Avery Tells Jay Barker Greg Bryne will have an Announcement on Coleman in 2018

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm guessing those attendance figures aren't butts in seats but based off of ticket sales. Coleman has way too many empty seats in prime viewing locations. Some TV games it looks like half the seats around the court are empty.
Yes, the number is paid attendance. But, it shows the potential that's there. Coleman's biggest issue isn't the number of seats, it is the quality of those seats. I just believe if they have better seating arrangements, and a better product on the court, attendance can be pretty strong. I'd agree as is there are major issues though and don't have a problem with a reduction of seats, but 10K seems a little harsh.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I think most of us will agree that Coleman needs to be replaced at some point. CAJ's comments led me to believe that very good changes to Coleman are coming so I think this needs to be the thinking for now. Hopefully a good upgrade while Byrne raises more money toward a new arena.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I know this is an old topic, but I just wanted to add something else to this discussion. I went to Austin last year to see the game with Texas. Their arena was old, but had a much better design that will not grow outdated as it ages. I think it had 3 tiers and that way the lower level looked pretty full. The upper areas were more or less empty so it did not look bad on TV with a bunch of empty seats. Coleman was designed 50 years ago with a single tier design which has not kept up with the new arenas. I said before we have the 5th best facility in the state with the largest basketball fan base. We need a new arena. We just spent close to 40 million on baseball which loses tons of money every year. You'd think we could spend the money on a sport that would eventually pay for itself.

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
Someone posted on another board that they would play in the BJCC. I really can't think of any other arena that could accommodate the men's and women's basketball teams, plus gymnastics for a season. Maybe, they could play a few games in Huntsville at the VBCC?
Of course I live in Decatur but Huntsville is growing a lot of Military that get up early and can't make Tuscaloosa,change might be good right now.

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
It's real easy to spend somebody else's money, but if renovation would not be significantly cheaper, I'd say build a new facility and that way we wouldn't have to play games in other places during renovation.

The problem with the current 15k layout is that so many of those seat are just ridiculously far from the court and are up in the rafters. We probably only fill it a few times a year, even in good years, so a slightly smaller arena with better design makes alot of sense.
The games from what I see games are stagnant in T town for the Team were putting up right now.

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
I have to admit to having some concerns about just renovating Coleman and lowering capacity to 10K.

First, I will admit 15K seems a little too big. The thing is, Alabama's attendance is and has actually been pretty good. They averaged almost 12K last year, which put them at 27th in attendance. Lowering the capacity below 12K would low Alabama's attendance right off the bat. I understand they're not Kentucky, so they can't expect or hope to have 20K+ attendance in any venue. However, Tennessee averaged 13.5K, Arkansas averaged 15. Alabama is 5th in the SEC in attendance. I'd like that number to go up and now down, and they can't do without around at least 13K capacity. If Alabama gets on track the demand for seats will increase. Remember, this program is vying for its rightful place as the second best program in the SEC.

That aside, it's hard to imagine a scenario in which they can make Coleman state of the art and not just be better off building a new facility. I'd have to see the plan and prices before I really form an opinion though.
I don't want to say this but games I watch, because it's sounds like I'm disputing your stats but when I watch it don't look good to me.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I also think 10,000 is too small. The announced attendance last night was 12,000 which we all know as not butts in the seats. It was tickets sales. There was probably 10,000 there though and that is a good crown for that early in the season. In fact the UTA was probably the biggest crowd I have seen for a non SEC game since I've been going to the games. I'd say about 12,500 would be a good number with a tiered seating arrangement so the bottom would almost always look full. You'd have to move the Tide Pride seating, but that doesn't bother me in the least since most of them only show up for the UK and Auburn games. I have staff tix thru my wife. Whatever they decide, lets hope this is a new era of basketball at Alabama. I once told Coach Johnson(at a softball game just after he took the job) that basketball was waiting to explode, and now that he is putting a goodteam on the court, I think it will happen.

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
I also think 10,000 is too small. The announced attendance last night was 12,000 which we all know as not butts in the seats. It was tickets sales. There was probably 10,000 there though and that is a good crown for that early in the season. In fact the UTA was probably the biggest crowd I have seen for a non SEC game since I've been going to the games. I'd say about 12,500 would be a good number with a tiered seating arrangement so the bottom would almost always look full. You'd have to move the Tide Pride seating, but that doesn't bother me in the least since most of them only show up for the UK and Auburn games. I have staff tix thru my wife. Whatever they decide, lets hope this is a new era of basketball at Alabama. I once told Coach Johnson(at a softball game just after he took the job) that basketball was waiting to explode, and now that he is putting a goodteam on the court, I think it will happen.
I thought Tv coverage Looked the best I have seen.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I heard on the Bams Radio podcast last week that the plan is to entirely gut the inside of CC, move the seats closer to the court, and reduce the capacity to around 10,000. Not sure where the team would play home games, but possibly the BJCC for a season.
This exactly what they need to do, may have to get a dedicated facility for gymnastics and other indoor sports that use that facility?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think 10k is about the right size for a college basketball arena. The real problem with Coleman is that it is a multi-modal facility and basketball is best for the fans in a place built to only host basketball in my opinion. They really should just build a dedicated basketball arena in my estimation but I don't hold the purse strings nor understand the property issues at hand.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.