Game Thread: Alabama minnesota

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I saw bits and pieces of the 1st half and Coach Johnson was getting on the refs pretty good even then. The refs let it get out of control, but how do you not throw out a single Minnesota player. The kid who elbowed Dazon should have been booted. He started the whole ruckus. Petty looked hurt bad. I saw a tweet where he left on crutches and a walking boot. I am proud of the guys who were in the game for showing some fight.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
Well... glad to know the football boys weren't the only ones messed over by the refs today. Seriously? That ought to never occur, especially in a neutral site setting.

TideBall

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 17, 2015
Minnesota had about a 20 pound per man advantage with their front court and they largely out muscled and intimidated our team in the first half. The refs were calling the game about like SEC refs from 6-10 years ago, when things were turning into a football scrimmage and everyone had tight ends playing forward. By then end of the first half, our team realized they had to match the physical aggression and this resulted in cutting the margin in half by the time of the bench clearing episode. Once we started being equally physical, Minnesota did not like it and things got very chippy.

The officials in NYC could clearly have avoided ejecting the Bama players who were simply restraining their own teammates, but I think they wanted to send a message and make an example, where Alabama was a perfect target for them. Actually, this may have been one of the best things that could happen to our young team (with exception of the injury to Petty). They needed to see how they will be required to play against teams with a larger, stronger front line, particularly with accommodating refs. We have a very tough pre-conference schedule and Minnesota is likely to be in the Sweet Sixteen (if not better), so this loss should not hurt us very much with the Selection Committee, particularly when people look at the special circumstances.

It would have been great to beat Minnesota, but we have several more opportunities against rated teams coming up and the SEC is likely to put 5-6 teams into the tourney this year, so I will just call this a learning experience for a very young team and hope for the best with Petty.

BamaBen15

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 3, 2017
Thanks, I knew that, more than a little flustered, crazy day between our two games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup, no worries. I am upset over the football...not so much about this one. I have zero doubt that we turn this around.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I wasn't able to watch the game. I'm thinking this was a teachable moment for the players regarding keeping their seats or staying at the bench. Does anyone know if Minnesota had any players leave their bench and step on the court? carder24 mentioned above that the Minnesota bench was not in camera view. Maybe the refs had a camera shot to review but if not, it is really not fair to have a complete review of one team and none on the other.

Still need to get more points out of Ingram. Smith continues to impress; only looking at his stats for this game and I know that he got extra minutes because of the situation but I still think he has shown more than expected by many for his first year.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
I wasn't able to watch the game. I'm thinking this was a teachable moment for the players regarding keeping their seats or staying at the bench. Does anyone know if Minnesota had any players leave their bench and step on the court? carder24 mentioned above that the Minnesota bench was not in camera view. Maybe the refs had a camera shot to review but if not, it is really not fair to have a complete review of one team and none on the other.

Still need to get more points out of Ingram. Smith continues to impress; only looking at his stats for this game and I know that he got extra minutes because of the situation but I still think he has shown more than expected by many for his first year.
Things were already chippy after their PG got thrown out, Ingram got tangled up with one of their guys and he threw a punch at Ingram, causing our guys to leave the bench. I don’t think their bench players got on the floor.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Things were already chippy after their PG got thrown out, Ingram got tangled up with one of their guys and he threw a punch at Ingram, causing our guys to leave the bench. I don’t think their bench players got on the floor.
Thanks. I looked at some of the videos and I think you are correct about the Minnesota players. I first thought the Bama players were ejected because they were on the court by a foot or two, which may still be the case, but they did move farther out to get a hold of some more team mates and that for sure got them ejected.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Just wow ... we all thought this season would be fun, and its already lived up to that level. Glad to see them battle back in the midst of adversity. Any word on Petty's injury?

Last edited:

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Thanks. I looked at some of the videos and I think you are correct about the Minnesota players. I first thought the Bama players were ejected because they were on the court by a foot or two, which may still be the case, but they did move farther out to get a hold of some more team mates and that for sure got them ejected.
Why is there a rule about automatic ejection when the player’s intent is not to engage the other team but restrain their own teammates? Can’t they look at the video and see the players pulling their teammates back? Just curious.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Why is there a rule about automatic ejection when the player’s intent is not to engage the other team but restrain their own teammates? Can’t they look at the video and see the players pulling their teammates back? Just curious.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...asketball-how-alabama-played-three-players-10

“By rule, whenever a potential situation occurs on the court, no player may leave the bench area. If they do leave the bench area and don’t participate in the altercation that’s going on then they are ejected from this contest and there’s no further penalty, which is what happened. They all came onto the court. We went to the monitor and reviewed all of that. Based on the views that were given us it showed all of their players on the bench, came off the bench onto the court. The views we were given we didn’t see anyone from the Minnesota bench come onto the floor.’’
I seem to recall more emphasis and maybe the rule change several years ago. I can think of two reasons for making this a hard rule. One, it takes a judgement call away from the refs so they can call it like they see it. Two, players getting on the court may have the intent of pulling team mates back but once they get near other players, the situation could escalate into something more.

I'm not opposed to the rule. I think coaches should practice this with the teams a few times even though it would seem like a silly drill.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Went back to read post game thread and funny no one believing you about our 3 on 5 situation

Yea I kept repeating it but I think everyone thought it was to bizarre to be true. Glad I caught it. Seeing what the other fans were writing made it even better.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I watched a good bit of the game, especially after the altercation. Proud of our guys for their grit and determination. My main concern yesterday, and still today, is the physical toll it took on the three guys that played 10+ minutes alone. I'm sure our staff and support folks know what measures to take to get the guys rejuvenated and, fortunately, we don't play until Wednesday. I was also very impressed with how CAJ handled the situation (I probably would not have done so well, ha!). They showed him during one of the breaks drawing up three players plays. He was making lemonade out of the lemons he's been handed.

I doubt we'll have to worry about anybody leaving the bench, for any reason, for years to come. ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.