Japanese whiskey

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I want to gift some Japanese whiskey, but I've actually never tasted any of their offerings. (So, clearly, it's 25% a gift for myself.)

Nikka and Yamazaki seem to be the most highly respected distilleries. Does anyone have experience with these? Looking for recommendations.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Nikka and Yamazaki both have solid reputations, but I'm more of a traditionalist (I know, who'd'a thunk it?). I like my Bourbon from Kentucky (or Virginia), my Scotch from Scotland, and my whisky from Ireland or Tennessee.

Tider@GW_Law

All-American
Sep 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA
You really can’t go wrong with any Japanese whiskey. If the recipient likes smooth and more approachable whiskies, Hibiki is the best in the world on this front. Yamazaki 12 is probably the one most think of when talking Japanese whiskies, and it’s great in the old school Scotch style. The Coffee Grain and Coffee Malt are, in my opinion, not for whiskey neophytes, as they take a little testing with water to figure out what’s palatable - but still great. The Nikka offerings are all solid and distinctly different - but most on the peaty side, if you’re into that.

Dekanta is having a Black Friday sale and they have a lot great info on Japanese whiskies. Japan really is making the best whiskey/whisky in the world right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i have had the yamakuzi before. we had a couple of bottles a few years back i picked up at duty free. i liked it a lot, more than bourbon, but not as much as i like single malt scotch.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
You really can’t go wrong with any Japanese whiskey. If the recipient likes smooth and more approachable whiskies, Hibiki is the best in the world on this front. Yamazaki 12 is probably the one most think of when talking Japanese whiskies, and it’s great in the old school Scotch style. The Coffee Grain and Coffee Malt are, in my opinion, not for whiskey neophytes, as they take a little testing with water to figure out what’s palatable - but still great. The Nikka offerings are all solid and distinctly different - but most on the peaty side, if you’re into that.

Dekanta is having a Black Friday sale and they have a lot great info on Japanese whiskies. Japan really is making the best whiskey/whisky in the world right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for the insight! I'm definitely getting him the Yamazaki 12, and I was considering the Hibiki, although I may have to stick with the standard Hibiki rather then the 12 year, for cost reasons. I keep reading that the Nikka Taketsuru malt is one of the smoothest drinks in the world. The coffee malt I was wavering on -- it's been compared to more of an American style bourbon, which is intruiguing, but it might be more polarizing than the others.

I can get him three bottles. I was originally thinking Yamazaki 12 and two Nikkas. But maybe the Yamazaki 12, standard Hibiki, and Nikka Taketsuru would be better? I'm definitely open to suggestions.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Thank you for the insight! I'm definitely getting him the Yamazaki 12, and I was considering the Hibiki, although I may have to stick with the standard Hibiki rather then the 12 year, for cost reasons. I keep reading that the Nikka Taketsuru malt is one of the smoothest drinks in the world. The coffee malt I was wavering on -- it's been compared to more of an American style bourbon, which is intruiguing, but it might be more polarizing than the others.

I can get him three bottles. I was originally thinking Yamazaki 12 and two Nikkas. But maybe the Yamazaki 12, standard Hibiki, and Nikka Taketsuru would be better? I'm definitely open to suggestions.
personally, i would do three separate ones. would make for some nice taste comparisons.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.