Tesla Roadster 2.0

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Hahaha, two companies legendarily awful wrt electrical systems in their autos (Jaguar and LR) building an all-electric auto...
That car should be required to carry a can of gasoline in the boot to ensure that the inevitable fire from the electrical system will completely destroy the car.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I believe Musk is on record hoping for precisely this - now that Tesla has set the standard the established manufacturers are willing to sink real money into the development of these new cars. I love my petrol motors, but I suspect that within the next decade or two they will no longer manufactured.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Porsche getting in on the EV fun with their own Model X competitor.

Porsche Mission E Cross Turismo

0-62 in 3.5 seconds
Range of ~250 miles
All comes full circle, Porsche's first car was electric.

After only a few years at Bella Egger & Co., Porsche—whose supervisors were thoroughly impressed by his technological skills—was promoted from an employee to a management position.

The year 1897 was full of milestones for Porsche. That year, he built an electric wheel-hub motor, the concept for which had been developed by American inventor Wellington Adams more than a decade earlier; raced his wheel-hub motor in Vienna; and began working in the newly created Electric Car Department at Hofwagenfabrik Jacob Lohner & Co., a Vienna-based company belonging to the Austro-Hungarian Army's joint Imperial and Royal Army, or k.u.k. in 1898, Porsche developed the Egger-Lohner electric vehicle C.2 Phaeton (also known as the P1), was the first electric car.
LINK

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I believe Musk is on record hoping for precisely this - now that Tesla has set the standard the established manufacturers are willing to sink real money into the development of these new cars. I love my petrol motors, but I suspect that within the next decade or two they will no longer manufactured.
Get your 808hp Dodge Challenger SRT Demon now. They won't be making it next year.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Production problems appear to be plaguing the model 3 Tesla casting the future of the company in doubt. Musk may regret shooting that roadster out in space. That car would be highly collectable if no more are produced.

Tesla stock plunged 23% from March 12 through March 29, the last day of active trading. At $266.13, shares are 32% below their all-time high of $389.61.Last week, Moody's downgraded Tesla's bond rating and lowered its outlook from stable to negative."Tesla's ratings reflect the significant shortfall in the production rate of the company's Model 3 electric vehicle," Moody's said.Musk has acknowledged navigating "production hell" with the Model 3, which has been plagued by delays as he tries to adopt advanced factory automation. But Musk remains confident he can revolutionize vehicle making.
LINK

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Tesla Model Y SUV will be unveiled March 14th

The Model Y will share about 75 percent of its parts with the Model 3, which is currently Tesla’s most affordable car. Musk said the Model Y will be about 10 percent bigger, cost about 10 percent more, and will have slightly less range than the Model 3. The Model Y won’t have the “Falcon Wing” doors that are found on Tesla’s bigger SUV, the Model X.
We'll see if closing down their dealerships ends up being a good call, but it was well-timed with the announcement of the "affordable" Tesla compact SUV.

rjtide

1st Team
Dec 15, 1999
AL
Tesla Model Y SUV will be unveiled March 14th

We'll see if closing down their dealerships ends up being a good call, but it was well-timed with the announcement of the "affordable" Tesla compact SUV.
i wonder if tesla is following the apple model of product roll out....tweak products here and there, change up the size a bit, and market it. though to me it does make sense for them to close down their car dealerships and move their entire sales process to an online platform. and for God's sake improve their mobile service process.

rjtide

1st Team
Dec 15, 1999
AL
If you are thinking about buying a model 3, you may want to watch this first.

i've had absolutely ZERO issues with my model x. once the business lease is up i'll most likely get another one or a model s.....my business partner is on his 2nd model s and has had no probs with it either.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I got through about five minutes of the video and all he had said was that there were some scratches. He needs to shut up and just say what’s wrong with the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
i've had absolutely ZERO issues with my model x. once the business lease is up i'll most likely get another one or a model s.....my business partner is on his 2nd model s and has had no probs with it either.
The model 3 is the first "mass" production from Tesla and the quality control is sorely lacking. Hopefully it will improve but a car with dirt in the paint and orange peel finish, body panels that don't line up leaving large gaps between them are not what you would expect from a $50K car. Makes you wonder what other short cuts were taken.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The model 3 is the first "mass" production from Tesla and the quality control is sorely lacking. Hopefully it will improve but a car with dirt in the paint and orange peel finish, body panels that don't line up leaving large gaps between them are not what you would expect from a $50K car. Makes you wonder what other short cuts were taken.
One of the problems with mass produced/"assembly line" vehicles is the quality drop off from the differing work shifts. My dad retired from GM and over the course of his time there worked on all the shifts. He always has said "You don't want to buy a vehicle that was made on any shift but the day shift". These car manufacturers have systems in place to be able to tell them when vehicles were made all the way down to the day and shift they were assembled. My dad said most of the screw ups on vehicles were from vehicles on the assembly line during the night shifts. There is a less presence of management during these shifts and a lot of mistakes.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
One of the problems with mass produced/"assembly line" vehicles is the quality drop off from the differing work shifts. My dad retired from GM and over the course of his time there worked on all the shifts. He always has said "You don't want to buy a vehicle that was made on any shift but the day shift". These car manufacturers have systems in place to be able to tell them when vehicles were made all the way down to the day and shift they were assembled. My dad said most of the screw ups on vehicles were from vehicles on the assembly line during the night shifts. There is a less presence of management during these shifts and a lot of mistakes.
I imagine the better and more experienced people get the day shifts as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Yes lack of process control and all of the other reasons why the US automotive industry lost business to the Japanese auto industry. Reading The Machine That Changed the World many years ago I am always reminded of the fact that even Mercedes had magnitudes greater (9 to 1) of end of the line defects and repairs than did a Lexus assembly line. The Japanese attacked process control of every tiny component that went into an assembly at the source and incessantly trained every assembly worker included detailed instructions at each station. It still works today and GM still struggles.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yes lack of process control and all of the other reasons why the US automotive industry lost business to the Japanese auto industry. Reading The Machine That Changed the World many years ago I am always reminded of the fact that even Mercedes had magnitudes greater (9 to 1) of end of the line defects and repairs than did a Lexus assembly line. The Japanese attacked process control of every tiny component that went into an assembly at the source and incessantly trained every assembly worker included detailed instructions at each station. It still works today and GM still struggles.
Dr. Edwards Deming...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.