Finding a Silver Lining

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
There's no way to be happy about a game like the one Alabama just played. However, things are not necessarily as bleak as they might seem. Auburn is just one opponent of many, and while Alabama fans have an understandably emotional reaction to the loss, it still is just one loss. Also, while discussing what went wrong might be therapeutic, it overlooks the fact that Alabama is has still had a fantastic season and is very much in the playoff hunt. So, without further ado:

1: Alabama's odds of going to the playoff are still fairly good.
PA Tide Fan posted this chart which shows that Alabama still has around a 50% chance of making the playoffs. That's actually a better chance than Georgia. I had a spirited discussion about this scenario a few weeks ago. While I'd obviously have preferred Alabama just beat Auburn, Alabama sitting at home isn't necessarily a bad thing. The odds of Alabama beating Georgia in a must win game and Alabama getting into the playoff by sitting at home are fairly close to the same.

2: Alabama needs the rest.
If we want Alabama to get back on track and finish strong, that will be helped greatly by getting healthy. Alabama was banged up and it showed. Last year Alabama was undefeated heading into the SECCG, but they lost a key defender and lost in the playoffs.

3: We are in the playoff era. The regular season matters less.
We can try to inflate the importance of one game, but it was just one regular season game. Alabama's undefeated regular season last year didn't really mean much once they reached the playoff. If Alabama can make it into the playoff, this loss becomes pretty much meaningless.

5: Injuries are supposed to matter.
The committee is already on record as giving Clemson a bit of a pass for an ugly loss due to injuries. Losing at Auburn is hardly unforgivable, and if the committee factors in injuries they should be fairly forgiving.

4: Almost everyone has uglier losses.
I understand the logic that says Alabama doesn't deserve a shot at a championship because of the loss, but just look at the other resumes. Clemson lost to 4-8 Syracuse team! Oklahoma lost to a 7-5 Iowa State team! Miami lost to 5-7 Pitt team! Georgia got blown out by Auburn, and Auburn and Ohio State both have two losses. The fact is when you are looking at the loss side of the column, Alabama has the second best resume next to Wisconsin.

5: Things didn't turn ugly.
Georgia has a blowout to Auburn on their resume. While it would have been nice if Alabama could have at least scored once more, they didn't completely collapse and let Auburn put more points on the board. A fair evaluation of the game would reveal that Alabama played a bad game, but still had a chance to win. I'd also add that playing on the road clearly was a factor, as evidenced by the two bad snaps in a row.

6: Alabama could get a rematch with Auburn.
That might not sound terribly appealing right now, but in 2011 earning a rematch with an opponent turned out ok. It really isn't that far fetched that Auburn get in as a 3 seed and Auburn gets in as a 4 seed. As a matter of fact that's what 538 has as the likely scenario right now. If Alabama could shut up Auburn like they shut up LSU in 2011, that would be nice.

7: Alabama only has to focus on getting better.
There are things Alabama needs to improve and work on. They're not game-planning for Georgia right now so what else are they going to focus on? Either way, Alabama will have at least one more big game this year. They have time to address the issues with consistency on offense, and they also have time to get more of their defensive players game ready.

8: This is the year that the committee might be exposed as a farce.
If the committee finds a way to keep Alabama out this year, after putting in Ohio State last year, they'll have a lot of explaining to do. I'm not a fan of the committee, I think the old BCS system should have been retained. If the committee pulls any shenanigans, they'll end up looking pretty bad. I'd like to see the committee get replaced by something like the BCS formula, so if they do something inexplicable in the least that could undermine their authority.

9: Alabama would probably be sitting pretty in 4 team BCS standings.
This might not sound important, but remember the BCS used some formulas and data via their computers that the committee is bound to take a look at. For instance, Sagarin still has Alabama ranked #1. The coaches poll also can't drop Alabama too far. Alabama was #1, Miami was #2, and it seems like the worst Alabama should fall to would be 4th or 5th. The main takeaway is that in order for the committee to leave out Alabama, they'll have to break from the BCS, perhaps significantly.

10: The linebackers are back.
The destruction of inferior opponents masked the fact that Alabama didn't really dominate in a lot of their tougher games. A big part of that was the missing linebackers. There was no way to expect the returning linebackers to be anywhere near 100% against Auburn, but there's plenty of reason to believe they'll be at or near 100% whenever Alabama plays their next post season game.

Nick Saban is 125-20 at Alabama, with 5 SEC Championships and 4 National Championships.
Sometimes it helped to remind ourselves of that fact.

I could go on, but you get the point. It isn't all bad, and it is entirely possible that this loss work out for the best.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It took a long time to shovel this manure into the truck.
I'm sorry. I know I'm supposed to act like an Auburn fan and pretend that this game means more than the rest of the season. I don't, and never have seen things that way though. This was just one game, one loss. Alabama has only had one undefeated season under Saban, yet they went to the playoffs or BCS a total of 6 times. I have no idea how things will turn out, but people who honestly think this loss is unforgivable really need to pay more attention to college football.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
The main takeaway is that in order for the committee to leave out Alabama, they'll have to break from the BCS, perhaps significantly.
Wasn't breaking from the BCS the reason the committee was formed?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Wasn't breaking from the BCS the reason the committee was formed?
In theory, but so far all they've really done is jumble up the order. For the most part they are putting the same 4 teams in. If they leave a one loss Alabama out, and put a two loss team in for instance, they'll have to do a whole lot of explaining to justify that. This might happen mind you, but so far the committee has stuck to a few basic things, for instance they have yet to put a power 5 team in with a worse winning percentage than one they left out. So, might this by the year they reveal their true colors? Yeah... but if they are going to they might as well go ahead and get it out of the way so we can judge them for what they really are.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
We still have the best program in the country by far, and a one loss season is a very good season. I like great seasons that end with championships better, but who doesn't? I still appreciate the success we have and try not to get so wound up about one game. This game didn't bother me nearly as badly as 2013 when we had a chance to win three in a row and should have put them away. We blew that game. We just lost to a team that played better and whipped us last night.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There is never something positive to be taken from a loss unless you reach the playoff and can use the lessons learned that season to help you reach your goal. So there is no silver lining right now. Check back in a week.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Ihate losing to auburn but Krazy3 is spot on, it is one game, barn was ranked high. Not ike we lost to a 4 or 5 win team like Miami did. The CFP cannot drop us a ton by losing to top 6 team, without putting Miami at 9 or 10. As losses go this one could be worse. As Bama fan we hate losing to aubs. Would you rather have lost to a 5 or 6 win team as some others have? Personally if you really look at the polls with no bias Bama lost to aubs but should still be ranked higher as they have 2 losses to lower ranked teams. I will take 11-1 over aubs 10-2, they may still be left out of playoff LOL

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Here is my silver lining. If we don't make the playoff I won't have to watch Bama attempt to play offense with a good defensive team. Watching two of our games this year was just plain painful considering our 6 #1 recruiting classes. Our offense must not have gotten the recruiting memo.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
And to add to my post above, Saban has to figure out the Auburn deal. This is not just another game and until he realizes that it really is a rivalry, we're going to be in a precarious position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
And to add to my post above, Saban has to figure out the Auburn deal. This is not just another game and until he realizes that it really is a rivalry, we're going to be in a precarious position.

OKAY calm down this is 4th loss to aubs by Saban at bama. First yr, well we sucked so who cares. Second loss was to Cam Newton, come on guy was great college player. 3rd time kick 6 BS, wow just wow. This yr 4th loss we got beat. Now other than this year I do not see where he has done so much wrong playing the barn. Please enlighten my dumb self.Ole Miss for a while seemed to get him but he got past that also. NO team has owned him as you make out.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I haven't seen other comments but as I reflected on the game last night tossing and turning in bed, I actually feel worse about it.

It could have been much worse.

1. Our first TD was a 50-50 ball that resulted in a TD (that could have been called OPI caused Juedy pushed off ever so slightly)

2. It Stidham doesn't fumble deep in Bama territory....they score another TD

We basically had ONE drive that looked like us on offense and we all know which one that was.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Silver lining.... we got our butts spanked instead of our hearts ripped out. I can take a game in which all you can do is tip your hat to the other team and move on over some infamous play that decides the game. This game might be known as the Kick butt but it won’t be as infamous as the Camback or the kick six.

Roll Tide 00

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
1 loss.Still a great season.The sky is not falling.If you lived week to week after Stallings and before Saban i guess you appreciate it more.Younger fans may not get it.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Silver lining.... we got our butts spanked instead of our hearts ripped out. I can take a game in which all you can do is tip your hat to the other team and move on over some infamous play that decides the game. This game might be known as the Kick butt but it won’t be as infamous as the Camback or the kick six.
Or 'SNAP, BAMA, SNAP'! There's still a glimmer of hope. If Bama is fortunate enough to be in the CFP, they'll have few weeks for both body, and attitude, adjustments. And that goes for Coaches and players.

Roll Tide!

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.