Offensive Identity

TheButcher1994

Dec 1, 2013
What are we trying to do on offense? We have great skill players, but things seems to be all over the place, even dating back to last year. Why are we afraid to line up and pound it, especially with a mobile QB.

Roll Tide and hoping for some playoff luck or a strong bowl performance.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think we are stuck between a pro-style and RPO offensive philosophy. Trying to mix the two works against weaker defenses but with the better teams we've played this year we've struggled.

Should be the object of much off season discussion.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Our offensive line is very inconsistent against quality competition. And unfortunately right now that's our identity. I do not blame our offensive linemen for this. Rather, I do not think they are being developed as they should. Hurts has some documented limitations and our playcalling leaves some to be desired. But a game like tonight's is won or lost in the trenches.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I feel like we're beating this to death... In the game threads, post thread and now this. At this point, we know what the issue is... the OL. I don't think it's the scheme.. it's the play of the OL.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I feel like we're beating this to death... In the game threads, post thread and now this. At this point, we know what the issue is... the OL. I don't think it's the scheme.. it's the play of the OL.
I disagree. Look at your rushing stats this year. This is a great run blocking o-line with a coaching staff that doesn't want to commit to being a running team.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I disagree. Look at your rushing stats this year. This is a great run blocking o-line with a coaching staff that doesn't want to commit to being a running team.
And that are not as bad in pass protection as they are being accused of.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Why are people scared to say it, the issue is Daboll and his refusal to play to our strengths. Maybe the OL could play better but, if your OL is struggling then you don’t continue to call for slow developing, long passes. Quick passes to the outside, some screens or quick slants would have been nice. This has been an issue all year. I’m not a Daboll fan.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I agree. Look at our drive to start the third quarter. There were huge holes and good runs. We seem like we are trying to do too much and are definitely too inconsistent. It seems we either have a good drive for a score or we are three and out. There are times when a good drive can be a few first downs and a punt that pins the opposing team inside the 20, but we seem to be feast or famine. We also had three different occasions tonight when our guys could have had first downs but either wussed out or tried for a big play. Hurts, Scarbrough, and Foster should have each had a first down at times tonight but did not get it. The first two times we punted and AU scored a TD. I don't remember what happened the third time, but we don't seem to be well schooled in the value of a first down. Tonight, we were clearly not the best team on the field. I tip my hat to AU.

rtrbama1

1st Team
May 31, 2015
Why are people scared to say it, the issue is Daboll and his refusal to play to our strengths. Maybe the OL could play better but, if your OL is struggling then you don’t continue to call for slow developing, long passes. Quick passes to the outside, some screens or quick slants would have been nice. This has been an issue all year. I’m not a Daboll fan.
Yes, the runs outside the tackles were working great today, but they didn't stick with them. Damien Harris only getting 6 carries was ridiculous.

Last edited:

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Shank Taylor nailed it. Commit to the feeding the RBs and watch how the pass game opens up for Hurts as well. Crying shame to see what happened tonight.

Titans&Tide

1st Team
Jul 22, 2000
Tuscaloosa, AL USA
www.kornegay.us
We have top-shelf talent across the board on both sides of the ball. I think we have a disconnect between what the coaches want to do - assuming they actually KNOW what they want to do although the evidence at this point doesn’t seem to support that notion - and what the guys can execute. I believe the problem starts up front and is exacerbated by how we’re using Jalen in the running game. Tonight was a microcosm of the schematic issues we’ve seen all year. No progress at all from the staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATLBAMAFAN

3rd Team
Feb 2, 2005
In my opinion we are simply trying to satisfy too many players with playing time at the detriment of our offensive consistency. This year, we have been a much more explosive offense when Damien is in the game. For him to only get 6 carries is criminal. Tonight was actually the best I’ve seen Bo run this year, but until now has not been as dynamic as he was a year ago. I understand the need for fresh legs but I think we lack some consistency due to our commitment to a rotation. We have great talent that we need to make sure gets touches but we also need sustainability.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.