New stuff for Auburn to prepare for

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
get g

Do you think this the year He'll let Daboll loose with playcalling since we have literally 6-8 playmakers? I think this is the first year he've had talented players at every positions on offense? Correct me if I'm wrong. I just have a strange feeling that He wants to put the game out of reach early on because of injuries we've had with our players. My gut feeling is that they will try and spy Hurts, and then put 7 or 8 in box to stop the run game. This bodes well for Jacob, Harris and others in passing game.
Every team we've played since Ole Miss in 2016 has spied Hurts all game.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I assume we can use that to our advantage.
We should. It'll be up to 2 to recognize what Steele is doing. He should expect the same things that have worked against him. LSU 2016 and FSU this year. It's really not as complicated as it seems. From a defensive coordinator's standpoint, if you have the personnel (and not many people that we play do, which is why I only listed those two games...they obviously did...and AU does too), Do what works until it doesn't.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Every team we've played since Ole Miss in 2016 has spied Hurts all game.
Took the words right out of my mouth. I expect 8 men in the box. I expect Ridley to be tightly covered too. We ought to have someone open. (Maybe a young guy wearing #8 ;))
Auburn likes to force people to go outside... They have the speed to stuff a lot of sweep type plays. I just hope our guys can make some good catches and not fumble. Much as it pains me to say it... Auburn has played themselves into being a good team...

BUT... S.N.A.S.S. I'll always believe that.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If our defense holds early, I expect Saban to place Daboll in a shell...
Yep. I’d almost rather be down 10-14 points early and start playing aggressive for a comeback win rather than be up 10-14 points early and hold on for dear life for the rest of the game..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Yep. I’d almost rather be down 10-14 points early and start playing aggressive for a comeback win rather than be up 10-14 points early and hold on for dear life for the rest of the game..
Who am I to question CNS's tendencies to go ultra conservative in big games, but it's this tendency that I think wins a lot of games, but they are "closer" than they have to be.

Since JH's has grown as a QB, I hope we'll be more aggressive.

Shoot, which is better? To play conservative and maybe score 7 points to their 3 (+4) OR open up the offense and score 14 and maybe give up a pic 6 because we are taking more risk (+7)???

I kinda feel like this IB will be to our advantage if it is a higher scoring game rather than a low scoring game. In other words, I think they'll get their points along the way (especially with Carlson's range) so we better be getting 7 everytime we can!

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Who am I to question CNS's tendencies to go ultra conservative in big games, but it's this tendency that I think wins a lot of games, but they are "closer" than they have to be.

Since JH's has grown as a QB, I hope we'll be more aggressive.

Shoot, which is better? To play conservative and maybe score 7 points to their 3 (+4) OR open up the offense and score 14 and maybe give up a pic 6 because we are taking more risk (+7)???

I kinda feel like this IB will be to our advantage if it is a higher scoring game rather than a low scoring game. In other words, I think they'll get their points along the way (especially with Carlson's range) so we better be getting 7 everytime we can!
I hope we play more aggressive also. The problem with playing conservative in a game like this is that our defense is to banged up to expect them to close out the game. If the defense was healthy I think our typical conservative approach would be fine but we can't expect the defense to force many 3 and outs due to all the injuries. The offense has got to come into the game with a mindset to put 30+ points on the board. Take some of the pressure off the defense and force the AU offense to be uncomfortable and play from behind..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He's a defensive coach. If he can win that way, he will. It will be LSU II...
You are probably right, but Saban has lost to every good Auburn team playing this way. I think that he tries to beat them 50-0.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
You are probably right, but Saban has lost to every good Auburn team playing this way. I think that he tries to beat them 50-0.
I hope you are correct. He has changed some this year in some ways. He actually lets the back ups "play" now. By play I mean letting Tua actually throw passes and running the offense to build experience. Maybe he trusts Coach Daboll enough to let him call a somewhat aggresive game.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I hope you're right. Given the state of the defense, I think this path is dictated. An AU fan commented on one of their boards yesterday that, if in the NC game last season, Hurts would have brought Bama back for a win, if he had a minute. I'm sure their coaching staff agrees...

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
there may be some offensive changes, which would be necessary to keep auburns excellent from seven at bay. I am really glad that we will have minkah, chris miller, and possibly reisnyder, lewis back as well as moses showing his worth moving to inside LB. hopefully, our defensive will force Johnson to run a lot more outside the tackles. wear him out the second half. put pressure on stidham and prevent his accurate pocket passing.

SkullDuckery

1st Team
Dec 28, 2015
LSU and Miss St did not have explosive offenses like Auburn does. I think Saban knew he could keep those game tight and win. This is why I think Saban opens up the offense and keeps it open all game, we can’t play around with them at their stadium.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I generally think in even matchups teams on offense should just try to score as many points as possible in the first half and then start paying attention to game situation after. I want us to be aggressive from the first snap until half time and evaluate where we are then. I don't want us to try to slow the game down if we get up 14-0 in the first quarter.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Ive been saying this the whole year. Daboll is an NFL coach. He hides his full hand until the end of the season or until forced. He isn’t a Lane Kiffin, Mac, Chip Kelly, or Steve Spurrier type guy who shows 95% of the offense right away and dare you to stop it. He comes from the Bill Belichick-Josh McDaniels- Tom Brady school of offensive strategy which dares you to stop their base offense before showing you the magic that the offense is truly capable of. Daboll is going to show Auburn a magic show that they never knew was coming.
This is Exactly what I was thinking when we threw the long bomb to Jacobs, and when we ran our first? Jet Sweep of the season. But was Daboll "showing his hand" with plays they've spent a week working on for aub?
OR were Daboll & Saban are playing a mind game with Gus and Steele?

Are we really going to run Jet Sweeps? Or did we just want aub to practice against Jet sweeps all week, so that we can "Show" Jet Sweep next weekend, and at least one boog defender will pause that split second necessary to open a lane up the middle, when Forster goes streaking across the formation before the snap?

Really, against Mercer we could have been running triple reverses out of a Wing-T formation all day, or lined up in a Wishbone and run dive plays, and we still would have won easily.

My guess was that the Jet Sweep was an much a red herring as anything. And the long passing simply a reminder to make them think twice before committing more than 8 in the box. Just to make sure Steele has it on his mind when he's considering all out blitzes, or stacking the middle of the field.

We made a lot of hay in the 4Th Qtr a week ago with sweeps to the right. Maybe we put that Jet Sweep out there so they'd out think themselves, and keep a men in the middle to cover the middle run, and leave the corner open? The options are endless. :)

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I don't think we see Dabolls offense in it's entirety this year, but I do believe we will see more and more as the weeks roll by. I hope they have a few nasty plays saved up for the Barn. Jalen may never be an NFL quarterback but he's definitely better now than he was in week one and last year I felt like he was going the wrong way.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I generally think in even matchups teams on offense should just try to score as many points as possible in the first half and then start paying attention to game situation after. I want us to be aggressive from the first snap until half time and evaluate where we are then. I don't want us to try to slow the game down if we get up 14-0 in the first quarter.
I agree with you but you are not describing the LSU game. I believe we could have dominated LSU with a different game plan...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.