Next Year's Secondary

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Who is going to start and backup at NT ? Dwight seems to be all we have now. It's such a key position in the 3-4. IMO, Payne is the most underappreciated player on the team as well as one of the best, along with Minkah and Evans.

Other than NT the front 7 should be good, maybe very good: DL Williams, Davis, Ray, Buggs, Dwight, Mathis; OLB Miller, Lewis, Jennings, Allen, Brown; ILB Wilson, Moses.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
We may need to sign about 4 linebackers if we have the same luck next year that we're having now.....
We've got 3 committed, plus parks as a greyshirt and the ATH who is commited could also end up as an LB so we're in decent shape if they all sign. we're still lean in the defensive backfield though...

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
In the secondary we have some young talented players and we are strongly recruiting 3-4 5* and 4* CB's with one being a JUCO as RTR91 referenced.

At safety we have Deointe Thompson and Keaton Anderson and some talented kids in Xavier McKinney, Daniel Wright and Kyriq McDonald who will be true sophs next year.

At CB, we have Trayvon Diggs, Jared Mayden and Shyheim Carter. Some of the highly rated true freshmen CB's will get a shot to start or heavily contribute.

As others have said, I don't worry about the defense.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I guess we have to discuss something, but...

...heading into year 12 under CNS and people still worry about the defense?
2014 defense was definitely not up to par with the other defenses. Ole Miss, Auburn, tOSU. All had way too high scores. However, I think if you put this year's offense (only one interception thrown by Hurts) with 2014 defense we would still have had a National Championship. They still got plenty of stops, they just were not ad good as other years.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
2014 defense was definitely not up to par with the other defenses. Ole Miss, Auburn, tOSU. All had way too high scores. However, I think if you put this year's offense (only one interception thrown by Hurts) with 2014 defense we would still have had a National Championship. They still got plenty of stops, they just were not ad good as other years.
2014 was one of the worst defenses statistically under Saban. It is second to last in what opponents averaged compared to what they actually did against Alabama in yards and points. Alabama still held opponents to 99 yards per game and 12.8 points per game less than they averaged in any other game.

That's a testament to how great our defenses have been.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
2014 was one of the worst defenses statistically under Saban. It is second to last in what opponents averaged compared to what they actually did against Alabama in yards and points. Alabama still held opponents to 99 yards per game and 12.8 points per game less than they averaged in any other game.

That's a testament to how great our defenses have been.
My point was not to pick on the 2014 defense. I am proud of every single team that has played for Alabama. My point was to show that when "life" happens our defense, even under Saban, can have much worse years than usual. You have however shown that much worse is not too bad at all though. Still, in big games that defense failed to take the pressure off the offense. That teams offense (or maybe that years OC) failed to rise to the occasion at the end of the season. I think that IF next year's defense is not a top 5 defense that the offense still could win a championship.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
True but we are potentially looking at replacing 9-10 starters. That’s insane...
You are right that in the dime Bama is losing 9 starters, but in more normal packages they return 5 starters: Davis, Buggs, Miller, Jennings/Lewis, Moses. The front 7 could be very good.

I've asked this question twice elsewhere, but can't get anyone to respond: What does anyone think about the NT situation next year ? Payne and Frazier will both be gone. What will be Dwight's role and how good can he be ? What might Bama's plan be in respect to returning players and incoming talent ? Thanks for any thoughts.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
You are right that in the dime Bama is losing 9 starters, but in more normal packages they return 5 starters: Davis, Buggs, Miller, Jennings/Lewis, Moses. The front 7 could be very good.

I've asked this question twice elsewhere, but can't get anyone to respond: What does anyone think about the NT situation next year ? Payne and Frazier will both be gone. What will be Dwight's role and how good can he be ? What might Bama's plan be in respect to returning players and incoming talent ? Thanks for any thoughts.
thing is, we play dime more than we play the 3-4 so it's a bigger impact losing all 6 dbs. we're only in the 3-4 at most 15-20% of the time and in many games far far less.

for NT Davis might slide inside when we play 3-4 if Dwight doesn't take the spot. mathis might get a look depending on how he develops with coach Cochran.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
thing is, we play dime more than we play the 3-4 so it's a bigger impact losing all 6 dbs. we're only in the 3-4 at most 15-20% of the time and in many games far far less.

for NT Davis might slide inside when we play 3-4 if Dwight doesn't take the spot. mathis might get a look depending on how he develops with coach Cochran.
Thanks for the response. I thought we were usually in the nickel.

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
We won't know as they haven't played, but with Miller, Lewis & Jennings... along with Buggs, Ray, etc. The pass rush & front 7 could be elite again. It's been pretty darned good this year even with injuries.

In years when the secondary is young, there are always growing pains, but by November it's usually on point. Plus the front 7 is there to help support withi that pass rush. Along with an incredible offense.

Only thing I'm worried about is if Lamar Jackson returns. . . because he would be the only player I can see testing us before Miss State & Fitzgerald, & the rest of that team will be a disaster.. Maybe if TA&MU or Tenn score big with their coaching search. . . Even then it will be early in the year. If you do feel we have to rebuild & I don't. . . Next years early schedule is a great one to do it against. The offense will carry them far

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I think the biggest factor in defensive stats not being as good that year was the change in offensive philosophy. We had a lot of quick strike scores that year and put up some stats that look pretty to those who worry about stats, but we weren't controlling the line and time of possession as much as usual. Generally speaking, the more the defense is on the field, the worse the stats are going to look. Clemson has shown during the last two national title games that even great defenses look average if they are on the field for 90-100 plays.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Thanks for the response. I thought we were usually in the nickel.
we play nickel more than anything else with dime the next most used. even in the nickel we don't use the NT in the traditional way as we slide the alignment of the dl over much of the time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.