Republican Tax Philosophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...all-team-is-very-worried-about-gop-tax-reform

For more than 30 years, colleges and universities have leaned on an obscure tax rule that allows sports boosters to make tax-deductible contributions to their teams. Athletic fundraisers around the country say that’s an advantage that generates millions in annual revenue – and one that’s threatened by Republican tax legislation.

The issue revolves around donations that confer the right to buy top-tier football and basketball tickets. Modeled after seat licenses in pro sports, these “contributions” have historically been 80 percent tax deductible and have become one of the three main revenue streams in college sports. Ticket sales and money earned from media rights are the other two.

The bill approved by the House Thursday would remove the tax incentive tied to those donations. Congressional tax writers say other kinds of tax relief in the bill are more important. “If seat license revenue is important to state-based colleges and universities, then states themselves can provide this tax benefit rather than federal taxpayers,” a House Ways and Means Committee spokesperson said in an email.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Or lower their prices.
Or raise salaries.
Or hire more employees.
Or invest in better technology.
Etc.

But, if you are so sure you know that only shareholders will benefit, then by all means be a shareholder. Take advantage of that superior knowledge. If you know that extra money is going to be there don't pass it up.
Watch CEOs admit they won’t actually invest more if tax reform passes

In just a few seconds, Gary Cohn accidentally illustrated the problem with the Republican tax plan

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
A few CEOs speak for all CEOs? No. And that's why my list contains "or" as its prefix. More accurately it should read "and/or". Each business will react to market and political forces and make the appropriate decisions. Regardless, I'd much rather see more of the private sector's money in the hands of the private sector instead of the wasteful hands of government.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
While I'd like to see lower/flatter taxation, the far bigger problem is spending. The feds spend about $4,000,000,000 a year. That's ridiculous. Not even considering the unconstitutional spending, realize that the federal government is the largest buyer of goods and services in the world. Each of the countless transactions is filled with a lot of waste.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Once you understand that, to the GOP, billionaires and corporations are the only Americans that matter, it's actually a pretty consistent philosophy.
Actually both sides only care about the people who will re-elect them. Everybody else can just deal with their mistakes. and that is what is consistent.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Actually both sides only care about the people who will re-elect them. Everybody else can just deal with their mistakes. and that is what is consistent.
I don't disagree, but I'm also going to push back against the false equivalence that some (not necessarily you with this post) make.

Dems aren't screwing consumers to benefit the telecom industry. Dems aren't trying to sell our National Parks for corporations to destroy with drilling. Dems aren't financing tax cuts on the wealthy donor class by taking away healthcare from children and poor Americans. Dems aren't making it harder for kids and young adults to get an education in order to further consolidate wealth in the 1%. Dems aren't abolishing protections against predatory lenders in order to grow corporate profits. I could go on for pages. Now, I'm hardly trying to argue that Democrats are as clean as pure snow, and both parties are beholden to the people who fund their campaigns (IMO, this is the largest single problem in American politics). But there are definite patterns to which groups each party is consistently trying to help, and who they're willing to harm in the process.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
IMO the best thing government can do to lower tuition is to get out of the student loan business. Causing costs to rise and then trying to make up for some it on the back end through deductions, exemptions, etc. is too much bureaucracy and too much inefficiently rigging the system. Far too many people take on too much debt pursuing degrees that don't improve one's lot in life. The government encourages way too many bad decisions.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
IMO the best thing government can do to lower tuition is to get out of the student loan business. Causing costs to rise and then trying to make up for some it on the back end through deductions, exemptions, etc. is too much bureaucracy and too much inefficiently rigging the system. Far too many people take on too much debt pursuing degrees that don't improve one's lot in life. The government encourages way too many bad decisions.
Sure, I'd much rather trust Betsy DeVos with my student loans.

What we probably can agree on is that too much focus is placed on 4-year degrees, when many people would be better served by vocational schooling that has largely evaporated. When essentially all jobs require more than a GED equivalent to even be interviewed, but all available schooling entails high cost and requires loans repaid at high interest rates, you're going to get a young population that enters the workforce in debt. Not everyone will be able to pay that off. Of those who can, their early years are focused on paying off their loans at the expense of spending that actually grows the economy -- like houses, cars, leisure. They hold off on having kids or starting families. It's a cascading effect that impacts the entire country. And until millennials get over their political apathy and start voting out the politicians who keep these absurd systems in place, the student loan industry will continue to drag our economy underwater like a cement block.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Dems aren't financing tax cuts on the wealthy donor class by taking away healthcare from children and poor Americans.

No, they just made mine illegal. Because I am too stupid to know what "healthcare" works best for me.

The arrogance that some schmuck politician can make that decision better than I can is why I despise ALL demonrats.

And about 90% of all repubilicants.

The end result is I have to pay a penalty, because I can not afford to buy insurance the gubbament insists that I have.

To fund giving "healthcare" to the so-called poor.

If I want to keep what little money that I have, I am called greedy. For someone else to demand that I fork it over....................somehow, they are not seen as greedy.

Anyone who believes that crap can move to Europe. And stay there. My family already bailed on it, for that very reason.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Cheap money always leads to a bubble. When it bursts, the folks who created it clamor for more gubbament control.

Right...................that makes sense...................

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Note to all, think carefully about becoming or continuing to be owners in any such companies.

My firm by the way is already considering all the financial opportunities that will arise with materially lower corporate taxes. It could have a meaningful impact on customer costs for example.
You know what my company does with extra money? Uses it for acquisitions. You know what happens during acquisitions? Streamlining operations a.k.a. layoffs. So when CEO's say they are going to look for acquisitions, this is going to have a negative impact on jobs.

Last edited:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Does anyone know how the tax plan will affect student-athletes? If it technically counts as a waiver, this tax plan could be the death of major college athletics, especially since tuition counting as income would greatly strengthen the argument that student-athletes are employees, and not merely student-athletes.

I have lots of problems with the tax plan in general, but taxing waived tuition as income is asinine. It is not earned income, and many PhD candidates are done taking classes for much of the time they spend in the program (at least in STEM). Past year 2 or so they spend the vast majority of their time as researchers. This plan makes us less competitive with essentially all other Western countries in such a highly competitive field that would drive our economy forward.

That said - a plan that moves towards lower business taxes and easier filing for businesses is very much needed. Small businesses that are already at a disadvantage considering scale and other factors get crushed by having to make entrepreneurs experts in tax just to stay competitive with the likes of Wal-Mart and Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.