The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly- Mercer Style...

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
I don't even know what Mercer's mascot is, nor will I take the time to look it up:biggrin2: I'm doing this for traditions sake:cool:

The Good- a lot of guys got needed reps. Dylan Moses got a much needed glorified practice for extra reps as did Keith Holcombe.

The Bad- Still saw some over play on hole responsibilities from both Evans and Moses.

The Ugly- not sure scheduling a team like Mercer helps anything.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
It helps when you have as many injuries as we do and people need to rest and heal up before the Iron Bowl! RTR
I don't even know what Mercer's mascot is, nor will I take the time to look it up:biggrin2: I'm doing this for traditions sake:cool:

The Good- a lot of guys got needed reps. Dylan Moses got a much needed glorified practice for extra reps as did Keith Holcombe.

The Bad- Still saw some over play on hole responsibilities from both Evans and Moses.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
Senior day. Most of the walk ons will ll never get to suit up and play again. If we played a tight game or against a high level contender, some of those guys might not get to take the field at all. If scheduling a Mercer lets them get out there, I’m good with it.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Good- We did exactly what we needed to do, namely, dominate a less talented opponent. Younger guys got reps and several seniors got a lot of playing time and a few TDs. Guys who are nicked up at this point in the season were able to rest and cheer for their teammates. I like having two or three of these types of games each year just for all of these reasons, not to mention it helps fund some of these programs and gives other student-athletes an opportunity for an education. It was a beautiful fall Saturday in the South.

Bad- I didn't get a nap in after the game. I think Bret (Hey, Kool-aid) Bielema will join the crowd of coaches looking for a job so we can't yell Hey, Kool-aid, any more.

Ugly- UT, Vandy- What would these two teams rank just in the state of Tennessee?

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Good: No major injuries, quick start to game, the score

Bad: turnovers we had hurt our stats nationally

Ugly: nothing for our game but other games: Baker Mayfield's character, the weather at the TN game

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

If it didn't help, you wouldn't have anything in the Good category... ;)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The Good - Everything
The Bad - Nothing - Alabama looked awesome!
The Ugly - Michigan

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Good: a win plenty of guys got play and mercer made a cool 600k
Bad: water boys still a little slow, need to work on that
UGLY: Nothing, watched the replay saw a lot of little kids in the stands, Bama's future players and fans, it was beautiful.

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN
Good- We did exactly what we needed to do, namely, dominate a less talented opponent. Younger guys got reps and several seniors got a lot of playing time and a few TDs. Guys who are nicked up at this point in the season were able to rest and cheer for their teammates. I like having two or three of these types of games each year just for all of these reasons, not to mention it helps fund some of these programs and gives other student-athletes an opportunity for an education. It was a beautiful fall Saturday in the South.

Bad- I didn't get a nap in after the game. I think Bret (Hey, Kool-aid) Bielema will join the crowd of coaches looking for a job so we can't yell Hey, Kool-aid, any more.

Ugly- UT, Vandy- What would these two teams rank just in the state of Tennessee?
Definitely behind my Tigers :cool2:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
THE GOOD..... Jalen Hurts
THE BAD....... Too bad we have had so many injuries...
Ruggs fumble... Only real Offense blunder.
THE UGLY...... 'The Ugliest Village on the Plain'

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
The good: Jalen looked phenomenal
The bad: Still seemed like we gave up more in terms of yardage on defense than I would have expected, and we had a few plays where we seemed unable to bring their ballcarriers down. Nothing awful, but could have been better. Tua maybe didn't look quite as sharp as he has in previous games.
The Ugly - 56-0

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The good: Jalen looked phenomenal
The bad: Still seemed like we gave up more in terms of yardage on defense than I would have expected, and we had a few plays where we seemed unable to bring their ballcarriers down. Nothing awful, but could have been better. Tua maybe didn't look quite as sharp as he has in previous games.
The Ugly - 56-0
They averaged 2.5 yards per play against us. If that's bad, I would love to see what good is.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
The only ugly and bad that I noted is how fast football season has flown by this year. We are already at the last week of the regular season. It went by WAY too fast this year for me. The sad thing is many fans spent most of the season complaining about an 11+ win team.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
They averaged 2.5 yards per play against us. If that's bad, I would love to see what good is.
I honestly think there is something to these observations that others are having.

I hope that no one accuses me of being an eeyore because I think we played a great game. But I just went back and rewatched it and I noticed what some are talking about.

Yes, no doubt that end stat of 2.5 yards averaged per play is amazing. TBF a large reason for that is that the Mercer QB's were literally worse than many high-school QBs. I did also notice there were some runs that were still not fitted correctly or where the edge was set way too shallow or bad angles were taken by LB's coming in to meet runners in the gaps- things that we havent seen the past 2 years at Bama. The Mercer offense had a slew of negative plays that helped skew that stat but they also had some very nice gains on some very plain runs. People are seeing that and just choosing to say something.

Our MO has been to make teams 1 dimensional and then strangle them to death in the 2nd half. As we saw with Miss. State (and I DO think we are improved from that game and have a better shot at playing better both from a personnel POV and from an opponents game-plan POV) if we can't make teams 1 dimensional then the game can easily turn competitive. If we can fit our gaps and defend the perimeter with speed early and then build a bit of a lead and force Auburn to throw then I think the game will be over.

Now, to head off eeyore claims - upon my 2nd viewing I was even MORE impressed with Moses' play. That kid has BLINDING speed and closes at mach II on anything in front of or beside him. The calls seemed to be coming in cleanly by halfway through the 2nd quarter which is good because communication is half the battle. Deionte Thompson has incredible instincts coming forward to make a play on the ball. He was always in on or near the tackle when he was in the game. Rashaan Evans seemed to trust Moses the more they played together. I saw him overrun his coverage a few times early but later in the game he just nailed his side of the field down and the whole defense clicked better. I can't imagine the pressure Evans must feel to perform and hold this defense together. IF he feels like he can play his zone or gap and not fret about the other one we will be very competitive at those positions going forward.

I'm not going to get in to a stat war back and forth about our defenses performance because just by about every conceivable metric we pulverized Mercer. But by the eye test I saw where they had success where they shouldn't have and where others may still find it also. But I also saw our discipline solidify and our tackling form improve as the game went along.

Ideally what I'd like to see is our play defense mindset against LSU in 2015. The team was SICK AND TIRED of hearing about the great Leonard Fournette and played one of the most disciplined, angry, and ferocious games I've ever seen. They were gladiatorially violent (yah, I made that word up, it just felt right.) If we can bring that focus and that anger into this game against Auburn then we win.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.