandparents for the weekend. standard fare, and i plan on ending the lunch fairly quickly. we plan to head up to cloudland canyon state park where we have rented a yurt for friday-sunday.

will probably be watching the barn game at some bar in chattanooga

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
smoking 1-2 turkeys (tbd) and frying one. Wifes family is coming, inlaws one of her brothers, 2 of her sisters. Lots of freaking screaming kids, my parents, my brother and his wife and about a 1/2 dozen or so of our friends that have families that live elsewhere and can't get home for the holiday. Lots of food, beer, football and fun to be had until the Iron Bowl as there are several Auburn fans in the mix

Highway59

1st Team
Jan 29, 2009
In Alabama off "highway59"
Always have done the traditional family Thanksgiving meal and gathering. This year we are heading off
to New York City for a few days. For some reason I've always wanted to be at the Macy's day parade
on the holiday. Never been to the Big Apple, so it should be interesting to say the least..... Any advice???
No, not going is not really a option....:D

:eek:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Always have done the traditional family Thanksgiving meal and gathering. This year we are heading off
to New York City for a few days. For some reason I've always wanted to be at the Macy's day parade
on the holiday. Never been to the Big Apple, so it should be interesting to say the least..... Any advice???

best advice I can give on NYC is stay as far away from the spot where that pic was taken as possible. There is nothing good to be found in Times Square. Even if you want cheap show tickets, better off going down to the Tckts booth at the South Seaport area. You can also get close to the Statue of Liberty for free by riding the Staten Island Ferry. IT doesn't stop but you get a good view. Also Empire state building has stupid long waits, like 3-4 hours to get to the observation deck whereas the top of Rockefeller center is usually considerably faster and offers great views too.

Have fun

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
We always stay here and have Thanksgiving with family. I am just happy for a long weekend. I will start decorating for Christmas next week. :biggrin2:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

One of the saddest things I've seen .... A few years ago my family did a weekend trip to NYC. There's an enormous Olive Garden in Times Square that was packed with tourists. Now, I'm not hating on Olive Garden in particular. But, why would anyone visiting NYC go to a chain restaurant? You have thousands of better choices. Expand your horizons just a little. How about going to a place you can't eat at in Podunk, USA? SMH.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
We are staying in town and playing host to my wife's sisters and brother and their families. Per usual, we'll have a mix a traditional American food and some Vietnamese favorites. On principle I've protested the inclusion of the latter as I don't believe the Pilgrims and Indians had eggrolls for dinner. My opinion on the matter has been roundly ignored, also per usual.

What are you doing for the long weekend?
Long weekend? Thursday is not a weekend.:frown:

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)
Ducking out of the Classic City (that is, Athens) on early Tuesday afternoon and getting as far as Montgomery (about 3 1/2 hours down the road) and spending Tuesday night and Wednesday showing my kids my old stomping grounds up in Prattville and visiting a few long time family friends who my wife and I haven't seen in years (and none of which have met our children). Early Wednesday afternoon heading down to Orange Beach for Thanksgiving with my parents, two sisters and their families. (We've rented a condo down there for Thanksgiving every year save 2008 and 2016 since 2005).

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
One of the saddest things I've seen .... A few years ago my family did a weekend trip to NYC. There's an enormous Olive Garden in Times Square that was packed with tourists. Now, I'm not hating on Olive Garden in particular. But, why would anyone visiting NYC go to a chain restaurant? You have thousands of better choices. Expand your horizons just a little. How about going to a place you can't eat at in Podunk, USA? SMH.
you can go ahead and hate on olive garden. it is god awful

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
A buddy of mine from Hackensack NJ taught me the best trick for finding great Italian food in NYC. Go in the door and look at the wait staff, if the waiters are really old Italian men the food will be great. His theory, "these old guys, they don't put up with crap food" I have found his method to be spot on when in the city

lazlohollyfeld

1st Team
Jul 20, 2010
Allen, TX
That old Olive Garden commercial used to annoy me (especially my Italian friend). You know the one: Worst fake Italian accent ever “My uncle come over from Sicily, we took him to the Olive Garden”.
The best part is when the uncle has tears in his eyes as he eats his Salmon Piccata Bolognese "Issa jus likka Momma used to make!"

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Travel 20 miles to Huntsville. Thanksgiving dinner at my son's house. His girlfriend will prepare the food.( Hopefully, she will soon be my daughter in law ) Her parents who are from Houston will be spending the week at my son's house. Might delay my tryptophan somnambulance.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Our big family Thanksgivings fell apart long ago due to family drama and infighting so usually our plans end up being in flux until the last minute. I think this year that we're driving up with my parent's to meet my sister's family to eat at Cracker Barrel (which is always super crowded) and then heading back home to go have dinner with one of my close friends who doesn't have a lot of family and has even less this year due to... you guessed it... family drama and infighting.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Work at a chain retailer, soooooo . . .
There at noon to prep for the 2 pm open. Hoping for minimal abhorant behavior.

" I'm grateful for the work" :biggrin2:

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.