Report: Arkansas to move on from Bret Bielema at end of season (Updated 11/24 6pm CT: Bielema has been fired)

WPS

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 14, 2015
Re: Report: Arkansas to move on from Bret Bielema at end of season

I know nothing, but I could see it playing out something like this.

First call: Malzahn

Backup: Norvell

After that: Leach, Kiffin

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL

Here’s a vote for leach to the hogs, I mean if doesn’t get the commodores gig which is my first vote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015

There's a part of me that would LOVE to see Kiffin back in the SEC. The storylines (and eventual crash and burn, even if he flew high initially) would be spectacular.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Time to pack up the Gus bus and move west.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

They've probably had this thing typed up for at least a year now.

Also of note: Since Jen Bielema tweeted #karma in September 2013 after Wisconsin’s controversial loss at Arizona State; Wisconsin is 50-12, Arkansas is 26-34

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Arkansas announced the firing of coach Bret Bielema immediately after the game. Bielema spoke to the media after he was fired. Here’s the rundown of what he had to say:

• Bielema opens by talking about the loss to Mizzou. He says Mizzou’s “long ball” was the “breaking point” that decided the game. “It just kind of summarizes our season.”
  • Bielema on his firing: “I’ve never been let go my entire life, so this is a first for me. You want to leave the place better than when you got here and I have no doubt I did that.”
  • Bielema says he tried to pitch that he should stay because “six of our top nine” players were injured at some point during the season. He also points out he had the toughest schedule in the SEC during his five seasons at Arkansas.
  • Bielema says he is as big of a fan of Arkansas now as he’s ever been. “I will do anything I can to help Arkansas. If they want my help, I’ll be here to help them.”
  • On if he expected to be fired leading up to this: “No, I really didn’t. They told me to keep grinding, keep recruiting and to keep working.”
  • Bielema says he has absolutely no regrets about coming to Arkansas. He points out his daughter was born in Fayetteville and he begins to choke up.
  • On why they weren’t able to turn this around this season: “Overwhelming, the injuries that we had.” He also points to players who left the school early for the NFL. “We just don’t have a lot of fourth- or fifth-year players. I wish I would’ve signed more O-linemen and D-linemen that are the caliber that you need in this league.”

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton

Arkansas announced the firing of coach Bret Bielema immediately after the game. Bielema spoke to the media after he was fired. Here’s the rundown of what he had to say:

• Bielema opens by talking about the loss to Mizzou. He says Mizzou’s “long ball” was the “breaking point” that decided the game. “It just kind of summarizes our season.”
  • Bielema on his firing: “I’ve never been let go my entire life, so this is a first for me. You want to leave the place better than when you got here and I have no doubt I did that.”
  • Bielema says he tried to pitch that he should stay because “six of our top nine” players were injured at some point during the season. He also points out he had the toughest schedule in the SEC during his five seasons at Arkansas.
  • Bielema says he is as big of a fan of Arkansas now as he’s ever been. “I will do anything I can to help Arkansas. If they want my help, I’ll be here to help them.”
  • On if he expected to be fired leading up to this: “No, I really didn’t. They told me to keep grinding, keep recruiting and to keep working.”
  • Bielema says he has absolutely no regrets about coming to Arkansas. He points out his daughter was born in Fayetteville and he begins to choke up.
  • On why they weren’t able to turn this around this season: “Overwhelming, the injuries that we had.” He also points to players who left the school early for the NFL. “We just don’t have a lot of fourth- or fifth-year players. I wish I would’ve signed more O-linemen and D-linemen that are the caliber that you need in this league.”
Yep, he did leave it better. They won 1 more game in his 5th year than they did in his 1st.

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017

All I can say, is the next Razorbacks Couch will have some heavy shoes to fill!!!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I get that Bert had to go, but there is no way that I would take that job after the AD fired him that way. Bert showed a lot more class during his stay there than the AD has.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

I get that Bert had to go, but there is no way that I would take that job after the AD fired him that way. Bert showed a lot more class during his stay there than the AD has.
I agree and in fact, they just discussed this on "SEC Now"...how classless it was to fire Coach Bert so quickly after the game ended. Very awkward for all involved....

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA

That’s the thing . . . they don’t have an AD. Firing him walking off the field was extremely classless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.