QB Competition 2018

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
But I'm quite aware of what I think are some of his flaws and could name them. But why ? (You referred to one a post or 2 back.) My comments about him have nothing to do with some sort of "my hero can do no wrong" complex, just my cold, fallible judgment.
Cool, then we just disagree. It doesn't have to be more than that.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Saban is the best head coach in the game, but there is some kind of connection that he makes with QBs that doesn't align with other position groups.
Does that have to do with QBs who don't turn the ball over? I don't remember GMac making a lot of mistakes or making a lot of turnovers. Is that the main factor? If so, Jalen is doing exactly what he needs to do to hold onto the starting position - not make costly turnovers.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Does that have to do with QBs who don't turn the ball over? I don't remember GMac making a lot of mistakes or making a lot of turnovers. Is that the main factor? If so, Jalen is doing exactly what he needs to do to hold onto the starting position - not make costly turnovers.
That is it, of course, that and the 25-1 record. The factor which is overlooked, which Saban has alluded to, is that the QB must "win" and "keep" the team. meaning have the offensive team's confidence. Blake Sims had it, even though the team knew his limitations. He was all about team over all else. It's no secret by now that our team was showing serious fracture lines after the AU game and it revolved around the QB's performance in the way he supported and complemented the offensive team. We're obviously not going to solve the issue here, and we're not seeing what's going on in practice, but, as I've said above, if we see again what culminated in the AU game - and I say culminated because of all the "one bad game" talk; it's progressed against each opponent with a pulse - then I really see no alternative to trying Tua. In fact, I wouldn't want to see the result, if the Clemson game turns towards the Auburn track, if he's not given a chance...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Yes. Absolutely.
I think this is one thing that almost anyone should be able to agree upon. Run only when absolutely necessary, and that's really something that applies to pretty much any Alabama quarterback. I think Blake Sims is a good example of how to do that properly.

Blake Sims ran the ball 83 times for 350 yards and 7 TDs. That might not seem like much, but consider this, in 2007 John Parker Wilson ran the ball 81 times and only had 101 yards to show for it. In 2015 Jacob Coker ran the ball 69 times for 68 yards. Now, part of that is a credit for the gameplan and getting the ball of of Blake's hands fast, but Blake didn't need to run the ball a lot more for his legs to make a noticeable difference. There never was a good excuse for Hurts to run the ball 136 times this year. If Alabama just wants to run the ball they have running backs for that.

Hurts legs are a weapon, but there's little doubt he ran too much. I thought all along play calling contributed to some of the issues, but the truth is we might never really know.

Last edited:

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
If we are going to have a "dual" threat at QB then he has to at least show the run from time to time. IMHO, that means get good at making the right decision on a zone read and keep the ball when dictated. Otherwise, on pass plays, give them every chance to work and on called run plays give it to the back. Don't over use the zone read; don't make "scramble" your preferred option. If the offense doesn't work something like the above, just go to a pocket passer who has decent legs and distributes the ball on every play. Bama can win either way. Just not running something that's neither A nor B.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If we are going to have a "dual" threat at QB then he has to at least show the run from time to time.
With a guy like Hurts, that's an ever-present threat. Blake Sims was a legit running threat that the defense had to account for, he did it without running much more than some other Alabama quarterbacks. Jalen Hurts needed more practice and discipline as a passer, and resolution to that was not for him to run over 10 times per game.

Imagine this scenario. And I spelled this out several games ago, imagine that each game Hurts ran a few less times, and instead had short easy passing plays (something he had a lot less of this year). What happens? Well Hurts works on distributing the ball a bit more, the playmakers are going to be happier because they got more touches, and how could that have negatively impacted the team? Did Hurts need to run the ball 11 times against Colorado State? 10 times against Ole Miss? 10 times against Arkansas? etc... Instead you have playmakers getting less touches, who are not as involved in the plays and I can't imagine how they could be happy with that.

Nothing was gained by doing that in those scenarios. Someone else could have and should have had the ball in their hands on those plays, and clearly there's a price that came due later in the season. Going forward, distributing the ball more has to be a top priority, and I contend that it is more important to simply get the ball out of the quarterback's hands faster, than it is to draw up some beautiful downfield play.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I may have missed a few of the 101 pages but not many. I think we can all pretty much agree that if the team's offensive performance in the Sugar Bowl is the same as it was in the Iron Bowl we can expect the same outcome.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
And that QB in '10 had a good season.
I could try to defend Saban's QB choices or choose to trash them, I will do neither. I will just say look at Bama record the last 10 years and show me any other coach or team that can match or beat it. No one is perfect, but no one comes closer right now the Saban. To win Titles with the diversity of Qb's Saban has,doing so tells me one thing, with Saban, the QB is not the beginning or end of winning titles. Many coaches win titles only with great Qb, Saban wins with that ever he has. In that spirit, Saban will , if anyone can, win with Jalen, or Tua. I think this is less a Jalen or Tua thing, as a team thing. Saban won NC,s with a lesser QB than either one we have now. I trust he will find a way to do it again, with who ever plays QB.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I may have missed a few of the 101 pages but not many. I think we can all pretty much agree that if the team's offensive performance in the Sugar Bowl is the same as it was in the Iron Bowl we can expect the same outcome.
if we play the same as we did in one of our worst efforts under saban, we'll lose. that's been pretty much stated on everyone of the preceding 101 pages of this thread and several others.

and we have 2+ weeks more of it before the game. :rolleyes:

BamaGreek

All-American
Jan 6, 2007
Brentwood, TN
In 2010 our defense broke down in the Auburn game not the offense led by GMAC. We win that game and we win another SEC Championship with Greg as the QB. AJ had a great career as a 3 year starter. I think Saban did a really good job managing the QB position and played the right guys at the right times.

JustinT256

1st Team
Sep 21, 2015
Dayton, Ohio
if we play the same as we did in one of our worst efforts under saban, we'll lose. that's been pretty much stated on everyone of the preceding 101 pages of this thread and several others.

and we have 2+ weeks more of it before the game. :rolleyes:
This whole thread has become depressing. I hate losing to Auburn as much as the next person, but that game was a major wake-up call for EVERYONE (coaches, players, etc.). If you really think we're going to have the same game plan or offensive performance as we had against Auburn, you're sadly mistaken. This team will be ready to go.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I could try to defend Saban's QB choices or choose to trash them, I will do neither. I will just say look at Bama record the last 10 years and show me any other coach or team that can match or beat it.
This is totally true, and no one disputes the fact that Saban is the best in the business. But Spurrier made a good point about 5 years ago when he said that Saban should win that many games with the talent that he has on his roster. The talent differential is huge in almost every Alabama game. Same applies to Meyer at OSU. At this point, for those guys, with those rosters, winning is automatic if they simply develop these players. It is about winning championships for those programs right now, not just games. Anything short of that is a huge waste of resources.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This whole thread has become depressing. I hate losing to Auburn as much as the next person, but that game was a major wake-up call for EVERYONE (coaches, players, etc.). If you really think we're going to have the same game plan or offensive performance as we had against Auburn, you're sadly mistaken. This team will be ready to go.
I agree - I think that Saban is going to have something special for Clemson, and I believe that Alabama will win this game. I just believe that he will do it with Jalen.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I hope you're right. I think one of the points in the thread discussed by more than one is that the AU game was the 3rd game in a row that the Offense looked less than stellar. Not the first. IOWs, it wasn't just the AU game plan/offensive performance in a vacuum that created the concern.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I realize that 92, I suppose my point, was that even with all the discussion what makes anyone thing anything will change in the final 30 days of this season? The off season could be a different story.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I realize that 92, I suppose my point, was that even with all the discussion what makes anyone thing anything will change in the final 30 days of this season? The off season could be a different story.
i understand discussing the plusses and minuses of the team, that's the point of a discussion board. but literally the exact same negative stuff has been posted multiple times per day every day since we have gotten a playoff spot. everyone gets the point.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.