QB Competition 2018

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
Each year brings an opportunity for CNS to reverse his previous trend of having the starter as a holdover. I doubt he breaks tendencies and allows an open competition for the best player to play (and no, I am not pushing either one).

Anyone remember Rohan Davey?

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
I'm sorry, Tua isn't ready. it showed on the field at times. Tua is very good passer, and He can get the ball in receiver's hand... but the problem is his decision making at times. He has thrown into coverages several times... He hasn't learned to balance the risk and safe throws...
You and I are seeing things completely different, but that's OK.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Jalen throws into double and triple coverage as well. Not often, but he is not immune.
I'm sorry, I was talking about Tua, not Jalen. I know what Jalen does... There is a reason why he has won all those games... and his stats improved a lot.

Tua isn't ready for the full time job just yet. Ya'll want him to take over the reins for the playoff, We'll lose the game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I look at this is a different way when measuring "taking care of the ball."

If we were more aggresive with our passing attack (not only would it open up our running game to even more success) but it would allow us to put alot more points on the scoreboard, especially against better teams.

Now, would being more aggresive in the passing game open us up to more INTs? Sure. But which is better? Throwing no INTs but not being able to move the ball, make first downs and score points? OR, scoring a bunch more points, using the incredible athletes all around you to do so, but occasionally turning over the ball? If we score 2 tds for every 1 int, with our great defense, we'll win every game we play!

CNS's aversion to TO's and therefore playing too safe may be his achilles heel in these big games.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I also agree that we do need a true offensive identity in that we are somewhere in the middle right now. In the middle is indecisive. Not good in football as in a lot of other aspects.

Last edited:

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

If we were more aggresive with our passing attack (not only would it open up our running game to even more success) but it would allow us to put alot more points on the scoreboard, especially against better teams.

Now, would being more aggresive in the passing game open us up to more INTs? Sure. But which is better? Throwing no INTs but not being able to move the ball, make first downs and score points? OR, scoring a bunch more points, using the incredible athletes all around you to do so, but occasionally turning over the ball? If we score 2 tds for every 1 int, with our great defense, we'll win every game we play!

CNS's aversion to TO's and therefore playing too safe may be his achilles heel in these big games.
I'll go with door nr 2 Bob. :)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm sorry, Tua isn't ready. it showed on the field at times. Tua is very good passer, and He can get the ball in receiver's hand... but the problem is his decision making at times. He has thrown into coverages several times... He hasn't learned to balance the risk and safe throws...
You have the right to that opinion...I think others see something much different.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I said it to the TV many times last year and this year. We seem to be wasting a lot of talent (in terms of winning a NC). Last year the D was other worldly but IMHO our O got outplayed in the NC though kudos for helping us get there especially w/all the unnecessary OC drama. This year the O SHOULD have been other worldly and was at times yet showed the similar results when facing stiff competition. I agree with several that some of our players both this year and last were somewhat disgruntled on the offensive side of the ball. You could clearly see it in their body language. I also agree that we do need a true offensive identity in that we are somewhere in the middle right now. In the middle is indecisive. Not good in football as in a lot of other aspects.
Lots of goody in your observations. If the players are obviously disgruntled during a game (remember Calvin Ridley Saturday?) something not good is going on.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

A big component of CNS's formula to winning a game is defense. Not simply scoring as many points as possible. I think if you were to use a pie chart to break down the weighted value (in Saban's mind) of his formula defense may take up equal amount of that chart as the offense, possibly even more. Andto your exact statement, yes, at times this thought process becomes a problem in games in which we don't have a great defense or great defense performance. Risk and turnover aversion is so ingrained into his football DNA that even when he "cuts it loose" it really isn't "cutting it loose". It's "cutting it loose" by his standards but still has a decent size element of risk aversion in it. But given his track record, I'll take it.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

May?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
A big component of CNS's formula to winning a game is defense. Not simply scoring as many points as possible. I think if you were to use a pie chart to break down the weighted value (in Saban's mind) of his formula defense may take up equal amount of that chart as the offense, possibly even more. Andto your exact statement, yes, at times this thought process becomes a problem in games in which we don't have a great defense or great defense performance. Risk and turnover aversion is so ingrained into his football DNA that even when he "cuts it loose" it really isn't "cutting it loose". It's "cutting it loose" by his standards but still has a decent size element of risk aversion in it. But given his track record, I'll take it.
There's no doubt his "formula" works almost all the time. But there's a trend afoot that in our biggest games in the last couple of years, we can't make first downs and keep our defense (no matter how good they may be) off the field.

Concerning Saturday, there's no way we beat a good Auburn team playing them at home by only scoring 14 points. I said earlier in the week they'd get their points so we would have to get ours. I thought that would be our offensive MO, but it was obviously not the game plan. Much more "play it safe" and we see what happened.

CNS is too smart not to know this and he'll make the necessary adjustments.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
There's no doubt his "formula" works almost all the time. But there's a trend afoot that in our biggest games in the last couple of years, we can't make first downs and keep our defense (no matter how good they may be) off the field.

Concerning Saturday, there's no way we beat a good Auburn team playing them at home by only scoring 14 points. I said earlier in the week they'd get their points so we would have to get ours. I thought that would be our offensive MO, but it was obviously not the game plan. Much more "play it safe" and we see what happened.

CNS is too smart not to know this and he'll make the necessary adjustments.

Yep. Last night I finally took time to listen to his postgame presser and there was a point that he apologized (himself personally) for not doing a better job at putting the team in a better position to win. There something in his tone and the way he said that came across to me as he realizes something has to be done. Sure, there were execution errors that fall squarely on the players. But I think he meant something beyond that. I got the feeling he meant the approach to the game from a coaching/gameplanning/playcalling perspective. I concur, the guy is waaaay to smart not to know changes/adjustments need to be made.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Saban's statement that any possession that ends in a kick is a good possession is proof positive. I laughed when I first heard it. It is absurd. Any possession that ends in points is a good possession. Every possession that ends in anything other than points is a failed possession. I heard another coach talking about this comment after he made it - don't remember who - but he said something like, "this comes from a coach who trusts his defense more than his offense".

That is Saban's weakness.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Saban's statement that any possession that ends in a kick is a good possession is proof positive. I laughed when I first heard it. It is absurd. Any possession that ends in points is a good possession. Every possession that ends in anything other than points is a failed possession. I heard another coach talking about this comment after he made it - don't remember who - but he said something like, "this comes from a coach who trusts his defense more than his offense".

That is Saban's weakness.
In defense of Saban's comment I'd say he says it with an unspoken "assumption". That the defense does it's job and in his mind if he can put a defense on the field that is to his satisfaction his theory is right more times than not.

Much like the Patriot's "saying" of "DO YOUR JOB". During a football life of BB he clarified that statement a bit in that the implied, unspoken part of that saying is "Do YOUR JOB and do it well" .

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
You think that Saban kept AJ on the bench because he didn't think he would transfer? I think that Saban kept AJ on the bench because he felt that GMac was the "safer" option at QB. Saban was willing to let AJ walk.
No I don't think that. Was simply saying that if AJ almost transferred, there is probably a higher chance that Tua considers it

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
In defense of Saban's comment I'd say he says it with an unspoken "assumption". That the defense does it's job and in his mind if he can put a defense on the field that is to his satisfaction his theory is right more times than not.

Much like the Patriot's "saying" of "DO YOUR JOB". During a football life of BB he clarified that statement a bit in that the implied, unspoken part of that saying is "Do YOUR JOB and do it well" .
The reason that it is a weakness is simple - sometimes the defense can't carry the whole team. When those games come around, this philosophy creates losses for Alabama because he hasn't groomed the offense to have the same kind of attitude. The offense has to believe that they have to score on every possession - that nothing else is acceptable - just as the defense believes that they have to stop the other team from scoring on every drive.

Saban does not consider it a failure if the offense fails to score on a drive, but he does consider it a failure when the defense does not stop the other team from scoring on a drive. You can see it in his body language on the sidelines, and you can hear it in his philosophies. And this creates unnecessary losses.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
There's nothing aggressive about two steps and slant, or two steps and dump to the tight end over the middle. It's simple football now, maybe not five years ago, but it is now. We have playmakers all across the field, distribute the ball to them.

What if these slow developing pass plays were really quick first reads that Jalen missed?

I want these guys to sharpen each other: Tua to take Jalen's spot and Jalen to keep Tua on the bench. I'm not sure that's happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I gather from above posts and Nicks comments, he is realizing his defense first and foremost may need tweaking. Maybe it is time to get way more aggressive on offense. I think we and the staff know, we have to score more on good teams. We have to go in thinking 30 points minimum, we cannot always expect defense to hole teams to 10 points. Good teams will score 25 or so, we have to match that and beat that. The way games are played now even our fully healthy defense may give up 25-30, and be playing well. Other teams are good and can score even on our defenses. Time to get the offense to earn its keep. We have the players and talent, we need to get more aggressive and more unpredictable on offense. We need to mix it up. We also need to pick an offensive strategy. We need to pick what type of offense we are going to run, pro style, RPO, a hybrid, whatever. BUT we have to do it the Bama way. We can run a base offense on one of the trends, but we have to be flexible enough to keep defenses off balance. I think we may see some changes in style on offense real soon.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I agree. There are so many threads now but I will leave this though here. This could be a transition year for our offensive identity. It took us a couple of years to combat the HUNH but it was well documented about the transition. Maybe we are moving back to the old way of doing things on offense and the plays and offense we saw this year were just a steps in the transformation back to the Pro-set. We are getting the young o line some good reps in blow outs so next year they will be even better. Just a thought.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.