Does Mercer Offer a Look at the Barn ?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
If this was addressed elsewhere, I apologize in advance. Schematically on O ( certainly not quality of athletes, mind ), does Mercer run anything similar to the barn? I hope so because it might give us a look.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
They don’t have anywhere near the talent that the barn has, but like I said the game does provide other benefits for the team and staff.
They don't really have to have equal talent to provide reps for recognizing formations, motions and the like. In fact, I'd be willing to be that's the main reason we're playing them tomorrow...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
They don't really have to have equal talent to provide reps for recognizing formations, motions and the like. In fact, I'd be willing to be that's the main reason we're playing them tomorrow...
Exactly - the scout team rarely has the talent / skill level of Bam's next opponent, but seeing the types of plays in real time are helpful.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So watching the Alabama game today, Mercer's offense run today is not the same as the offense that you will see next week. You repped for a game that was not played.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Gonna have to say that again with a little more clarity.
Auburn's base offense has 2 RBs and 3 receivers. Mercer generally does the same thing, but today they did not. They added a TE for help in blocking and only had 1 RB on the field. The RB was lined up like Auburn, one step behind the QB and one step to the left or right, but the second RB wasn't there. This totally changed the motions and play choices.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Auburn's base offense has 2 RBs and 3 receivers. Mercer generally does the same thing, but today they did not. They added a TE for help in blocking and only had 1 RB on the field. The RB was lined up like Auburn, one step behind the QB and one step to the left or right, but the second RB wasn't there. This totally changed the motions and play choices.
It seems to me that all of Gus's eye candy doesn't seem to pull people out of position as it did when he was new. Even with a huge talent advantage on ULAM, they were in a dogfight for a good bit of the game, had to keep starters in. The closer eye on pop passes seems to have cramped him a bit also. I honestly think ULAM might have beaten UGA...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
When you say 2 RBs don’t you really mean 1 RB and 1 FB? That’s not the same as 2 RBs because the fullback is in there primarily as a blocker and not a runner/receiver..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
When you say 2 RBs don’t you really mean 1 RB and 1 FB? That’s not the same as 2 RBs because the fullback is in there primarily as a blocker and not a runner/receiver..
I was using RB as a generic term. But either way, Mercer only had one of those players on the field at a time for most of their plays while Auburn has 2 in the backfield for almost all of their plays.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I think the best thing we got from Mercer was a game to allow new replacement players to gel as a team. This was a good game to get new guys comfortable as a team. A big score also helped get more backups game time. I think the IB will go a lot like LSU, or at least I hope it does. We get up and control the flow of the game. Will be played a lot different but as far as flow and control I am hoping it goes like LSU game did. get a decent lead control the flow and never really let them feel they are in it late. MY wish is we come out fast jump up and shut out their crowd. Would love a good ole beat down, but doubt it happens,, but you never know.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.