Game Thread: OFFICIAL POST-GAME THREAD - Bama vs. Barn...

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Heard Cecil on the radio a few minutes ago. He said he felt Auburn deserved to win the game but continued by saying he believes the botched FG was pretty much the turning point in the game.

Although Auburn was up 20-14, Alabama had the great kick return and had gotten the ball to the Auburn 12. Then, we have a delay of game on 3rd and 4 followed by the horrible pass across the field that was almost a tip drill TD for Hentges. He mentioned how the game might have been different if Alabama is able to score a TD to go up 21-20. Instead, the game was pretty much sealed with the botched snap.

When asked about fans wanting more running plays, he admitted he is always in favor of running the ball more but also the defense can dictate those things as well. He ended his answer by saying he would have loved to see us run the ball on the opening drive when we had 4th and 1 at the Auburn 48. "But by punting, that showed Nick Saban didn't feel they could dominate the LOS and get a first down."
I thought pretty much the same thing at the time. I was saying "go for it, go for it" the whole time. It sets the tone for the game - "we're playing to win and you can't stop us".

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I was screaming the same thing as this was happening. I said you have to go for it. Even though it was the first drive of the game everyone knew that our defense would not be able to play at a high level for 60 minutes. That was such a soft move to punt there..
I thought pretty much the same thing at the time. I was saying "go for it, go for it" the whole time. It sets the tone for the game - "we're playing to win and you can't stop us".
Agreed. Saban showed a little regret when he brought it up during his halftime interview with Allie LaForce, but the offense wasn't any different in the second half.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Heard Cecil on the radio a few minutes ago. He said he felt Auburn deserved to win the game but continued by saying he believes the botched FG was pretty much the turning point in the game.

Although Auburn was up 20-14, Alabama had the great kick return and had gotten the ball to the Auburn 12. Then, we have a delay of game on 3rd and 4 followed by the horrible pass across the field that was almost a tip drill TD for Hentges. He mentioned how the game might have been different if Alabama is able to score a TD to go up 21-20. Instead, the game was pretty much sealed with the botched snap.

When asked about fans wanting more running plays, he admitted he is always in favor of running the ball more but also the defense can dictate those things as well. He ended his answer by saying he would have loved to see us run the ball on the opening drive when we had 4th and 1 at the Auburn 48. "But by punting, that showed Nick Saban didn't feel they could dominate the LOS and get a first down."
i wanted us to go for it, but i was thinking more that the punt on 4 and 1 was more of an overly conservative decision rather than us not being able to control the line of scrimmage issue.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Alabama is the strongest program to pull viewership.
That may be true.
Why would ESPN, amidst all the turmoil of losing subscribers and ad revenue, want something that would cause them to generate even less revenue?
The number of people around the country that are sick and tired of Alabama and will switch off a game if Alabama is playing might exceed those who will switch on a game because Alabama is playing.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
That may be true.

The number of people around the country that are sick and tired of Alabama and will switch off a game if Alabama is playing might exceed those who will switch on a game because Alabama is playing.
And they ALL switch on the game when Alabama is behind on the scoreboard. Funny isn't it?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Me too. It showed we weren't going to be aggressive. Or at least as aggressive as we needed to be.
iirc, we had stopped them on the previous series and we seemed to be moving the ball well to that point, so i sort of understood not going for it on their side of the field to play a field position game.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
iirc, we had stopped them on the previous series and we seemed to be moving the ball well to that point, so i sort of understood not going for it on their side of the field to play a field position game.
You are correct. They got the ball first and we forced a punt. But they drove 96 yards after we punted back to them, instead of attempting that 4th and 1.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
You are correct. They got the ball first and we forced a punt. But they drove 96 yards after we punted back to them, instead of attempting that 4th and 1.
yeah. i was thinking that the mindset may have been more conservative thinking we would be stopping them and playing a field position game. if they had driven down the field and scored the first drive, i think we may have gone for it.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
i wanted us to go for it, but i was thinking more that the punt on 4 and 1 was more of an overly conservative decision rather than us not being able to control the line of scrimmage issue.
CNS played the odds from midfield. I can't disagree with his decision there. The game was still 0-0 and we had stopped them on their first drive after just one first down.

He didn't want to give them a short field from the 50 yard line. This approach works almost all the time.

Hindsight is 20-20 (or 50-50 as Yogi Berra said) so sure it's easy to say that now because we know they went 94 yards after we punted for a TD.

CNS had some coaching issues in this game, but I don't think that was one of them, especially when we're tied with them very early in the game.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
CNS played the odds from midfield. I can't disagree with his decision there. The game was still 0-0 and we had stopped them on their first drive after just one first down.

He didn't want to give them a short field from the 50 yard line. This approach works almost all the time.

Hindsight is 20-20 (or 50-50 as Yogi Berra said) so sure it's easy to say that now because we know they went 94 yards after we punted for a TD.

CNS had some coaching issues in this game, but I don't think that was one of them, especially when we're tied with them very early in the game.
agreed. i wanted us to go for it, just because we have been in those situations most of the year, and i also wanted us to drive down the field on our first possession and score.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Alabama is the strongest program to pull viewership. Why would ESPN, amidst all the turmoil of losing subscribers and ad revenue, want something that would cause them to generate even less revenue?
I know Fox Sports doesn't have the CFP, but they do have some other conferences - and other than Clay Travis - they have lobbied hard against us all year. Cowherd, Klatt, etc. You can brush it off as virtual click bait, and I would agree, but I do believe there is some attempt to keep Bama out if the opportunity is there. I think Auburn and OSU both win this weekend, but I'm going to be really surprised if we get a bid.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

No need to gamble at that point in the game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.