What is deemed offensive holding?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
We all complain because we see what we feel should be called holding. An opposing teams players grabbing at, and impeding one of our defenders from making a play by grasping hold of our player.
So my question is, what is the written definition of holding? Do these refs we get week in and week out even know?
I’d like for Steve Shaw to get called out by Finebaum and asked to come on his show on the SEC Network and demonstrate what a offensive player may and may not do.

I think the air needs to be cleared once and for all!

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
The barn held ALL NIGHT LONG! They were singing Lionel Ritchie all night and the refs were clueless idiots. Evans was probably held at least 10 times tonight...

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Grabbing, tugging, or pulling on any defensive player who is not wearing an Alabama jersey.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We all complain because we see what we feel should be called holding. An opposing teams players grabbing at, and impeding one of our defenders from making a play by grasping hold of our player.
So my question is, what is the written definition of holding? Do these refs we get week in and week out even know?
I’d like for Steve Shaw to get called out by Finebaum and asked to come on his show on the SEC Network and demonstrate what a offensive player may and may not do.

Good sir, if you can find the answer to this and what consitutes a "catch" in the NFL you could possibly win the Nobel prize!

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013

Holding. The hand(s) and arm(s) shall not be used to grasp, pull, hook,clamp or encircle in any way that illegally impedes or illegally obstructsan opponent

RollTARDIS

Scout Team
Nov 22, 2017
Holding. The hand(s) and arm(s) shall not be used to grasp, pull, hook,clamp or encircle in any way that illegally impedes or illegally obstructsan opponent
If that is the definition then there is an escape clause that means the refs can never be wrong because it hinges on the word “illegally.”

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Offensive holding = unicorns if you are a dominant team. They only exist in the minds of dreamers, because these penalties are not going to get called. Coaches know it and use it to their advantage.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.