QB Competition 2018

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Yes, this play is from AJ's redshirt sophomore year, so he had one more year in college over Jalen at the moment. But AJ was only in his second career start and on the road.

Does anyone see Jalen making this throw, though?

AJ completed 66.8% of his passes at Alabama. He had 15 career INTs.

Jalen completed 62.1% of his passes thus far and has 10 career INTs.

Meant to include a followup stat to tie the above together - AJ threw an INT every 68.4 passes while Jalen has thrown one every 60.4 passes.

Let's not act like Jalen's low INT numbers are out of the ordinary. We've had a gunslinger mentality at QB with better numbers.
I remember when I was watching this game live and AJ threw this pass. I thought for sure it was intercepted. When Williams came away with it, I knew we had someone special @ QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Pointing to the obvious is fine. Generalizing based on an obvious point is less reliable.
Not sure I even know what that means. I was pointing out that Jalen, according to the report is given one read. From watching the games in which Tua has played, he appears to be given 2 or 3 reads, since he has frequently gone to his second or even third. That's the opposite of "generalizing." It's empirical and specific. I resisted speculation. I left it up to the reader. Am I not supposed to comment on the obvious? ;)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If Jalen only has one read, it explains why some of the receivers didn't seem to be running their routes in the 4th quarter of the Auburn game.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
If Jalen only has one read, it explains why some of the receivers didn't seem to be running their routes in the 4th quarter of the Auburn game.
That does take away the incentive to run your route. You have to be very disciplined to do everything you are supposed to do even when you know the ball isn't coming your way.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Yes, it doesn't make for a happy group of receivers...
I hope none of the receivers ask for a transfer next year. I wonder how this will affect our recruiting also (if they realize Jalen isn't making all the reads, etc.) I hope the team can straighten things out for the playoffs but it will more likely be Spring before that happens.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
If Jalen has one read and Tua has two or three, why is Tua not playing? Is it simply CNS's aversion to turnovers?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I hope none of the receivers ask for a transfer next year. I wonder how this will affect our recruiting also (if they realize Jalen isn't making all the reads, etc.) I hope the team can straighten things out for the playoffs but it will more likely be Spring before that happens.
Recruiting has been a concern of mine. You want happy people hosting prospects. I think the aftermath of the AU game has smoothed out some with the excitement of preparing for the CFP. I'd like to see some things remedied and things permanently smoothed out...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If Jalen has one read and Tua has two or three, why is Tua not playing? Is it simply CNS's aversion to turnovers?
IMO, there is a reason Tua got A TON of extended mop up duty this year compared to the time Saban has allocated in the past. I'll never forget it, in the Vanderbilt game in which Tua came in and got spun around in the pocket and in a fraction of a second after getting turned back around was able to locate the breaking WR in the back of the endzone. Gary Danielson, as arrogant and self absorbed as he is. Was simply stunned at that play and the overall talent Tua displayed. I can't remember his exact words, but you could tell he was caught off guard and said something to the effect of "This kid has amazing talent" and you could just "feel" Danielson shaking his head in amazement as he said those words.

I say all that to say this. If Danielson, a former NFL Quarterback, notices the talent. Don't think for one second the staff doesn't either. I highly doubt this kid sits the bench next season. Again, there's a reason for the first time in Saban's tenure at Bama, that the backup quarterback got as much playing time as Tua did this season. Like I said after the Vanderbilt game. You don't keep that type talent on the bench. You simply don't.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I had a similar though to Earle's on the quote from that article. Why would Jalen only have one read?

But think back to games over the season. We have seen Jalen scan the field from read to read to read. Either he was going through his progressions, or he didn't know his primary read on those plays.

Since we have the evidence to point to Jalen having more than one read, I'm going to take that quote as Jalen covering his butt and giving his brother a random excuse for keeping the ball.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think you guys jumped the shark on that article. It doesn't say that Jalen always has only one read he was just describing that one specific play. We know for a fact that the TD pass to JJ during the iron bowl was his 2nd read. He looked to Ridley who was covered so he then threw the TD to JJ. I'm sure there's some plays where the QB, whether Jalen or Tua, only have 1 read and if it's not there they tuck and run. I'm not picking sides here just pointing out that I wouldn't go so far as to say that Jalen always has only one read on every passing play..

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I had a similar though to Earle's on the quote from that article. Why would Jalen only have one read?

But think back to games over the season. We have seen Jalen scan the field from read to read to read. Either he was going through his progressions, or he didn't know his primary read on those plays.

Since we have the evidence to point to Jalen having more than one read, I'm going to take that quote as Jalen covering his butt and giving his brother a random excuse for keeping the ball.
That crossed my mind also. I actually prefer that. However, I will say that, though it does appear he does sometimes take one quick glance and takes off either upfield or rolling out before the pocket has really broken down. I feel in those cases that there may have been more reads but he didn't take them, for several reasons. To me, it's a situation which simply must be remedied, one way or another - for the CFP and the future...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think you guys jumped the shark on that article. It doesn't say that Jalen always has only one read he was just describing that one specific play. We know for a fact that the TD pass to JJ during the iron bowl was his 2nd read. He looked to Ridley who was covered so he then threw the TD to JJ. I'm sure there's some plays where the QB, whether Jalen or Tua, only have 1 read and if it's not there they tuck and run. I'm not picking sides here just pointing out that I wouldn't go so far as to say that Jalen always has only one read on every passing play..
See our further discussion...

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I think the "trust" is not in strength, but accuracy.
Not to beat Jalen up, but the only comparison right now is Tua (even though we saw the video of AJ throwing in a tight window, he's not on campus anymore). The accuracy that Tua has is part of what separates him from Jalen, IMO. As far as straight up arm strength I don't know who can spin it faster, but there's not question Tua's much, much more accurate and I think that's what hinders JH from throwing many of the passes he holds on to.
Also, that trust in his accuracy undoubtedly helps him be more confident and, as a result, quicker to make decisions and release it on time.
You can go back to the fall camp videos of our qbs that get shown during the media viewing period and when you watch JH and Tua alternate throwing the same passes and you'll see Tua hitting guys in the hands on most reps and with JH you'll see the receivers having to make an adjustments (ball is usually behind them) to catch Jalen.
I completely agree that it is an accuracy issue. If Tua can envision that he can get the ball to the out stretched hands of the receiver running at full speed he considers him open regardless of the defender running stride for stride. This involved him trowing thousands of balls and learning to create the proper action and trajectory on the ball. There are so many mental, physical and motor skills involved in this, very few people are capable and they have to be developed from a very young age. Tua obviously has it and it pains me to say that I don't believe JH ever will approach that level of "arm talent"

Reading many of the post here I see a contradiction in what CNS is attempting to accomplish. How many times have we heard him say "we need to get the ball in the hands of our play makers" Unfortunately he has a QB who doesn't have the "arm talent" to do that with any consistency. There is always a risk of looking like we did in the IB because the big play never comes and we are immediately too far behind on the chains to run the ball.

Too often we talk here about making short throws and I have thought the same but if they can cover the outside receivers man for man and are able to pressure with four then the short zones are incredibly tough to throw into. How many pick sixes do we see come off of short corner routes both college and NFL.

So to me particularly with Jalen we have to run the ball effectively to ever have an opportunity to throw to an open receiver.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Earle is right ya'll. Early in the season, Jalen had 1 read and run. One read was Ridley and if he's not open, then he would take off. Coach trained him to do that. Foster isn't reliable catching the ball and then we had the emergence of Ruggs, Smith and Jeudy, and then Jalen went from 1 read to 2 reads, 3 reads... There was reason why they took away his RPO against a team or two this season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.