Auburn FG in 2013 the greatest play in college football history? Seriously?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Was doing some reading on the longest FG's made and other things here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_goal

And found this garbage...

[SUP]
Seriously? The greatest play in college football history????

No way. Anyways, just for this I hope we bury them on Saturday. As in 50+ to something below 10.
[/SUP]

Quite frankly, almost everyone here would agree with this assessment if it was anything besides Auburn beating Alabama. But that blind spot of fans and refusal to just flat out admit we got beat up and up endures among college football fans.

If you're going to assess it objectively, it's certainly ONE of the greatest. Of course, greatest is a nebulous term, but I think all you have to do is look closely at the other candidates, and it is eminently reasonable that Play That Shall Not Be Named (PTSNB) is among the greatest plays if not THE greatest play.

Let's look at a few of what have been proposed here.

1) The Goal Line Stand Vs Penn State, 1979

Hell, I hate to be a wet blanket, but that wasn't even the greatest goal line stand in the Penn State-Alabama series, so how in the world can it possibly be the best in the history of the game? Also, the goal line stand - technically - was more than one play, it was a series of plays. Furthermore, while the GLS has assumed the status of legend among college football fans, it's a lot like the idiots who think Bill Buckner lost the World Series or Steve Bartman lost the playoffs.......it's not true no matter how many times you hear it.

Alabama botched the punt after the successful GLS. However, Penn State had 12 men on the field, and we kept the ball. In no way do I deny it's importance historically in Tide lore (and it was the first Alabama game I ever saw), but it's stretching the truth immensely to say it was the greatest play(s) ever. We had one in the 1981 Penn St game in Happy Valley, the game where Bryant tied Stagg's record of 314 wins.....but almost nobody remembers it.

Why? Simple - it wasn't a game with a "lot" of national significance in the national title race. (It SHOULD have been.......it was #5 Penn St vs #6 Alabama.....but almost nobody recalls anything about the game).

2) Flutie To Phelan, 1984

I did not see this game as it occurred on Black Friday, and Mom and I went shopping for some kerosene heaters for the winter (got two of them!). But I did watch ESPN SportsCenter when I got home, and here's the thing: the coverage of it in those more reserved days was almost "ho hum." I mean, Flutie was so all over the media coverage of 1984 that NOBODY WAS SHOCKED when he threw the bomb that beat Miami. Indeed, while it was a great play, I think it would have been more shocking had he NOT completed the Hail Mary. Flutie was the recipient of a ton of hype that fall, my suspicion being because he was the first white Heisman winner since Cappelletti in 1973, and he also attended a school known more for academics than athletics. So he was put on a pedestal, especially because he was so short.

But NOBODY who was alive and paying even minimal attention at that time was remotely surprised that Flutie won that game, either. Indeed, the Kordell Stewart to Michael Westbrook Hail Mary at the Big House in 1994 was actually more dramatic, even if it didn't clinch a Heisman for the quarterback.

Now.....what do these two things I've said reveal? First, the greatest play HAD to be nationally televised so that everyone could see it. Second, the stakes must have been enormous (see GLS). And third, it had to have a certain level of stunning shock and awe rather than "well, ho hum" (Flutie's play).

Given those criteria....how would you now rank PTSNB now?

3) Five Laterals Through The Tubas, 1982

OK, now, let's just get something straight here......yes, it was a great play.....but....

a) it was between two .500 ball clubs going nowhere (so who really cares?)
b) the game was shown on the USA Network, not exactly a bastion of college football even back then
c) almost nobody even knows ANYTHING about the game EXCEPT the final play........they don't know the final score, they don't know what led up to it, many folks don't even know the names of the two teams in the game.......or that what set it up was a sensational drive by Stanford QB John Elway (who was never heard from again), including converting a 4th and 17 at his own 13-yard line...

All anyone really knows is the announcer screaming, "THE BAND IS ON THE FIELD!!!" They don't know why, don't even know who scored the touchdown....literally 99% of fans don't know anything about the play EXCEPT.......the play itself.

So now that we've dispensed with those, what else qualifies? Teague's got the ball is memorable (indeed, it's the most memorable moment of that game) but technically that play never actually happened. Prothro's catch was insane, but you'll see one like that about every five years or so. Miami and Duke had a multiple lateral game just a few years ago. Goal line stands happen all the time.....but...

Never in the entire history of college football had ANY game EVER ended like the 2013 Iron Bowl

In the previous 120 years of NCAA football, I think that type of play had only occurred maybe three times. NEVER had a game ended that way. It was a case of where a team lined up thinking they were playing for the win and - quite literally - wound up losing BECAUSE of the play.

It was the most watched game of the regular season (13.8 million viewers).
It was a winner-take-all match for the Western division.
Because of the two-team BCS format in its final year, the loser was going to be dead (nowadays, we end up in the playoff and pulverize the opposition in anger).
It ended Alabama's bid to become the first legitimate three-peat college football champion.

In a sense, this very moment was the thing that makes baseball so exciting (when it is). In other sports, a team that's 18 points ahead with two minutes left bores you to death with fouls (basketball) or kneel plays (football). In baseball, there is no clock, and you MUST get 27 outs to win. A team can be down by 12 runs with one out left and still win the game. The pitcher can't hold onto the ball and let the clock expire.

In this particular game, the team with the ball set up and likely figured the odds of LOSING on that play were maybe 2%, especially since Auburn didn't even try to block a ball that would need a low ascent in order to succeed in the first place. Once the ball was kicked, it is doubtful any Alabama fan was entertaining the thought of losing ON THAT PLAY.

But it happened.

Give Auburn credit. On that particular play, they beat Saban with what he usually beats other teams with - thinking ahead and turning the situation to their advantage.

I think a strong argument can be made for that play, yes.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I honestly think the hail mary against UGA was a better and more miraculous play.

I was at that game, I can still feel how cold it got so quickly. But it's an undeniably great play in the history of college football. It's one of those - I don't necessarily agree, but I don't think you're wrong if you say it's the greatest.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If this had happen to any other team, this would have been an afterthought. It's Bama, so it's going to be viewed this way.
uh, no.

Rest assured that if Clemson was playing Miami with a shot at a three-peat hanging in the balance and lost this way, it would be just as remembered.

On the other hand, nobody even recalls that Odell Beckham did it in 2013 against UAB......because the game was a nothing.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I honestly think the hail mary against UGA was a better and more miraculous play.

I was at that game, I can still feel how cold it got so quickly. But it's an undeniably great play in the history of college football. It's one of those - I don't necessarily agree, but I don't think you're wrong if you say it's the greatest.

The UGA miracle actually is a more miraculous play but here's where I disagree.....UGA got the ball back and a chance to respond. In fact, UGA drove 55 yards in 3 plays and was at the Auburn 25 when the game ended.

Alabama literally had no opportunity to respond. It was the death blow of death blows.

Strangely enough......IF the UGA miracle doesn't happen then the PTSNB (maybe PTSD for Play That Shall not be Discussed) doesn't even matter.

Even if we lose, beat Mizzou and Ohio State loses, and we're killing FSU.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
No doubt. I was watching this on TV when it happened. Of all the players who could have caught that wild one-handed sling of the ball, for it to land in the hands of Alex Collins is beyond miraculous. Collins got them the 1st down, which led to their victory, but if he had made it into the end zone on that play, it would probably rival the Cal-Stanford lateral play.

As for the Kick Six, well, I think the sheer uniqueness of it is what makes everyone think of it as "great." How often does a field goal attempt fall short enough to be run back? That was the first time I've seen it in my lifetime. Aside from that, I don't think it was any more special than running any other punt or kickoff back for a score. If the Kick Six had happened in the middle of the 2nd quarter, we would rarely ever see a replay of it.

But one thing is for sure: we'll be seeing it all week up until game time.
That play was a designed throwback...Alex Collins was set up with the line to block for him. It actually was a work of creative genius that was almost derailed when the TE was forced to sling it backwards...and when Collins fumbled the ball when tackled. Yes, without that play we never win the national championship that year. Incredible.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Credit where credit is due. It's up there.
It's a legitimate debate for greatest play ever.

The stakes, the atmosphere, the rivalry and then that ending.

I will burn me up to my grave thinking about it but thankfully I have the soothing aloe of 16 national championships to help allay that burn. Auburn has 1 play and 1 natty.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
All anyone really knows is the announcer screaming, "THE BAND IS ON THE FIELD!!!" They don't know why, don't even know who scored the touchdown....literally 99% of fans don't know anything about the play EXCEPT.......the play itself.
The reason the band was on the field is really quite simple: EVERYONE in the stadium heard a whistle blow, and the assumption was the refs called the play dead. You can not see or hear any of that, on the replays. I was there, and I can say, with 100% certainty, that is how that part of the play unfolded.

I suspect it was someone on the Cal bench who blew the whistle. That game was so fraudulent, from start to finish, API could take lessons on how to cheat.

(I have no allegiance to either of those 2 teams, and thought their concept of "The Big Game" was conflated nonsense. Bill is right: 2 nothing teams going nowhere. One had some goofy looking kid who might be the #1 draft pick, next spring. Big deal.)

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I read somewhere shortly after it had happened that this play had only occurred a few times in all of recorded college football history, so I would rank it pretty high though probably not THE greatest of all time.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I wouldn't argue too hard against that being the greatest play ever. I wouldn't choose it myself, mainly because it bring back bad memories. But I can definitely see a good case being made for it and not complain too much. Even though I wasn't even watching much football at the time, I have to go with the Cal Bears kickoff return with multiple laterals to eventually spike the trombone player in the endzone.

As far as best Alabama plays off all time, there are lots that stand out in my mind. But my favorite season was the 92 season, and I still love the George Teague rundown and take away from Lamar Thomas. That play was huge in that it denied a bid for momentum from Miami at a time when they needed to make a move. Never mind that Miami actually ended up getting to keep the ball due to a penalty. That play, in my mind (don't give any contradictory fact that ruin my story), sealed to ultimate outcome of that game.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I still contend that the runner stepped out of bounds well before the endzone. They never check though. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.