News Article: Trump appoints young Alabama lawyer to be a judge

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I wondered if BinB does not clear the appointment, would he start posting on this board again? I do understand his not posting now, while under consideration.
Boy, I don't know. If confirmed, he might thank his lucky stars he survived his near-death experience (career near-death, not biological near-death) and never come back here again.
It is difficult to remove a federal judge, but not impossible.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Well, the Senate just confirmed another federal judged deemed "not qualified" by the ABA, so Brett will probably make it in. LINK

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Boy, I don't know. If confirmed, he might thank his lucky stars he survived his near-death experience (career near-death, not biological near-death) and never come back here again.
It is difficult to remove a federal judge, but not impossible.
I don't think he would start posting again if he's confirmed. But I wonder if he would if his nomination is withdrawn. He might have decided posting political stuff here won't advance his career whether he gets the Federal judgeship or not.
And frankly I wonder if he would feel a tad sheepish about having been nominated if he were back around his old posting buddies.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Looks like Brett is doing the right thing

https://www.buzzfeed.com/zoetillman...ican-roadblock?utm_term=.bcZ0XgnXK#.lsLlM0WMY

One of President Donald Trump's controversial judicial nominees, Brett Talley, has offered to withdraw his nomination, a source close to the situation told BuzzFeed News.

The White House had not announced any change in Talley's status as of Tuesday evening. Talley communicated his offer of withdrawal to the White House last week, according to the source.

If the White House does decide to withdraw Talley's name, it would be Trump's first unsuccessful judicial nomination.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I'm a little bit saddened.
At least he was a judicial nominee who had heard of the doctrine of enumerated federal powers.
I doubt most federal judicial nominees have even heard of the idea.
Most seem to believe "con law is whatever I say it is," which translates easily into "con law is whatever I think it should have been."

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
At least he was a judicial nominee who had heard of the doctrine of enumerated federal powers.
Most seem to believe "con law is whatever I say it is," which translates easily into "con law is whatever I think it should have been."
he also had really interesting and as I'd argued with him ad nauseam over the years often incorrect interpretations of the Constitution.

I'm saddened that this may have effected his professional prospects down the road and truly hope he can put it behind him. We differ on a lot and I certainly don't want him on the bench (or anyone like him frankly) but he always seemed a decent person.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think his conflict of interest and his failure to disclose it on a sworn federal form, together with his total lack of any courtroom experience, are much more significant than his constitutional views...

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I was just thinking, of all the unqualified and incompetent people Trump has already put in Government service, it's almost a shame BinB got sifted out.

A lot worse that him have made the cut.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I think his conflict of interest and his failure to disclose it on a sworn federal form, together with his total lack of any courtroom experience, are much more significant than his constitutional views...
You're doubtless correct.
What strikes me is the lack of full disclosure. Would having a spouse working on the White House counsel's office have disqualified him from the job?
If not, why not disclose that fact?
It seems once again that it's not the wrong, its the cover-up that gets them.
Why is dishonesty (or in this case, lack of complete candor) the default setting in Washington? Something in the water up there? And how many other instances of dishonesty (or incomplete candor) are they getting away with?

Tider@GW_Law

All-American
Sep 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I was just thinking, of all the unqualified and incompetent people Trump has already put in Government service, it's almost a shame BinB got sifted out.

A lot worse that him have made the cut.
In the GOP circles in DC, a position with this WH administration is widely regarding as career suicide or something very close to it, though judicial appointments are obviously a very different animal. The main draw of admin appointments (it's not the loooong hours and crappy pay) is being able to use it as a jumping off point to bigger and better things, which hasn't been the case for folks "leaving" this admin.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.