Joey Jones announces resignation as South Alabama head coach

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm not sure I get this. I do not like the fact that their program exists, but why is he forced out mid-season? I'm not sure what people expected, he's been competitive, for a program that shouldn't exist what else do they want?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Unfortunate because there are ups and downs for programs like this if you have bad luck trying to find 1 or 2 star diamonds in the rough in a year or two. Likely this is due to butts in the stands...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I'm not sure I get this. I do not like the fact that their program exists, but why is he forced out mid-season? I'm not sure what people expected, he's been competitive, for a program that shouldn't exist what else do they want?
They only have one game left and he will coach it. His contract is up so they had to make a decision.

He has been about a .500 coach there. Not bad, but if there is no indication things are improving, they did the right thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Guys, it is UAB. UAB firing Jones is like the poor turning down day old bread. What? They have better head coaches lined up for that job?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Guys, it is UAB. UAB firing Jones is like the poor turning down day old bread. What? They have better head coaches lined up for that job?
South Alabama, not UAB. Bill Clark just signed an extension with UAB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
South Alabama, not UAB. Bill Clark just signed an extension with UAB.
Okay, I misread, but same difference. Hard keeping track of all of these teams that don't matter at all. We have plenty of them in Ohio as well.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
He started the program and was like an icon in Mobile...but at least he did the right thing and resigned rather than make them fire him. Lots of class for Joey Jones as far as I can see....perhaps NS can find an analyst job for him as he only needs about 1 more year to have his 25 year retirement with the state of Alabama.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Joey Jones will always be part of one of the greatest Iron Bowls ever. His catch and getting out of bounds to stop the clock to set up The Kick will always be one of the greatest wins ever. He was a great HS coach before he became the first coach at USA. Truly a class act.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Joey Jones will always be part of one of the greatest Iron Bowls ever. His catch and getting out of bounds to stop the clock to set up The Kick will always be one of the greatest wins ever. He was a great HS coach before he became the first coach at USA. Truly a class act.
I could be mistaken, but I think that was Greg Richardson.

rtrbama1

1st Team
May 31, 2015
The six years they've been at the FBS level, USA has been 2-11, 6-6, 6-7, 5-7, 6-7, and 4-7. They've had several big wins, but can't consistently get up for the "smaller" games and frequently lose to inferior opponents. Joey did a great job getting things going and has been a great ambassador for the program, but the progress has stalled and the program is stuck in a rut.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
The six years they've been at the FBS level, USA has been 2-11, 6-6, 6-7, 5-7, 6-7, and 4-7. They've had several big wins, but can't consistently get up for the "smaller" games and frequently lose to inferior opponents. Joey did a great job getting things going and has been a great ambassador for the program, but the progress has stalled and the program is stuck in a rut.
Personally....i think that's a great record for a total start up. I mean, what were they expecting?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Likely this is due to butts in the stands...
No coach is going to change the fact that people in Mobile only care about SEC football. I said from the start, even when some people thought otherwise that Mobile simply won't support the team. Mobile fans don't really support any local sports teams well, they never have. But South Alabama was full speed ahead, and now when what I said would happen, happened, it's the coach right?

He has been about a .500 coach there. Not bad, but if there is no indication things are improving, they did the right thing.
There are no indications that they should expect any better. If they expected to start a program from scratch and do better than .500 they're delusional.

Personally....i think that's a great record for a total start up. I mean, what were they expecting?
You really want the answer? They started their program out of a sense of entitlement. If Alabama and Auburn can be such a big deal why can't they? Well I can give you a long list but they don't want to hear it. Rent free use of Ladd isn't enough, .500 isn't enough, they feel entitled to tens of millions of dollars for a shiny new stadium, and to become relevant in the state. One of those two might happen, but it darn sure won't be relevance within the state.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.