QB Competition 2018

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Phil Savage from Senior Bowl said on the opening drive show this morning that He expected Alabama to show some things to Clemson that they haven't shown all year.

I definitely believe that because the offense has continue to evolve throughout the season, we've saw some new stuff in last few games. I would expect us to run lot of new stuff against Clemson and in championship game if we win.
We seem to hear or talk about seeing new things the next big game a lot. Maybe we showed some new things against the barn. If so, they sure didn't improve the 3rd down conversion rate.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
We seem to hear or talk about seeing new things the next big game a lot. Maybe we showed some new things against the barn. If so, they sure didn't improve the 3rd down conversion rate.
I was thinking about the same thing. Sometimes, I wonder if showing something new is a good thing?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Commentary on our two losses from last year and this year have both had the statement "wonder why we quit running the ball?"

Interesting...2 different OC's...same action...same result.
It seems to fly in the face of the old saw that you keep doing something which is working until it doesn't work any more. (Usually as a result of adjustments by the defense.)

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Commentary on our two losses from last year and this year have both had the statement "wonder why we quit running the ball?"

Interesting...2 different OC's...same action...same result.
This commentary as applied to Aub is misleading. We didn't abandon the run against Aub. The first drive of the second half was a touchdown mainky from runs. The second drive was two runs and a short outside pass all to Bo, but we were stopped short and punted. The next drive featured several runs and a similar short pass to Jacobs. That drive stalled because of a delay of game penalty putting us in a 3rd and 9. The next drive was working with Damien Harris getting at least one nice run, but stalled due to the botched snaps eventually leaving us in 4th and 4.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This commentary as applied to Aub is misleading. We didn't abandon the run against Aub. The first drive of the second half was a touchdown mainky from runs. The second drive was two runs and a short outside pass all to Bo, but we were stopped short and punted. The next drive featured several runs and a similar short pass to Jacobs. That drive stalled because of a delay of game penalty putting us in a 3rd and 9. The next drive was working with Damien Harris getting at least one nice run, but stalled due to the botched snaps eventually leaving us in 4th and 4.
IRT to our RBs, yes we did. Our RBs combined for 18 carries. Jalen had 18 carries. AU RBs combined for 36 carries. The fact of the matter is we didn't feed our RBs enough. There's no logical explanation for why, over the course of the entire game, Damien Harris only had 6 carries..

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Phil Savage from Senior Bowl said on the opening drive show this morning that He expected Alabama to show some things to Clemson that they haven't shown all year.
Tua at QB...throwing the ball all over the field...to all of the receivers...not just Ridley. RTR!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Tua at QB...throwing the ball all over the field...to all of the receivers...not just Ridley. RTR!
I'll go one further - I would like to see Ridley line up on the left and pull their secondary over to the side of the field that Jalen cannot pass to anyway, freeing up the rest of the field where Jalen is a very good passer. Ridley would hate it, but if he is used as a decoy, it could be a game changer for Alabama.

Clemson is not going to let Ridley beat them. Use it.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
It would be funny to see Dabo's face if they plan all along to stop Jalen and the RPO, and then we come out with Tua slinging it all over the field.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
IRT to our RBs, yes we did. Our RBs combined for 18 carries. Jalen had 18 carries. AU RBs combined for 36 carries. The fact of the matter is we didn't feed our RBs enough. There's no logical explanation for why, over the course of the entire game, Damien Harris only had 6 carries..
This is true, but for whatever reason, we kept getting ourselves in 3rd down situations and, to put it mildly, we stink on converting 3rd downs. If Jalen is under center against Clemson, he'll have to show them he can make some throws!

I know the counter is "we need to run our running backs more rather than our qb" and I totally agree, but make not mistake, we've got to be better in the passing department against Clemson than we were against AU.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This is true, but for whatever reason, we kept getting ourselves in 3rd down situations and, to put it mildly, we stink on converting 3rd downs. If Jalen is under center against Clemson, he'll have to show them he can make some throws!

I know the counter is "we need to run our running backs more rather than our qb" and I totally agree, but make not mistake, we've got to be better in the passing department against Clemson than we were against AU.
This is true but let's not act like Jalen was terrible against AU. He threw an absolute dime that Ridley dropped that would have been a 3rd down conversion. The deep passes to Ridley would probably have been completed also if not for the intentional pass interference on AU - they were just tackling Ridley rather than playing the ball. Overall, yes, the passing game can certainly improve but what will make the most difference IMO is spotlighting our most talented position group on the team which is the RBs..

Last edited by a moderator:

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
It would be funny to see Dabo's face if they plan all along to stop Jalen and the RPO, and then we come out with Tua slinging it all over the field.
It would be very Un-Sabanlike to do this but if we do not come in with something new and unexpected I don't see us getting by Clemson.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This is true but let's not act like Jalen was terrible against AU.
TIFWIW, but 95 pages say otherwise.

Hurts stats against AU: 12 22 112 54.5 36 1

His long pass was the 36 yarder to Juedy, which was basically a jump ball.

Many of his 18 rushes should have been passes and that's where things probably need to change the most. I'd rather see him throw an occasional INT than hold it, rush over to his right and out of bounds. Occasionally, that's all he can do, but he does it more than he should and we are just wasting plays that could result in first downs or tds.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

I know the counter is "we need to run our running backs more rather than our qb" and I totally agree, but make not mistake, we've got to be better in the passing department against Clemson than we were against AU.[/QUOTE]

This is true but let's not act like Jalen was terrible against AU. He threw an absolute dime that Ridley dropped that would have been a 3rd down conversion. The deep passes to Ridley would probably have been completed also if not for the intentional pass interference on AU - they were just tackling Ridley rather than playing the ball. Overall, yes, the passing game can certainly improve but what will make the most difference IMO is spotlighting our most talented position group on the team which is the RBs..
If I recall correctly that was a bit of an underthrown ball that Ridley had to stop for and attempt to leap over an AU defender who promptly upended him even though he got his hands on the ball.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Yet Bama rushed 34 times for 221 yards (6.5 ypc avg). They didn't stop the running game, but they were right about the passing game (at that time).

Try that again this year and Bama wins.
They did once Bo went down and we backed off for whatever reason. From the article posted:

"Through 20 minutes, Alabama had already run for 139 yards and two touchdowns while averaging 9.9 yards per carry. The Tide only ran for 52 yards on 19 carries the rest of the way until a Hurts 30-yard go-ahead touchdown run with 2:07 remaining"

that's 2.7 per rush. Not good at all. Also, Bo busted two big runs, which is great and all, but they skew that 9.9 average. Clemson was able to win a greater number of plays even though we were getting some chunks of yardage. I think if we want to control the game, we need to be more consistent, even if we don't get as many long runs so that we are consuming more time on drives and wearing them out at the same time keeping our D fresh(er).

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
It would be very Un-Sabanlike to do this but if we do not come in with something new and unexpected I don't see us getting by Clemson.
The defense may be much more effective than at any time since FSU which is a strong plus and a major change.
IMO Saban would never put in Tua unless there was a problem or injury with JH we are not privy to. It would be wrong IMO to put Tua in late if the game was out of hand. There are plenty of tools in the offensive arsenal that Kiffen employed with great success. Again IMO Dabol doesn't have to invent anything. He just needs to look at what these athletes have accomplished when they were put in a position to be successful.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I'll go one further - I would like to see Ridley line up on the left and pull their secondary over to the side of the field that Jalen cannot pass to anyway, freeing up the rest of the field where Jalen is a very good passer. Ridley would hate it, but if he is used as a decoy, it could be a game changer for Alabama.

Clemson is not going to let Ridley beat them. Use it.
They almost let OJ do it last year. Sometimes you can't stop what you know is coming like we saw with Deshaun the past two years.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I agree. But I thought the onside kick v Clemson in game 1 was "un-Saban" like, and I loved it. :) Maybe he will realize changes need to be made on offense and will actually adjust. I sure hope so, or it will be a tough game for BAMA.

Last edited:

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
The defense may be much more effective than at any time since FSU which is a strong plus and a major change.
IMO Saban would never put in Tua unless there was a problem or injury with JH we are not privy to. It would be wrong IMO to put Tua in late if the game was out of hand. There are plenty of tools in the offensive arsenal that Kiffen employed with great success. Again IMO Dabol doesn't have to invent anything. He just needs to look at what these athletes have accomplished when they were put in a position to be successful.
Still missing SDH in the middle though. Moses might be a better athlete, but he's not at the same stage as SDH. He still has some tendencies to overrun plays and also to try to slip behind blocks instead of playing over them which created some issues. With Mack hopefully healthy he could slide in at Mike as I am sure he was the #2 till he went down

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.