Question: How might the Gus to Arky affect Auburn’s performance?

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Could some of the CGM to the hogs stuff cause issues for the barn this week? The barn is fragile psychologically in my opinion. They seem to be up and down from week to week. Distractions like these rumors can’t hurt Bama’s cause.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Whether it's true or not the players will be up for the game. In fact, if they know he might leave I bet they will be even more pumped up to win the SEC and National Title for him. I am not sure how much they like or dislike Gus but they will still play their hearts out. I just hope they get heartbroken and that we can beat them.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
What ever they want for gus does not matter to me,or this team, I would bet. You know Nick is still preaching that clemson loss. Time for some retribution Bama style. One mud hole stomping coming up. To me this game is not about aubs or their mindset or wants, this is about unfinished business. 17 should have been ours last year, time to go take it this year. Aubs are just the next victim that we must dispose of to get what is ours.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Ya'll remember the UT rumors back in 2012 or 2013.. the year Mack Brown resigned? Did it affect the players for UT? Alabama?

All I can say is that We'll know more about the team this week and this weekend. I expect Auburn players to be focused, and if they're distracted... like Georgia was with all rat poison.. then we'll know.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Whether it's true or not...
I want it out there for the Auburn players to think about.

FWIW:
When I started to JR. High a guy in the 9th grade decided he wanted to beat my butt when school was over. He was much, much larger than I was. When school was over I went across the street where a large crowd had gathered.
I held up both hands telling him all the time that I didn't want to fight.
When I got close enough I broke his nose and blacked his eye.
THEN... Size took over and he beat my butt.
Yep... I lost that fight. I was 5'2" and 100 lbs. He was 6'7" and 250 lbs...
NO CONTEST.

However... Word spread quickly that I had faced him, and hurt him.
No One else wanted to fight me at that school.

I was expelled from that school a couple of days later... (Sore winner)

I WANT THE AUBURN PLAYERS THINKING ABOUT GUS LEAVING...

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Had a conversation with my Auburn son last night:

Me: “Gus heading to Arkansas?”
Son: “Dunno. Don’t know if they have enough cash to buy out Long, Bert, then hire Gus. We're probably going to give Gus another year here regardless what happens Saturday...
Me: “The Walton & Hunt families got enough cash. But look at the bright side: Gus beats Alabama and y’all got him for a minimum of three, maybe four more years....”
Son: “It ain’t happening. We are not beating Alabama...”

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Why in the world would ANYONE leave Auburn for ARKANSAS?????

I mean, that's one that boggles my mind right there......who would do this?

I can see Gus doing it IF maybe he's insecure in his job (which would be reasonable).

Otherwise? Nah.

Just a rumor at this point folks.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

FWIW:
When I started to JR. High a guy in the 9th grade decided he wanted to beat my butt when school was over. He was much, much larger than I was. When school was over I went across the street where a large crowd had gathered.
NO CONTEST.

I admire you...but where were your friends? No friend lets a guy that small take on a bully like that...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001

I can see Gus doing it IF maybe he's insecure in his job (which would be reasonable).

Otherwise? Nah.

Agreed...but don't use too much rationality or logic on this one. GM has never been known to use those skills a whole lot. I guess God is talking to him...sorry, I just couldn't resist, even as a pastor.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

FWIW:
NO CONTEST.

you must have had really long arms ;)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Agreed...but don't use too much rationality or logic on this one. GM has never been known to use those skills a whole lot. I guess God is talking to him...sorry, I just couldn't resist, even as a pastor.
Combine the irrationality of some of those with ties to the Auburn Athletic Department (to be fair, we've had our share of these idiots, too).........Jetgate, etc......

I mean, nothing would surprise me anymore but I just don't see it.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Otherwise? Nah.

Would tend to agree. However, Gus has “worn” on the fan base at Auburn. I’m surrounded by Aubies. There isn’t a groundswell of support for Gus among the fan base. Finebaum actually hit on that very thing this morning. Even the Georgia win was bittersweet for many; most felt if he lost to both Alabama and Georgia, he was done.

I’m thinking Gus isn’t so much thinking about leaving Auburn. I think it might be more about “escaping” from Auburn.

I think the fact that Jacobs and some others in power there haven’t been the most vocal in their support of Gus, especially the last two years plays into it as well.

In a normal situation, leaving Auburn for Fayetteville would be laughable. This may not be a “normal” situation.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Otherwise? Nah.

Money is the same, stress is lower. Why is Mullens still in Starkville? Because while better schools have offered, none have been exactly what he wants. From what I've heard, Gus hates the way the AD has been run there, hasn't had a relationship to speak of with Jacobs for months, and is fed up with the expectations there - they expect to compete with Bama year in and out. None of that would be an issue at Arky.

I'll PM you where my info initially came from if you wish - interesting that it's become a rumor all over since then.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Money is the same, stress is lower. Why is Mullens still in Starkville? Because while better schools have offered, none have been exactly what he wants. From what I've heard, Gus hates the way the AD has been run there, hasn't had a relationship to speak of with Jacobs for months, and is fed up with the expectations there - they expect to compete with Bama year in and out. None of that would be an issue at Arky.

I'll PM you where my info initially came from if you wish - interesting that it's become a rumor all over since then.
I like information like this. It doesn't get any better than this on Alabama vs. Auburn week.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001

Fayetteville is a beautiful place to live and U of Arkansas is the 800 lb gorilla in the state. He could recruit Texas and West Tennessee and N. Mississippi and do well. Seriously, he might do this...go home for 10-15 years and then retire. OTOH, "you can't go home again..." (Thomas Wolfe) is a well known admonition for a reason. We're never as good as our hype or as bad as our detractors...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.