USC Trick Punt Play for TD

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Is Kirk right in that the punt was essentially shanked from what the UCLA players were thinking or did they just follow the USC players flowing to the other sideline? Because the UCLA players seemed to immediately head to the left sideline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Oregon used to do this play a lot when Chip Kelly was there. It’s not really new but it’s pretty hard to pull off. USC executed it perfectly considering the punt gave them the opportunity to do so..

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I wish I had a better angle. I'd like to see how close he was to stepping out of bounds when he caught it.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I wish I had a better angle. I'd like to see how close he was to stepping out of bounds when he caught it.
Found one. He was about one foot away from the sideline when he made the catch. I thought he was closer than that.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
How was that a trick play? No way they could know what side punt was going to. Looks to me UCLA screwed the pooch, expected it to go left and it went right, as all of UCLA was headed left, that is just bad play by UCLA, USC got lucky. Appears UCLA wanted returner on left to get it and punter shanked it right. How is that some mystical USC play? UCLA messed up or so it appears to me. They all went left thinking punt was going that way, punter shanked it or they were all backwards on what side to defend. Not sure why USC gets credit for anything but a lucky break bahahahahahaha OH I know it is USC so it must have been a master play call.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
How was that a trick play? No way they could know what side punt was going to. Looks to me UCLA screwed the pooch, expected it to go left and it went right, as all of UCLA was headed left, that is just bad play by UCLA, USC got lucky. Appears UCLA wanted returner on left to get it and punter shanked it right. How is that some mystical USC play? UCLA messed up or so it appears to me. They all went left thinking punt was going that way, punter shanked it or they were all backwards on what side to defend. Not sure why USC gets credit for anything but a lucky break bahahahahahaha OH I know it is USC so it must have been a master play call.
It was a bad punt. But USC was smart enough to have a play available for something like that, and players with the intelligence to pull it off.

I suspect that they noticed a tendency by this punter to sometimes miss punts to his right and had this in their pocket for the game in case it happened. So, it was clearly something that was practiced, so it qualifies as a trick play not just a fluke return.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
It was a bad punt. But USC was smart enough to have a play available for something like that, and players with the intelligence to pull it off.

I suspect that they noticed a tendency by this punter to sometimes miss punts to his right and had this in their pocket for the game in case it happened. So, it was clearly something that was practiced, so it qualifies as a trick play not just a fluke return.
I cannot remember the team but a few years back one team had a great return guy and punters kicked off to the side to limit his return area. They countered it by lining up 2 returners right next to each other and as ball was hiked they split off to each side. Even when their best guy did not get the right side they had a guy to cover it a little better. Seems to me 2 return guys one on one side one on the other makes for better chance of getting a shank or a directed punt covered faster, less running to the ball. Now they seem to love the rugby low kick to negate great run back returners. I like our style HIGH and LONG, kills return chances. BUT you have to have a great punter like we have. If we punt I want to be at mid field or further back so JK can BOOT it. When across the 50 he has to pull back some and that is hard to do.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

Yep, after watching it the other day it could have only been because of good film study.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.