Republican Tax Philosophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
The GOP tax plan also includes reducing the individual mandate penalty to $0, driving 13 million people immediately out of the healthcare market and skyrocketing prices for everyone who remains. The simple fact is that a market that only includes sick people cannot survive under the current structure. The only way they will be able to stabilize the insurance market after 13 million healthy people leave is by removing the restrictions on pre-existing conditions, which will drive additional millions (almost exclusively from poor and middle class) from the markets. In this GOP dystopia Congress is pushing, only the independently wealthy will have health insurance, only the rich will have access to education, and only billionaires and corporate donors will ever wield political power.

tl;dr The GOP plan is to remove health insurance access from the poor and middle class and redistribute that income to the 1%, effectively breaking the American health insurance industry in the process. Like I said before, the pattern of who the Republicans are continuously willing to screw over in order to help their wealthy donors and corporations couldn't be more clear.

Suddenly, the GOP tax bill has morphed into an attack on your healthcare

The line going around Washington these days is that the Republicans previously tried to hide a tax cut for the rich in their Obamacare repeal measures; and now they’re hiding an Obamacare repeal inside their tax cut bill.

That’s correct. The Senate Finance Committee on Tuesday slipped a provision into its tax cut bill that would effectively repeal the Affordable Care Act’s individual mandate. On the surface, this is a fiscal measure—it would theoretically reduce the federal deficit by $338 billion over 10 years, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

That’s $338 billion the GOP could upstream to wealthy taxpayers in the form of a tax cut. But the costs and impact would fall squarely on the middle class. The repeal would drive as many as 13 million Americans out of the insurance market.

Nor is this the only assault on healthcare buried in the bill. There’s also the potential for an annual cut in Medicare of at least $25 billion, according to a separate CBO accounting.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The GOP tax plan also includes reducing the individual mandate penalty to $0, driving 13 million people immediately out of the healthcare market and skyrocketing prices for everyone who remains. The simple fact is that a market that only includes sick people cannot survive under the current structure. The only way they will be able to stabilize the insurance market after 13 million healthy people leave is by removing the restrictions on pre-existing conditions, which will drive additional millions (almost exclusively from poor and middle class) from the markets. In this GOP dystopia Congress is pushing, only the independently wealthy will have health insurance, only the rich will have access to education, and only billionaires and corporate donors will ever wield political power.

tl;dr The GOP plan is to remove health insurance access from the poor and middle class and redistribute that income to the 1%, effectively breaking the American health insurance industry in the process. Like I said before, the pattern of who the Republicans are continuously willing to screw over in order to help their wealthy donors and corporations couldn't be more clear.

well, to be honest, that seems like the goal.

but both sides, or something like that.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
The GOP tax plan also includes reducing the individual mandate penalty to $0, driving 13 million people immediately out of the healthcare market and skyrocketing prices for everyone who remains. The simple fact is that a market that only includes sick people cannot survive under the current structure.
I still feel like there is a better way to do this than the penalty. I've spoken about it before but the penalty helps prevent me from getting insurance, not encourage me to get it - at least in it's current form and where options aren't as robust.

Like I said before, the pattern of who the Republicans are continuously willing to screw over in order to help their wealthy donors and corporations couldn't be more clear.
Um, you seem to be forgetting about her emails.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

If I'm reading the Kaiser stats correctly, we're talking about roughly 7% of the population. The vast majority are covered by employer-sponsored plans and other public insurance schemes.

And regarding education, feel free to contribute your thoughts to the worker training thread. I linked an article therein that discusses the culture of education over technical training.

Last edited:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
If I'm reading the Kaiser stats correctly, we're talking about roughly 7% of the population. The vast majority are covered by employer-sponsored plans and other public insurance schemes.
So it makes you feel better saying 7% instead of 13 million?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

And regarding education, feel free to contribute your thoughts to the worker training thread. I linked an article therein that discusses the culture of education over technical training.
I did comment and approved the article's remarks. At the same time, I don't think making graduate education financially impossible is really good long-term policy...

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I need some clarification here. Do companies who get to keep more of their money use it for acquisitions ....

You know what my company does with extra money? Uses it for acquisitions. You know what happens during acquisitions? Streamlining operations a.k.a. layoffs. So when CEO's say they are going to look for acquisitions, this is going to have a negative impact on jobs.
.... or do they pay it out to shareholders?

The only thing companies will do is return any extra profit to shareholders.
There are many more choices than that. I listed earlier other things that can be done with this retained wealth, all of it good. Your disdain for acquisitions would perhaps make sense if economics were a zero-sum gain, but it is not. Companies acquire, divest, invest, hire, lay off, etc. all the time. They attempt to make the best decision considering the market forces and governmental rules at hand. When they don't they get punished by their competition, sometime severely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.