New stuff for Auburn to prepare for

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I really hope the biggest thing Aubs must prepare for is a bowl game outside of the playoffs LOL

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
This is Exactly what I was thinking when we threw the long bomb to Jacobs, and when we ran our first? Jet Sweep of the season. But was Daboll "showing his hand" with plays they've spent a week working on for aub?
OR were Daboll & Saban are playing a mind game with Gus and Steele?

Are we really going to run Jet Sweeps? Or did we just want aub to practice against Jet sweeps all week, so that we can "Show" Jet Sweep next weekend, and at least one boog defender will pause that split second necessary to open a lane up the middle, when Forster goes streaking across the formation before the snap?

Really, against Mercer we could have been running triple reverses out of a Wing-T formation all day, or lined up in a Wishbone and run dive plays, and we still would have won easily.

My guess was that the Jet Sweep was an much a red herring as anything. And the long passing simply a reminder to make them think twice before committing more than 8 in the box. Just to make sure Steele has it on his mind when he's considering all out blitzes, or stacking the middle of the field.

We made a lot of hay in the 4Th Qtr a week ago with sweeps to the right. Maybe we put that Jet Sweep out there so they'd out think themselves, and keep a men in the middle to cover the middle run, and leave the corner open? The options are endless. :)
I am wondering the same thing about our offense. It would be interesting to know the psychological aspect of the jet sweep last week and what Saban has planned. Everything is for a reason.

I read an article on al.com this morning that was interesting. Damien Harris and Jarrett Stidham played football together ages 7-8 on same team in Kentucky and are good friends to this day. I did not know that.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I think we have to limit the snaps our defense plays. 70 or less is preferable. Time of procession will be of the utmost importance. We are thin on defense so we need to keep our guys as fresh as possible. I think it will help the pass rush getting Miller back on defense and I was impressed with Moses this weekend, but Mercer and Auburn are 2 different animals entirely. Anfernee Jennings may be an important guy in this game as well. I expect them to motion a half a dozen times prior to the snap trying to confuse us. Eye candy. I think whoever scores 1sr may dictate the tempo of the game. Lets hope that is Bama.

I believe Stidham is not nearly as good when he has a decent pass rush and also is not nearly as accurate. The old adage that whoever can run the ball and stop the run the best will win.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think we have to limit the snaps our defense plays. 70 or less is preferable. Time of procession will be of the utmost importance. We are thin on defense so we need to keep our guys as fresh as possible. I think it will help the pass rush getting Miller back on defense and I was impressed with Moses this weekend, but Mercer and Auburn are 2 different animals entirely.
I agree we need to try and limit their snaps if possible, but I don't think all snaps are equal. If we could be up 28-7 at halftime and make Auburn throw as opposed to handing it off to Johnson, I think we'll have a big advantage. I'll trade some ToP for getting Auburn in leverage situations. If we can't control the clock and it is within one score at the half, I think we're in some trouble.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think we have to limit the snaps our defense plays. 70 or less is preferable. Time of procession will be of the utmost importance. We are thin on defense so we need to keep our guys as fresh as possible. I think it will help the pass rush getting Miller back on defense and I was impressed with Moses this weekend, but Mercer and Auburn are 2 different animals entirely. Anfernee Jennings may be an important guy in this game as well. I expect them to motion a half a dozen times prior to the snap trying to confuse us. Eye candy. I think whoever scores 1sr may dictate the tempo of the game. Lets hope that is Bama.

I believe Stidham is not nearly as good when he has a decent pass rush and also is not nearly as accurate. The old adage that whoever can run the ball and stop the run the best will win.
Yep, Stidham is pretty bad under pressure. Just look at the pick he threw this past weekend vs ULM. He got flushed from the pocket and was being chased down and threw up a duck. Now, if he has good protection and a clean pocket he's as dangerous as any QB in the country. We've got to at least push the pocket and apply some pressure even if we don't get sacks..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
BTW, if you've watched AU play this year you know they love to throw the quick WB bubble screen to #23 Ryan Davis. Davis is really quick so the defense has to come up quick to make the tackle. They've run this play all year but I have not seen them fake the bubble screen and throw to the other WR who would normally be blocking. Think about the plays we ran against Clemson with OJ Howard. Basically fake bubble screen then deep pass to the other WR who would typically be blocking. I hope our coaches have prepared for the fake bubble screen because I could definitely see AU trying it at least once..

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Pressure pressure and more pressure. Hard to throw or run when the back field is full of crimson. Need to frustrate them early and often. Our O has to get out fast and score. WE need to dictate their offensive play calling not their coaches. Get up and force them to try to keep up. That limits their play calling. Make Stidham pass, and harass him constantly. His accuracy is bad when under any type of pressure. Remove the run game as much as possible. PUT it in Stidham's hands and stay in his face, if we do that, they fall apart. Take them out of their game, which is running to open passing. We need a few early defensive stops and our O has to put up some early points. Make them play from behind. I know our O can keep up with theirs,so if we have a lead just match em point for point from that time on.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Did Kerryon Johnson play much against us last year or was it mainly Pettway? I know their offense is better this year simply because they have a decent QB in Stidham compared to Jeremy Johnson, who we got to play against the past 2 years. I just can't remember how much play time K johnson got against us last year. He is really good. He is the main one we need to contain. I am still somewhat worried about our run defense against this team, unless we do get some linebackers back for the game.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Did Kerryon Johnson play much against us last year or was it mainly Pettway? I know their offense is better this year simply because they have a decent QB in Stidham compared to Jeremy Johnson, who we got to play against the past 2 years. I just can't remember how much play time K johnson got against us last year. He is really good. He is the main one we need to contain. I am still somewhat worried about our run defense against this team, unless we do get some linebackers back for the game.
The biggest thing in defending K Johnson is to not go for the kill shot. The dude has uncanny ability to slip out of tackles and make people miss when it looks like he's dead to rights. The defense needs to make solid contact and wrap up instead of trying to take his head off..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The biggest thing in defending K Johnson is to not go for the kill shot. The dude has uncanny ability to slip out of tackles and make people miss when it looks like he's dead to rights. The defense needs to make solid contact and wrap up instead of trying to take his head off..
Guice and Johnson are very similar RBs. Alabama did a great job on Guice, though he got decent stats. I expect the same from Johnson in this game. He will get close to 100 yards rushing and 20-30 yards receiving, but it won't be nearly enough if Alabama can shut down their passing game.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
^^^^^This^^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
^^^^^This^^^^^

Wrap him up and grab the legs, some of our best runners in the past where shut down that way. DO not make the top ten highlight hit, like you said wrap him slow him and wait for backups to put the hurt on him :mad:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.