Tesla Roadster 2.0

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Dr. Edwards Deming...
In an earlier life I studied Japanese manufacturing methods and the statistical process control methodology pioneered by Dr. Deming. Shigeo Shingo who developed the Toyota production system had an incredible impact on manufacturing world wide. We did a lot of work redesigning our work systems and involving employees much more actively in the quality/productivity process. In one large location we applied many of the scheduling and quality practices developed in Japan and it had a profound impact on the performance of the operation. That was 20 and 25 years ago and I still see industrial organizations who do not get it today.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
In an earlier life I studied Japanese manufacturing methods and the statistical process control methodology pioneered by Dr. Deming. Shigeo Shingo who developed the Toyota production system had an incredible impact on manufacturing world wide. We did a lot of work redesigning our work systems and involving employees much more actively in the quality/productivity process. In one large location we applied many of the scheduling and quality practices developed in Japan and it had a profound impact on the performance of the operation. That was 20 and 25 years ago and I still see industrial organizations who do not get it today.
Even today the most sought-after Toyotas (by aficionados) are those which were assembled in Japan.

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
Even today the most sought-after Toyotas (by aficionados) are those which were assembled in Japan.
Quality control was much better in the Japanese Toyotas. FYI.. Country of origin is designated by the first numeral/letter of the serial number. J for Japan, 2 is Canada, 3 Mexico, 4 and 5 is the USA. Most all of Toyota's production is from North America now. I had customers that would tell me when the next J built Camry or model X comes in to call them. They would take nothing else, even if the color/equipment did not fit their wants. It paid off for them in the long run.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Back in the 80's my next door neighbor owned a BMW dealership. He drove a Honda, said it was better than anything he sold.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Quality control was much better in the Japanese Toyotas. FYI.. Country of origin is designated by the first numeral/letter of the serial number. J for Japan, 2 is Canada, 3 Mexico, 4 and 5 is the USA. Most all of Toyota's production is from North America now. I had customers that would tell me when the next J built Camry or model X comes in to call them. They would take nothing else, even if the color/equipment did not fit their wants. It paid off for them in the long run.
Aye, all I own are Toyota vehicles built in Japan - two Land Cruisers, a 4Runner, and a Lexus GX. The build quality is unmatched, ime.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Had to chuckle. My law partner bought a Jag XKE back in the mid-70s. Big mistake. That car had electrical problems which hadn't even been invented yet. It was sort of a shame. After WWII, Britain came out with some neat cars - Austin-Healeys, Morgans, etc. I had a kid crush on MG TDs and TFs. Then, it all just seemed to collapse. The Japanese came in selling reliability and the Germans prestige and engineering. The British seemed to sink and the American car companies weren't far behind...
I had a 62 MGA 1600 Mk II. They went downhill when they sold out to British Leyland.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I believe Musk is on record hoping for precisely this - now that Tesla has set the standard the established manufacturers are willing to sink real money into the development of these new cars. I love my petrol motors, but I suspect that within the next decade or two they will no longer manufactured.
GM has already announced...its coming.

https://www.autonews.com/article/20180731/OEM/180739906/gm-stands-by-combustion-engines-for-now

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Same for me about 35 years ago. We brought in suppliers and taught classes in statistical quality control to them as well.

Funny side story, our VP fought the Japanese in World War II and would not approve the purchase of Japanese built machine tools even though it was far superior to the machines built in the US at the time.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Could you share a couple?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had an acquaintance who had worked night shift in an assembly plant in his younger days. His stories were pretty much what you would expect from a predominantly younger group, left either wholly unsupervised, or nominally supervised by folks who were literally or figuratively asleep on the job -- mostly sex, drugs and rock'n'roll. Workers turning tricks in the bathrooms, or even just semi-private areas of the plant. Being on the line drunk, stoned, or both. Openly imbibing, toking, and/or snorting while on the line. Sex acts by / on workers at their stations. Intentionally doing their jobs wrong. Various permutations of all of that.

Last edited:

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I'm rooting for Tesla. Elon Musk has revolutionized thinking regarding electric cars. His success should be good for all of us, eventually, whether or not any of us ever purchase an electric car. Innovations in battery technology, alone, are worth whatever those with lots of pocket cash want to pay for these cars :)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Could you share a couple?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
*Workers on the assembly line literally falling asleep while the vehicle passed them by and whatever part they were responsible for putting on didn't make it.

*Sex, LOTS of sex.

*Drugs

Specifically, the craziest thing he ever saw on the night shift was a fight between two workers because one of them was having sex with the other one's wife (in the plant). Razor blades came out and a lot of stitches had to be used.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Two things...
First, coworkers son has a Tesla (2017 so I’m guessing an X?) and he loves it. He lives in Memphis, and my coworker has offered to arrange a ride the next time he comes down here. I’m looking forward to it - my coworker is impressed, and he’s a car guy (former Vette owner and club member).
On the issue of auto workers and their shift “shortcomings”, go back to 1979. I was in New Orleans with best friend and we met some “ladies” from Ohio who worked for GM - their job was putting on the lug nuts and that’s all they did. They also said (and I had no way to prove or disprove) that they made $20/hr. In 1979.
It’s no coincidence that Toyota now dominates NASCAR.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Two things...
First, coworkers son has a Tesla (2017 so I’m guessing an X?) and he loves it. He lives in Memphis, and my coworker has offered to arrange a ride the next time he comes down here. I’m looking forward to it - my coworker is impressed, and he’s a car guy (former Vette owner and club member).
On the issue of auto workers and their shift “shortcomings”, go back to 1979. I was in New Orleans with best friend and we met some “ladies” from Ohio who worked for GM - their job was putting on the lug nuts and that’s all they did. They also said (and I had no way to prove or disprove) that they made $20/hr. In 1979.
It’s no coincidence that Toyota now dominates NASCAR.

These things are probably true. But let me put "that's all they did" into context. "All my dad did" was shoot rivets into some part of the vehicle ( I have no idea which part) as it came down the assembly line. But, as fast as the vehicle travels down the line, that's all anyone has time to do, is one thing. Anyone who actually worked on the assembly line many times ended up with permanent nerve damage in their arms and many times lost feeling in parts of their hands, fingers and other parts of their arms. Back, shoulder and neck problems were also very common for those who worked on the line. Granted, I know there are stories of people with easy cheesy jobs at GM plants. Which are true. But not every job in the plant was like that. There were a lot of jobs that were not only physically demanding, but very dangerous.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
These things are probably true. But let me put "that's all they did" into context. "All my dad did" was shoot rivets into some part of the vehicle ( I have no idea which part) as it came down the assembly line. But, as fast as the vehicle travels down the line, that's all anyone has time to do, is one thing. Anyone who actually worked on the assembly line many times ended up with permanent nerve damage in their arms and many times lost feeling in parts of their hands, fingers and other parts of their arms. Back, shoulder and neck problems were also very common for those who worked on the line. Granted, I know there are stories of people with easy cheesy jobs at GM plants. Which are true. But not every job in the plant was like that. There were a lot of jobs that were not only physically demanding, but very dangerous.
Long post accidentally deleted.
$20/hour was still a LOT of money back then. Comments on the unions not allowing workers to perform multiple jobs was part of the long post.
I don’t disagree - doing the same thing using same body parts over and over and over all day every day is eventually going to cause problems, if you do it long enough. But that’s not my point; my point was being paid that kind of money for a low skilled job is why Toyota is now number one. And if unions had required cross training, a lot of ailments might have been prevented.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.