Joey Jones announces resignation as South Alabama head coach

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Programs like South Alabama should be at the FCS level. That way they could compete for championships instead of hoping to be .500 and making a bowl game only their parents watch.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The six years they've been at the FBS level, USA has been 2-11, 6-6, 6-7, 5-7, 6-7, and 4-7. They've had several big wins, but can't consistently get up for the "smaller" games and frequently lose to inferior opponents. Joey did a great job getting things going and has been a great ambassador for the program, but the progress has stalled and the program is stuck in a rut.
Program? Since when do they have a "program"? They have a football team with no chance of success at this level.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I'm not sure I get this. I do not like the fact that their program exists, but why is he forced out mid-season? I'm not sure what people expected, he's been competitive, for a program that shouldn't exist what else do they want?
UAB and USA's football programs need to be knocked down to D1AA or FCS as they now call it.

rtrbama1

1st Team
May 31, 2015
They should at least be a successful Sun Belt conference program. They beat Mississippi State and a top-20 San Diego State team last year, and then end up 2-6 in the conference. They beat the two best teams in the SBC this season, then lose to two of the worst, one a 0-9 team by 52 points. It's been the same every year. It was time to make a change.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Personally....i think that's a great record for a total start up. I mean, what were they expecting?
From the USA fans I know, their frustration is that they can beat Troy, Mississippi State, and some other good teams, but then lose 52-0 to winless Georgia Southern. At any level, you should be able to beat the ones you're supposed to beat.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think they did the right thing. Jones’ contract was up so this doesn’t cost anything. He seems to have stagnated and the fan base is getting restless. No, they aren’t going to the playoffs, but they can contend for the Sun Belt.

If it was me, my first call is to Tee Martin. He is from Mobile, owns a ring, and can say he trained under Peyton Manning.

My next call is to John Grass at Jax State.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.