How can Alabama make the playoffs even with an Iron Bowl loss

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They said exactly what we have all said - if Alabama loses, you have to pray that OU and/or Wisconsin also lose. Clemson and Miami are not going to lose until the ACCCG, so one is in. The winner of the SECCG is in. If OU and Wisconsin both win out, the pool is set and Alabama would get left out.

You have to beat Auburn and Georgia to be sure that you get it. That's just the way that it shakes out.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
This all boils down to “resume vs eye test”. Everyone knows Bama is one of the 4 best teams but they are looking for any excuse to keep us out. They keep saying our resume is horrible but they forget that we have pretty much dominated everyone except for one game.

We have to beat Auburn, plain and simple...

HMM

All-SEC
Sep 1, 2007
Even if we lose to the barn, it's not like we lost to the Cuse...lol

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Agreed with what has already been said. SEC Champ and ACC Champ are in. If we fall to Auburn we need Wisconsin or Oklahoma to lose. An undefeated Wisco or a 1 loss Oklahoma are getting in.

I love our odds, personally. But who cares about that -- undefeated SEC Champ has a better ring to it anyway.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
Why are we discussing an Iron Bowl loss?
Let's just do what we got to do to do it!

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
UGA losing to Tech and then beating the Barn would help us. Oklahoma would need to lose. Miami beating Clempson. Wisky doesn't have to lose in this scenario.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
TOSU will blitz Wisconsin. If we were to lose, the biggest threat to our continued participation would be a one-loss Miami team, assuming the Agrarians beat Georgia a second time.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If Alabama loses to Auburn, they will need help to get into the playoffs. Having said that, they probably would get the help they needed. But it's better if they can just beat Auburn.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This all boils down to “resume vs eye test”. Everyone knows Bama is one of the 4 best teams but they are looking for any excuse to keep us out.
Who, may I ask, is "they"?

They keep saying our resume is horrible but they forget that we have pretty much dominated everyone except for one game.
Well, when the teams you play aren't good, you don't have to be that good to dominate, either.

To be fair, it's NOT our fault. I mean, everyone thought at the start that FSU-Bama was a national title preview matchup. And the weird thing is that I'm
supposed to let Auburn's lackluster September pass ("well, they made changes") but LSU's is supposed to be binding on them.

There's a sense in which we're paying the price for "that team didn't look good early."

We have to beat Auburn, plain and simple...
Yeah, we really do.

If we don't put it into the committee's hands then there's no problem.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I cannot remember a year in which so many teams controlled their own destiny so late in the year. There are seven teams assured of a playoff spot if they win out:

SEC - Alabama, Georgia, Auburn
ACC - Miami, Clemson
Big 12 - Oklahoma
B1G - Wisconsin

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I'm only going to post here because it's already bumped to top but WHY are you guys even talking about this?

We haven't even played the game yet. Did you learn nothing from the MSU game? You're taking a defeatist attitude before the team has even played.

My god the Eeyore syndrome is completely out of hand on here.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm only going to post here because it's already bumped to top but WHY are you guys even talking about this?

We haven't even played the game yet. Did you learn nothing from the MSU game? Your taking a defeatist attitude before the team has even played.

My god the Eeyore syndrome is completely out of hand on here.
Discussing an article. It doesn't mean that we think it will be necessary. I think that Alabama is going 15-0 this year.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Right now I think these are the only conferences and independents alive:

Independents - None

ACC - Clemson, Miami

Big Ten - Wisconsin

Big-12 - Oklahoma

Pac-12 - None

SEC - Alabama, Auburn, Georgia

Somebody is likely to get in without winning their conference AND/OR having two losses if Wisconsin falls. I happen to think Auburn is the only team that would have a resume to get in with 2-losses. I do not think Clemson makes the field with a 2nd loss either. So two ACC bids is unlikely if Miami wins out. I really think “who gets the spot vacated by the Big Ten and PAC-12 punting on having an elite team” is only Alabama at this juncture.

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Discussing an article. It doesn't mean that we think it will be necessary. I think that Alabama is going 15-0 this year.
Same here and fair enough I guess. Just frustrating seeing some of the scores picked and then this being on top of the threads.

I'm sure any AU fans who take a peak over here are getting a chuckle out of it. Though I'm not helping by posting again myself...lol

My advice would be to ignore stupid articles like this until it's a problem to actually worry about.....but Eeyore's gonna Eeyore on here.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
IF the committee is honest then a loss by us to number 6 team on the road that is CLEARLY effected by injuries would be given the same pass they have ALREADY ADMITTED given to Clemson for a HORRIBLE loss to Syracuse. I still think Wisconsin will be exposed by tOSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.