Game Thread: OFFICIAL POST-GAME THREAD - Bama vs. Barn...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
They get up for it and their coaches encourage it. Saban does not want his players to get up for any game. For all of his strengths, Saban does not get this one right.

But that's not why you lost this game or any of the others. You lost this game because they played great football, and Alabama played very poor football.
I love CNS, but I agree. We don't need emotion to beat most Auburn teams, but when they are good, we do, and we always seem flat during those close games.

We looked lathargic tonight.

bamakeeb

3rd Team
May 2, 2011
Don't think you can blame Jalen. Poor game plan wasn't his fault. Neither was the sub par pass blocking for the most part.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Though Its asking too much for this offensive coaching staff to work him in a few plays here and there that would be to unvanilla for us.
That's the issue though. The OC, from his NFL days is very much a chunk it down the field type of offensive mind. That's what his offense reverts to, a fairly predictable, slow developing pass play type of offense. So, to look at another QB as the solution, rather than you know, other plays, like more of the short stuff they did early, or just quicker developing plays, is the issue. I don't see how Tua would have had time to run those plays.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
All Bran had maybe the most balanced attack vs. 'Bama in Saban's time, and made it more effective with a couple of QB runs - as opposed to deploying a passing RB that OC "New Year's" Daboll plugged in with #2. Must've discovered Sark's crumpled crib sheet for how to put your own defense under siege by three-and-out offensive paralysis by analysis...

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
A few of my observations:

1. Although our defense didn't play badly it's not quite as good as a year ago. Even if we were 100% healthy our defense a year ago was better. Had better pass rushers then.

2. OL was up and down all season. Today it was down.

3. Do we have any trick plays in our playbook? Appears not. I thought we might try a couple in the second half to change the momentum when Auburn got the lead but we didn't.

4. Even though some people believe streaks are nonsense and every season is different I believe they do affect the psychology of players going into a game. Finebaum and others mentioned some streaks before this game that favored Auburn and those streaks continued.

5. I think UGA beats Auburn next week. Auburn is emotionally drained and physically beat up after playing us. UGA wants revenge, the game is in their home state and Auburn has yet to beat anybody good away from Jordan-Hare.
Respectfully,

(1). This was a really poor defensive showing. Injuries explain some of it. The rest was poor effort and poor technique. How many times did our players blow tackles that resulted in 10-20+ more yards? Answer - many times. :-(

(2) yep. Again, part of it is due to injury, but not all of it. We lost on the LOS on offense all night.

(3.) well, considering we couldn’t execute our base offense....

(4). Agree completely. Our guys all looked like they were waiting for aub to screw up so they could win by default.

(5) UGa’s game with the boogs was a lot like ours. The better team played horrible and aub played great. I don’t know what will happen next week, but UGa could hardly play worse than they did a couple weeks ago.

I know I’ll be pulling for Kirby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
It isn’t that. Some are just acting like it is the end of what we know as Bama football. We have had games like this before in the past 4 years.
And two of them have been against Auburn.

Jess just tweeted that while Saban hasn't proven capable of beating a good Auburn team, Auburn has twice managed to bear good Bama teams.

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005
I’ll just say something I’ve thought since last year, then leave it alone. We will never be back in the playoffs with the inconsistent QB play we have now. At some point, you should improve as the season progresses. The two steps forward then three steps back is not something you can afford at that position.
I am not a Hurts fan boy. However, Hurts played well enough all year and is a much better this year then last year. He is not the issue. I believe Daboll is.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
And two of them have been against Auburn.

Jess just tweeted that while Saban hasn't proven capable of beating a good Auburn team, Auburn has twice managed to bear good Bama teams.

Yep, I said that in the game thread. A highly ranked Auburn team is our kryptonite.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My problem with the offensive game plan is simple - you went slow when you have had you best success going fast. Saban/Daboll played this game not to lose while Auburn played it to win. Alabama took no chances while Auburn rolled the dice time after time. Frankly, that disappoints me as much as the loss itself - the fact that Saban still plays this kind of team like it is 2010. I thought that he had learned better after his comments before the aTm game. I was wrong.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
It should've been very clear after the LSU game that we have a very "Blah" offensive game plan. We are working on a "programmed" offensive game plan. We have 1. Run the ball and then 2. Throw long. That's it!!!! There is no creativity or usage of the slots/TE in the intermediate passing. I never thought I would actuall long for the Jet Sweep or the Smoke Draw!
Exactly. We have way too many good players to suck on offense like this. And this offense needed to step up to help the defense with all of the injuries on that side of the ball. Kiffin at least knew how to run the type of offense that could keep a good defense on it's heels. Our current staff is pretty much what you stated - hand off, throw long, throw long, punt.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I just can’t find much fault with any player’s effort. Oh sure there were plenty of brain farts to go around, but that’s not an effort issue.

This one is on the coaches, especially offensive coaches, for a poor plan to begin with and an inability to adjust. Indeed the worst issue being the fantastic TD drive to start the third quarter and not going back to those kinds of running plays for the rest of the game.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Obviously our offense struggled...even while running for over 200 yards. On the 3rd and 4 when we threw the swing pass to Bo, he was the wrong back for that play. Bo does not go to his right as well as his left -- and is not agile enough to dodge one player coming full steam. Harris or Jacobs would have had an easy first down.

If I can see that...then why can the coaches not see that? We were outcoached tonight and the players knew it...that is why they were panicking. We were never ahead of AU in the thought process...their coaches were one step ahead of us.

Oh well -- losing 1 every 4 years to AU we can handle...I hope.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
You can’t play sub-par and expect to beat agbarn and timely missed calls in their house.
Ridley was almost tackled in the EZ when Hentges almost made the miraculous catch. Missed holding calls galore when their o-line was getting beat.
I saw in the game thread that someone asked about a top o-line coach. It made me wonder if that even exists any more. Seems I read somewhere that the NFL was even having trouble with quality o-line coaches and developing players. Players were getting together and working together to hone their craft over summer because their coach was a former LB or WR and didn’t know the nuances of o-line play.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Exactly. We have way too many good players to suck on offense like this. And this offense needed to step up to help the defense with all of the injuries on that side of the ball. Kiffin at least knew how to run the type of offense that could keep a good defense on it's heels. Our current staff is pretty much what you stated - hand off, throw long, throw long, punt.
Here's the silver lining. Alabama is going to have plenty of time to get healthy and try to solve their issues.

Might they get a chance to try out some improvements in the playoffs or just a major bowl game? Who knows at this point, but I'm not feeling too bad that the team we saw play this game isn't taking the field next week.

Ridley was almost tackled in the EZ when Hentges almost made the miraculous catch.
I think it's always a little dubious to harp on the refs after the loss, but there was a string of about 3 calls that really seemed to swing the momentum. A couple questionable ones in Auburn's favor, and then that mugging of Ridley. Those calls go the other way, and the game could have as well.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I had a sinking feeling early on, basically when Alabama decided not to go for it on fourth down. It felt like Alabama didn't yet realize the fight they were in for, and wanted to play it safe. Alabama needed every break and big play they could get, and this was a rare instance of everything conspiring against them (even the refs).
That was textbook CNS early in the game. Pin 'em deep and don't give them a short field.

Yes, hindsight is 20/20, but in most cases that's the right call. We just didn't expect to give up a 95 yard TD drive. That set the tone.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
My problem with the offensive game plan is simple - you went slow when you have had you best success going fast. Saban/Daboll played this game not to lose while Auburn played it to win. Alabama took no chances while Auburn rolled the dice time after time. Frankly, that disappoints me as much as the loss itself - the fact that Saban still plays this kind of team like it is 2010. I thought that he had learned better after his comments before the aTm game. I was wrong.

Well said...Saban has his blind spots like all of us. Other coaches now see them...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.