The US flooded one of Houston's richest neighborhoods to save everyone else

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Sounds like the utilitarian thing to do. Sucks that it caused suffering to those who can lawyer up over it.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Sucks that it caused suffering to those who can lawyer up
Anyone can "lawyer up", if they are alive to do so.

Sounds like the correct decision was made. I would even go with a no litigation order for home owners against the core of engineers. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Even if those few are the rich and powerful.

How would it be portrayed if thousands of bodies were floating around when the question was asked, could we have done anything to save the lives of the poor souls, or was there no way to prevent this tragic loss of life?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The concerning thing is that if this becomes a protracted and costly legal battle, it may cause disastrous decisions in the future. "better to wash away 10k poors than 1k riches because the media blowback is cheaper politically than the legal fees are financially"

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Anyone can "lawyer up", if they are alive to do so.

Sounds like the correct decision was made. I would even go with a no litigation order for home owners against the core of engineers. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Even if those few are the rich and powerful.

How would it be portrayed if thousands of bodies were floating around when the question was asked, could we have done anything to save the lives of the poor souls, or was there no way to prevent this tragic loss of life?
For some reason this makes me think of the Keystone pipeline thread.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I can't open the article but I think I get the gist of it. It is a no-win situation. If this was done to a poor neighborhood there would be plenty of lawyers willing to start something. If done to a minority neighborhood, there would be cries of racism.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Sounds like the utilitarian thing to do. Sucks that it caused suffering to those who can lawyer up over it.
And sue the federal government? LOL! Good luck. I'm sure they already planned on paying out, but doubtful they'll get anything other property damaged/cost to rebuild or relo benes and hotel costs.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I mean, as long as the gov pays for damages, can't say I have a problem with it. If they deliberately flooded your house and then said, "oh, you don't have flood insurance, sucks to suck!" That would be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.