Avery Tells Jay Barker Greg Bryne will have an Announcement on Coleman in 2018

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I heard on the Bams Radio podcast last week that the plan is to entirely gut the inside of CC, move the seats closer to the court, and reduce the capacity to around 10,000. Not sure where the team would play home games, but possibly the BJCC for a season.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I'm for a better basketball facility and experience. Coleman is a 50 year old structure (began in '65, opened in '68). It seems the reported 80 million would be better spent on constructing a new facility and then demolishing Coleman (which will still be 50+ years old even if/when renovated). Under the proposed plan mentioned above, there may not be a way around it, but I'm not crazy about the playing for a season at the BJCC part. Of course I only make it to 3 to 4 games a year so my opinion matters very little.

I look forward to them, at some point, releasing some drawings of what the finished product will look like. Exciting times for hoops.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I heard on the Bams Radio podcast last week that the plan is to entirely gut the inside of CC, move the seats closer to the court, and reduce the capacity to around 10,000. Not sure where the team would play home games, but possibly the BJCC for a season.
I don't think you grab the caliber kids we are grabbing to have them play in Birmingham...but maybe.

I'm thinking a new facility would be the better choice.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I don't think you grab the caliber kids we are grabbing to have them play in Birmingham...but maybe.

I'm thinking a new facility would be the better choice.
Someone posted on another board that they would play in the BJCC. I really can't think of any other arena that could accommodate the men's and women's basketball teams, plus gymnastics for a season. Maybe, they could play a few games in Huntsville at the VBCC?

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I'm for a better basketball facility and experience. Coleman is a 50 year old structure (began in '65, opened in '68). It seems the reported 80 million would be better spent on constructing a new facility and then demolishing Coleman (which will still be 50+ years old even if/when renovated). Under the proposed plan mentioned above, there may not be a way around it, but I'm not crazy about the playing for a season at the BJCC part. Of course I only make it to 3 to 4 games a year so my opinion matters very little.

I look forward to them, at some point, releasing some drawings of what the finished product will look like. Exciting times for hoops.
I have been lobbying for a new facility for a long time. Coleman is outdated and the site lines are just terrible. I agree a new facility would be a much better fit. Not only would you not lose money from reduced ticket sales at an arena you do not own while a new building is being built, you can literally save money by on new construction over remodeling a 50 plus year old facility that is filled with asbestos. The abatement process I would think would take months alone. There is plenty of available land on the new Bryce property so land is not an issue. I think 12,000 seats makes more sense to me. Once the new building is done put Alabama Hockey in Coleman along with womens basketball and volleyball. I personally think Hockey would draw a good crowd.

SavanaBama

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 25, 2000
Huntsville, AL
I'm married to a Gator. We were just in Gainesville this past weekend and attended a game in the O'Connell Center -- I didn't realize how bad our view is in Coleman until sitting in the recently renovated arena in Gainesville. The couple sitting next to us in the O'Connell Center on Sunday evening indicated their renovation began immediately (as in minutes after) the final home game in March then games began again in January of the following year. The Gators played away games to the maximum extent in November and December as well as playing games in Jacksonville and Orlando. I'm pretty sure Dayton just completed a similarly timed upgrade of their arena. I doubt that's a sufficient timeline for Coleman. I do agree, though, that it's time for a renovation. The O'Connell Center was bright, the seating was comfortable, students were very close to the floor, the video was crystal clear, etc. The seating is smaller than Coleman (i.e., ~10K) as mentioned above. I hate to remove seats, but we definitely need to get seating closer to the floor.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
10,000 seats is not enough, 12,000 sounds about right. It would likely cost over a $100 million to build a new arena. Auburn spent $90 million 5 years ago for a smaller arena.

I think as with baseball renovation they want to keep the facilities in the same area as the AD department. Academics has a long-term plan for the Bryce property not athletics related. I think Coleman can be gutted on inside and be a really nice facility with luxury boxes etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
10,000 seats is not enough, 12,000 sounds about right. It would likely cost over a $100 million to build a new arena. Auburn spent $90 million 5 years ago for a smaller arena.

I think as with baseball renovation they want to keep the facilities in the same area as the AD department. Academics has a long-term plan for the Bryce property not athletics related. I think Coleman can be gutted on inside and be a really nice facility with luxury boxes etc.

Most of the time a new building is cheaper than a renovation job.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
well, you never know how attendance goes in the future. But one of the worst looks is playing in an empty arena. In Coleman, a crowd of 8,000 looks very bad..In a 10K arena, it'd look pretty good.

If we're trying to attract the best recruits(as we're doing) why in the world would we make the arena smaller?
The crowds need to get bigger not smaller.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Agree, at least 12M. Hopefully, steeper seating and closer to the floor to hold in the noise better.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I'd vote for tearing down Coleman and building new.

For reasons already cited by others, I'd vote for 10K capacity in the new building.

Something to think about: Today, at almost 50 years, Coleman is pushing twice as old as Foster Auditorium was when Memorial Coliseum (as it was then named) opened.

We are way overdue. You can put only so much lipstick on a pig.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's real easy to spend somebody else's money, but if renovation would not be significantly cheaper, I'd say build a new facility and that way we wouldn't have to play games in other places during renovation.

The problem with the current 15k layout is that so many of those seat are just ridiculously far from the court and are up in the rafters. We probably only fill it a few times a year, even in good years, so a slightly smaller arena with better design makes alot of sense.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I have to admit to having some concerns about just renovating Coleman and lowering capacity to 10K.

First, I will admit 15K seems a little too big. The thing is, Alabama's attendance is and has actually been pretty good. They averaged almost 12K last year, which put them at 27th in attendance. Lowering the capacity below 12K would low Alabama's attendance right off the bat. I understand they're not Kentucky, so they can't expect or hope to have 20K+ attendance in any venue. However, Tennessee averaged 13.5K, Arkansas averaged 15. Alabama is 5th in the SEC in attendance. I'd like that number to go up and now down, and they can't do without around at least 13K capacity. If Alabama gets on track the demand for seats will increase. Remember, this program is vying for its rightful place as the second best program in the SEC.

That aside, it's hard to imagine a scenario in which they can make Coleman state of the art and not just be better off building a new facility. I'd have to see the plan and prices before I really form an opinion though.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I have to admit to having some concerns about just renovating Coleman and lowering capacity to 10K.

First, I will admit 15K seems a little too big. The thing is, Alabama's attendance is and has actually been pretty good. They averaged almost 12K last year, which put them at 27th in attendance. Lowering the capacity below 12K would low Alabama's attendance right off the bat. I understand they're not Kentucky, so they can't expect or hope to have 20K+ attendance in any venue. However, Tennessee averaged 13.5K, Arkansas averaged 15. Alabama is 5th in the SEC in attendance. I'd like that number to go up and now down, and they can't do without around at least 13K capacity. If Alabama gets on track the demand for seats will increase. Remember, this program is vying for its rightful place as the second best program in the SEC.

That aside, it's hard to imagine a scenario in which they can make Coleman state of the art and not just be better off building a new facility. I'd have to see the plan and prices before I really form an opinion though.
I'm guessing those attendance figures aren't butts in seats but based off of ticket sales. Coleman has way too many empty seats in prime viewing locations. Some TV games it looks like half the seats around the court are empty.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
correct. I just think it's not a good atmosphere for the players to play in when it looks and feels so empty. also, not a good look for recruits. you're taking a risk hoping we can fill it up

I'm guessing those attendance figures aren't butts in seats but based off of ticket sales. Coleman has way too many empty seats in prime viewing locations. Some TV games it looks like half the seats around the court are empty.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.