News Article: Trump appoints young Alabama lawyer to be a judge

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
please, a Whipple? Sounds easy------>googles----> nevermind I would kill anyone I tried to do that on

I'll reiterate from the other thread. I wouldn't care if Brett felt exactly the same way I did on every single topic he simply is not qualified for this job and he should remove himself from consideration.
A pathologist once replied to my identical question - "You end up with a pile of guts on the table beside you"...

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I don't know much about being a Judge. BiB has been a law clerk for several important Judges as well as assistant attorney general. Does a person really have to be a trial lawyer to be a judge? I thought BiB was for unrestricted immigration?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
No one has asked this question, but I wonder how Stern et al. knew to look at Tidefans. I mean if a guy gets nominated for the federal bench, the first thought of most Slate journalists is not, "Let's see if he has an account on a sport message board."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
No one has asked this question, but I wonder how Stern et al. knew to look at Tidefans. I mean if a guy gets nominated for the federal bench, the first thought of most Slate journalists is not, "Let's see if he has an account on a sport message board."
You'd better bet we've been asking the question. The only logical answer is that someone who posts here tipped them off...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
You guys do know Brett's been married for a few years, right? Not like he got married a few months ago, and then Trump nominated him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
You guys do know Brett's been married for a few years, right? Not like he got married a few months ago, and then Trump nominated him.

I had no idea, no. Must have missed it or forgot.

there was a very clear difference in him once Trump started to ascend. Honestly it shocked me at the time. A guy who I knew to be reasonable and willing to be honest in debate suddenly wasn't. And then he got smart and vanished

I suspect it was that he was too close with his wife a White House insider and all. He can't really come on here and talk Russia with us when his wife is being interviewed by the Special Consuls office as a part of the Russia investigation can he?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
sounds like the guy found it from the post where he mentioned the wapo article and his name here a few years back

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I was wondering how his name came up to Trump to begin with. I mean, he is a Harvard grad (did I read that correctly?), which ain't nothing, but having limited experience in the court room would mean waiting, finding jobs that would qualify him, doing well at those jobs, gaining a solid reputation, then, if the offer came a decade or two down the road, go for it.

Then, I saw on the Buzzfeed article that he's married "to a lawyer in the White House counsel's office, Ann Donaldson." I think that oversight will cost him more than any opinion he might have expressed on this forum.
Interesting to note that a recent Obama nominee to the Supreme Court didn’t have much trial experience. But maybe trial experience isn’t important to serving a lifetime appointment on the highest court in the land and hearing the most important cases.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I had no idea, no. Must have missed it or forgot.

there was a very clear difference in him once Trump started to ascend. Honestly it shocked me at the time. A guy who I knew to be reasonable and willing to be honest in debate suddenly wasn't. And then he got smart and vanished

I suspect it was that he was too close with his wife a White House insider and all. He can't really come on here and talk Russia with us when his wife is being interviewed by the Special Consuls office as a part of the Russia investigation can he?
Think he's been married for a couple of years now.

I figured he's not posted much (he hasn't much on any sports board) because he's too busy compared to previous jobs.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
You'd better bet we've been asking the question. The only logical answer is that someone who posts here tipped them off...
I haven't tried it, but googling his name might lead a researcher to the Washington Post write up about his fiction writing, as well as his post from tidefans that included his name when he started the thread about the article.

I wonder if the non-sports board has seen a spike in traffic now that we are in the news.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
They may have gotten a google hit here in connection to him promoting his books.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
The other day I mentioned not surprised that Buzzfeed had google but after I said that I tried a few times to use my Google-Fu to search excluding any kind of mention of Tidefans to see if I could pull up one of the Tidefans threads where he mentions who he was in search and didn't have any luck. Was trying again just now and of course it's a lot harder because of how many new articles there are about him clogging up the search but still even going 10 pages deep on some searches I don't see anything. Granted someone more focused on journalism may have me outclassed at google-fu.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yes, but finding his posts are like finding a needle in a field full of haystacks. How did Stern know which haystack to look in?
he's got a blurb at the bottom asking folks to email him with posts from bamainboston, so i think he's got a bunch of nerds searching the forum for posts he's in.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
They may have gotten a google hit here in connection to him promoting his books.

In a cursory Google search the other day, the only TF thread that came up for me was someone asking about one of his books with no reference to him (book title only).

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't know much about being a Judge. BiB has been a law clerk for several important Judges as well as assistant attorney general. Does a person really have to be a trial lawyer to be a judge? I thought BiB was for unrestricted immigration?
Well, now. There have been many people with academic backgrounds appointed, just not any I can think of with a few years clerking and closing loans doesn't count at all. The ABA doesn't hand out "NQs" lightly. This year, the Trump administration departed from a custom set back when Eisenhower was in office in 1953 in refusing to submit potential nominees for review pre-nomination. They stated they would give them the names afterwards...

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Well, now. There have been many people with academic backgrounds appointed, just not any I can think of with a few years clerking and closing loans doesn't count at all. The ABA doesn't hand out "NQs" lightly. This year, the Trump administration departed from a custom set back when Eisenhower was in office in 1953 in refusing to submit potential nominees for review pre-nomination. They stated they would give them the names afterwards...
I haven't studied all of the nominations, but I wouldn't be surprised if Trump's nominees are trending on the younger side.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.