Republican Tax Philosophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Pfft...child's play for someone so adept at speed reading and comprehending the nearly 2,000 pages of the ACA.
I've dealt with poorly drafted tax legislation for decades. Getting mistakes corrected is like changing a battleship's course. This is on track to be the most poorly drafted in history...

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I've dealt with poorly drafted tax legislation for decades. Getting mistakes corrected is like changing a battleship's course. This is on track to be the most poorly drafted in history...
Maybe. Probably would've helped if the Dems had been engaged from the beginning. They might be more familiar with the details as a result. Nevertheless, less than 500 pages is much more manageable.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Maybe. Probably would've helped if the Dems had been engaged from the beginning. They might be more familiar with the details as a result. Nevertheless, less than 500 pages is much more manageable.
Even the Republicans say they haven't seen it. There's no way to see the downstream consequences of a 500 page tax bill. We'll be sorting it out for years. but what do I know. I've only been doing this 53 years, so I'm hardly an expert...

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Even the Republicans say they haven't seen it. There's no way to see the downstream consequences of a 500 page tax bill. We'll be sorting it out for years. but what do I know. I've only been doing this 53 years, so I'm hardly an expert...
My comments are not intended to question your qualifications to render an opinion.

It's interesting that Dems didn't bemoan the 2000-page ACA (gotta pass it to see what's in it), but now a tax bill that is no more than a quarter of the ACA's length is now something to have a hissy fit about.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
You mean the bill that underwent a bipartisan drafting process, was debated for a year, and ultimately included 188 amendments, most of which come from GOP representatives? Compared to this abomination that's being so irresponsibly rushed through under the distraction of Flynn that the circulating bill is covered in illegible handwritten notes that couldn't even wait to be properly types into the text of the bill?

A poorer attempt at whataboutism/trolling than your usual fare.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
You mean the bill that underwent a bipartisan drafting process, was debated for a year, and ultimately included 188 amendments, most of which come from GOP representatives? Compared to this abomination that's being so irresponsibly rushed through under the distraction of Flynn that the circulating bill is covered in illegible handwritten notes that couldn't even wait to be properly types into the text of the bill?

As I said, the Dems should have participated.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
My comments are not intended to question your qualifications to render an opinion.

It's interesting that Dems didn't bemoan the 2000-page ACA (gotta pass it to see what's in it), but now a tax bill that is no more than a quarter of the ACA's length is now something to have a hissy fit about.
The ACA was drafted over the course of six months, with input from both parties, and included hundreds of amendments proposed by Republicans. The tax bill was hammered out in secret in a matter of weeks.

Sorry to interrupt your ongoing amusement with details.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Here's a Politifact assessment of the bipartisan nature of the ACA:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...tierrez-says-hundreds-republican-amendments-/

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
The ACA was drafted over the course of six months, with input from both parties, and included hundreds of amendments proposed by Republicans. The tax bill was hammered out in secret in a matter of weeks.

Sorry to interrupt your ongoing amusement with details.
Oh, I forgot. There have been no discussions of tax reform and reform ideas until the last few weeks. :rolleye2:

Nevertheless, let's assume tax reform ideas have only been fleshed out from September 2017 to now. Hmmm...that's roughly 3 months. The tax reform bill is roughly a quarter the size of the ACA. Hmmm...looks like the tax reform bill could end up having more development days per page than the ACA. Interesting.

Last edited:

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014
Final vote in the Senate tax reform bill passes 51-49.

Get ready for annual American GDP growth of over 3% if the House and Senate can come to terms!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Oh, and the "scribbles" were snuck into the bill so well that no one noticed them. :rolleye2:

Anyway, I'm willing to pitch in if y'all are having trouble paying for your mood stabilizers.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
So the bill is also an abortion law reclassifying life at conception and has a clause to drill oil in Alaska’s arctic wildlife preserve. I'm glad they got those "tax" related things in the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.