November 18, 2011: The Day The BCS Died (Iowa St Knocks Off Okie St)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I worked that afternoon and into the early evening. The big story that morning on TV was the death of two Okie St basketball coaches in a plane crash. That was back in my Fat Guy days. I worked until a bit after seven and then went to "On the Border" a few miles from where I live now. Had an order of nachos with cueso and the large quesdilla. I was following the game on TideFans.

It was 24-7 as I headed home to chill a bit. By the time I got the short drive home - made longer due to it being a Friday night and folks out already doing Christmas shopping - the game was sort of interesting. I was daring to hope. One of my best friends is an ISU alum and she'll tell you - "We're TERRIBLE!"

As it unfolded here......oh my goodness.......what a great night that was. And, of course, I had to work a 13-hour shift the next day.

Do you really think I could sleep after Okie State went down? Wow.

And of course the game destroyed the BCS, too.

ETA: Typo, It's 2011 if the mods want to please CHANGE it.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Re: November 18, 2001: The Day The BCS Died (Iowa St Knocks Off Okie St)

It’s a shame because 2011 is the perfect example of how the BCS actually worked. The 2 best teams went to the title game, the best team won, and that’s all that matters.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia

I was at Beef O'Brady's in Dothan. Bama may have playing basketball that night. I wouldn't watch the football game because I thought OSU would pull it out in the end and did want to get my hopes up. My friend called me when I was driving home with the result. Couldn't believe it.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

It’s a shame because 2011 is the perfect example of how the BCS actually worked. The 2 best teams went to the title game, the best team won, and that’s all that matters.
Completely agreed. With the BCS it was the *best* chance to have #1 vs #2. To be honest though, so far, I can't say the 4 team playoff has disappointed. But, with the 4 team playoff I can't help but feel like 6-team and then 8-team playoff will be here eventually. Then, it will become unwatchable.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

It was a great day in Alabama history, but the BCS was doomed long before then. Once the government started looking into the BCS the writing was on the wall. The government wanted a playoff, and they were starting to get the IRS involved to make it happen.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

It was a great day in Alabama history, but the BCS was doomed long before then. Once the government started looking into the BCS the writing was on the wall. The government wanted a playoff, and they were starting to get the IRS involved to make it happen.
Wanna know the REALLY pathetic part of that?

It was started by a Texas Rep named Joe Barton, who was high school classmates with the guy who back then was the assistant lab director at my workplace.

He started the clanging out of anger over his thoughts that Texas got passed over in 2008. He escalated over the idea that TCU was snubbed in 2010.

I asked the guy I worked with about Barton, and he literally had zero regard for him at all. Said he was just as much a self-serving schmuck in high school as he was now that he had power.

He also pointed out the irony of Barton being a rather radical free market capitalist but now getting all hot and bothered to get the government involved.

But yeah, you're right. I think at best this case just made the schools themselves realize the need to expedite it.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

As it stands today, with the "Committee" system, Ohio State, who has lost 31-7 and 55-24 has a chance to be declared "The BEST TEAM in college football. Think about that.
Can't remember who said it but someone once said, "If you want to screw something completely up give it to a committee".
I'll take the BCS any day of the week...IT worked

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

As it stands today, with the "Committee" system, Ohio State, who has lost 31-7 and 55-24 has a chance to be declared "The BEST TEAM in college football. Think about that.
Can't remember who said it but someone once said, "If you want to screw something completely up give it to a committee".
You need to take a deep breath. OSU is not getting into the playoff this year.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

OSU is not in serious contention to make the playoffs. Not sure why you are freaking out so much.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

I don't need to take a deep breath because I'm not upset at all. I honestly preferred the BCS. I thought the BCS worked.
Definitely agree there. All the playoffs have done is add lackluster semifinal games. The BCS got it right most of the time, especially once the formula was tweaked. Most of the controversies were in the early years.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

OSU is not in serious contention to make the playoffs. Not sure why you are freaking out so much.
If Ohio State wins the Big Ten they'll make the playoff. Count on it. Television needs them to make the playoff.
I'm not "Freaking out". I'm stating facts. Watch and see.
I don't think they'll beat Wisconsin, but if they do beat Michigan and Wisconsin, they're in.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

If Ohio State wins the Big Ten they'll make the playoff. Count on it. Television needs them to make the playoff.
I'm not "Freaking out". I'm stating facts. Watch and see.
I don't think they'll beat Wisconsin, but if they beat Michigan and Wisconsin, they're in.
It is possible, but unlikely.
It would require that Alabama beat Auburn and Georgia to eliminate them both.
It would require that Miami beat Clemson. If Miami loses that game they would both be 12-1 and go ahead of OSU.
It would require Oklahoma to lose a game.

If all of those things happen, we sneak in:

1 - Alabama
2 - Miami
3 - Notre Dame
4 - Ohio State

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Man, that was a best to re-read, thank you!
Yeah, I got a thrill from it myself.

Like I told you months ago, I'll cluster the previous threads in ONE thread so we don't get board clutter at the top.

Go look at the 2007 ULM thread for, well, some hilarity and depression all at once.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
The committee isn’t going to overlook 2 losses unless some serious shenanigans occur, especially the way OSU got blasted by Iowa. They can’t just put them in the playoff on name recognition only and ignore a blowout loss like that.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

It would require that Miami beat Clemson. If Miami loses that game they would both be 12-1 and go ahead of OSU.

1 - Alabama
2 - Miami
3 - Notre Dame
4 - Ohio State
ND is definitely out already.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

1 - Alabama
2 - Miami
3 - Notre Dame
4 - Ohio State
On Game Day this morning (or Sports Center before that) it was reported that if tOSU wins out they have a 65% chance of making the playoff.

I have no idea how they reached this figure.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.