Question: Playoffs: Think we'll still get in?

Do we make the playoffs?

• Yes

Votes: 103 64.0%
  • No

Votes: 58 36.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I just have a bad feeling that the playoff committee will pick Ohio State if they beat Wisconsin. Gene Smith is on the committee and that in itself is a competitive advantage. I just somehow have a feeling that they will be in at #4 even though they have that 55-24 beatdown to Iowa on their resume. Someone convince me otherwise.
the hypocrisy of picking Ohio St over Penn St then turning around and picking Ohio St with 2-losses the following season is just too much to tolerate with 1-loss nearly wire-to-wire #1 out there and 2 other conference champs with less egregious losses. The SEC, Big-12, and Pac-12 will revolt.

CincinnatiAlum

2nd Team
Aug 9, 2004
Just feels like the committee is willing to give all the other teams a "pass" for their loss ... Clemson had a hurt QB, Auburn has 2 losses, Ohio State .. well they just get a pass for who knows why every year ...

But for some reason having 5 injured LB's out most of the year is not enough to get a pass for a loss.

Yes... we didn't play our best and still only lost by 12.

This whole committee better get this right! If they put two 2 loss teams over us I might lose my mind :) ...consider yourselves warned :)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We'll know a lot about the committee's mindset after tomorrow. If we're lower than #6 then we're probably in trouble.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
The more I try to think about this, the more I am sure that I have no clue what the committee will do.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
FIFY. I think our window of opportunity is much more narrow than that.
I think Georgia will be #5 and they're either playing in and playing Auburn out, so it is not very important to be #5. I think #6 is the threshold for "first in if OU or Wisky loses"

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I think Georgia will be #5 and they're either playing in and playing Auburn out, so it is not very important to be #5. I think #6 is the threshold for "first in if OU or Wisky loses"
Sounds about right. UGA or Auburn will be out of it after the SECCG.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
I agree with that, but I actually think we will be ranked higher than Georgia. The ND win is getting more tainted and their Auburn loss was pretty ugly. I suspect we are #5.

I am very concerned that Wisconsin is going to win Saturday. They are playing good football and I just don't think Ohio State is at the level they have been under past Meyer teams. I really hope I'm wrong, but I just don't have a good feeling about that one.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
the hypocrisy of picking Ohio St over Penn St then turning around and picking Ohio St with 2-losses the following season is just too much to tolerate with 1-loss nearly wire-to-wire #1 out there and 2 other conference champs with less egregious losses. The SEC, Big-12, and Pac-12 will revolt.
We can only hope that it plays out as you suggested. As bad as Alabama looked on Saturday, it wasn't a 55-24 beating like tOSU took at Iowa.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
We need two of these to happen. We need Auburn to beat Georgia, Ohio State to beat Wisconsin, or TCU to beat Oklahoma.
All three would be a lock, but give us two and we're in.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
We need two of these to happen. We need Auburn to beat Georgia, Ohio State to beat Wisconsin, or TCU to beat Oklahoma.
IMO, all we need is Ohio State to win. Anything else is gravy.

Last edited:

MobileBama84

Scout Team
Aug 30, 2016
Daphne, AL
This is what I believe too, Sip. I’m looking forward to this weekend’s matchups and their results more than I have most other weekends this season. Doesn't the CFP rankings/schedule come out Sunday?

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
I may be called a sunshine pumper but if we do make the playoffs, I like our chances of winning the title even more coming off the loss.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I can't see Alabama slipping past #6. Our loss to Auburn was not nearly as bad as Georgia's and half of our defense was banged up.

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
First thought. Ohio State will probably take Wisconsin out, something like 42-7, and they will get in the playoffs....just like a few years ago, and they backed up the committee’s decision by winning the National Championship. So it’s a safe pick.

Second thought, if Ohio State beats Wisconsin in a tighter game, the Ohio State AD on the selection committee will make sure he uses his leverage, if you know what I mean.

Third, the consensus is that people want to see Bama knocked out. It’s not personal, every dynasty that’s king of the hill deals with it. I get that feeling that this committee might look for the worm holes in the Bama apple. We’ll see.

Ohio State’s embarrassing loss to Iowa State should be case closed. Oklahoma is a worse loss than Auburn. The best teams Ohio State has beaten, have slipped in the rankings, and OSU was lucky they slipped by the best team they beat, Penn State, by a point.

What gives me some hope is that Vegas still has Bama as a Co-favorite to win the national championship, and the smart money knows their stuff.

RTR!!!!!!!!

One game shouldn’t define a season. Especially against a red hot #6 team in a road rivalry game.

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I still think the Committee has integrity. The only agenda I can see is to keep undeserving, undefeated non-P5 teams out. Everyone likes the computers, but some computers have UCF in the playoff and even at no 1 - they want to avoid that. The Committee, being made up of humans, certainly has subconscious biases and is capable of flawed logic, but I think they genuinely go out of their way to do the best they can to avoid bias and to generate the best ranking possible. I don't think back door conversations or wink, wink agreements occur. If anything they may over compensate. (My only concern about their integrity is '14 when they dropped #3 TCU out and put #6 OSU in; but TCU lost their conference, played one less game and beat a bad ISU team, while OSU won their conference stomping a 10-2 Wisconsin team. At the time I was in favor of OSU, though I don't like them or Meyer. (B1GTide has made them more palatable :).) Last year I thought they should get in over PSU.) The polls are more biased and ignorant than the Committee and the computers are more ignorant. IMO, if they have integrity, the Committee is better than polls or computers or a mix. Even though I liked the BCS, we barely avoided a couple of unwanted scenarios.

One thing for certain is that to this point in CFP history they have given Alabama every benefit of the doubt, even ranking a 1 loss Bama ahead of an undefeated defending champion FSU. At the last ranking, Bama was #1 in '14, '16 and #2 in '15 and #1 this year til this week.

One of the few things I know a little about is how computer software works and I am adamant about not wanting computers determining who gets in. They are extremely limited in their ability to evaluate a college football season. This year and UCF is a perfect example. I would much rather have a poll or a committee. Yes, computers can be consulted but that's it.

That being said, the computers think very highly of Alabama :). I'm glad since the Committee does consult them. Also, within the last few weeks I heard them speak of things such as game control which argued in favor of Bama. They even complimented their schedule before the LSU, MSU, Mercer, AU stretch.

I may be naïve about their integrity, this year may tell a lot. I sure hope we don't live in TomFromBama's world :) - kinda kidding.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.