How can Alabama make the playoffs even with an Iron Bowl loss

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I would stop bothering with making sense out of their decisions year to year or even week to week. They will come up with whatever field they think will put the most eyeballs on the screen that can be reverse engineered into "making sense."
Yep, and THIS is my problem with the whole thing....

nobody is going to convince me the mulligan granted Ohio St in 2014 would have turned out the same had TCU been Oklahoma and Ohio St been Purdue.

Alabama will be in the field as long as they don't get blown out by Auburn or Georgia if the Big-12 and/or Big Ten knock themselves out. They'll figure out the reason in post but the reality is that we would be one of the four best teams and we produce more eyeballs (and there is 3 years of highly rated Alabama playoff matchups to prove the point).
Also true.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Do you think the committee ranked South Carolina in the top 25 for the first time this week to help Clemson's and Georgia's strength of schedule? Maybe to set them up for a better run with one loss?

I hope SC can somehow beat Clemson but I don't see it happening. We just need to beat Auburn and not have to wonder what may or may not happen afterwards.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
For me, if I was comparing a 2 loss Auburn and a 2 loss Clemson team, I would look at both of their seasons in their entireties, not just the one game played head to head. I have not really done so at this point so I don't know which I would land, but I would not make my decision based solely on an 14-6 outcome in September. Had the game been played in the last month or so it would be a slam dunk for me given how soundly Clemson beat Auburn (the score is not indicative of the beating that Auburn took in that game). But Clemson has regressed since then and Auburn has progressed.
I don't disagree.

You're correct it's not as simple as "Team X beat Team Y." To use a personal example for you, even though Penn St beat Ohio St by three last year, I had no doubt the Buckeyes were the better team. Statistically, in fact, they dominated the game but that one TD was all the difference. A three-point win in October, basically the margin of home field advantage, was not enough in and of itself, and it shouldn't be, so I agree.

But Clemson pretty much owned Auburn after the middle second quarter of that particular game.

Where I'm hesitant is the be-all and end-all of conference championships.

To say (as the Dumbledork Committee no doubt would), "Auburn was selected over Clemson because they won their conference championship" is the height of absurdity. To say their resume was better overall is one thing......to say that a conference championship >>>> head to head is beyond ludicrous.

Honestly, just based on watching them the last few weeks, I think that Auburn would beat Clemson if they played today.
I think so as well, but I question whether THAT should be part of the subjective criteria in use, too.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.