RBs next year . . .

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
A little bit devil's advocate here but if our coaches didn't feel comfortable using them more against Auburn, what does that say, at this time, about using them against NFL defenses?
That they will need NFL offensive lines.

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
I personally do not think either leave early. Neither have the numbers to impress the NFL right now. I think both will need to carry more to get the stats up to impress NFL teams, but I could be wrong. I do not hear either name being tossed around in the draft talk.
Agree

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The fact that they were underused yet both are likely 2nd-3rd round picks is huge. Lots of tread left on those tires....

The fact that we have 6 RBs in the NFL and are about to add 4 more over the next three years helps recruiting.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I don't know anything about going pro or not, but does anyone have any insight into why we seemed to completely abandon the use of Damien Harris as the season went on? I just don't see how it could be performance related as he continued to shine every time he touched the ball. I guess I just don't get how your starting running back who averages like 8yds a carry only gets like 6-10 carries in each of the last 3 games. I get that we have always rotated 2-3 backs since Saban arrived, but we basically abandoned the position the last 2 years. I'm trying to imagine just keeping Ingram, Richardson, Lacey, and Yeldon on the bench for 2/3rds of the game 2009-2012...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I don't know anything about going pro or not, but does anyone have any insight into why we seemed to completely abandon the use of Damien Harris as the season went on? I just don't see how it could be performance related as he continued to shine every time he touched the ball. I guess I just don't get how your starting running back who averages like 8yds a carry only gets like 6-10 carries in each of the last 3 games. I get that we have always rotated 2-3 backs since Saban arrived, but we basically abandoned the position the last 2 years. I'm trying to imagine just keeping Ingram, Richardson, Lacey, and Yeldon on the bench for 2/3rds of the game 2009-2012...

I don't get it either...except that we have a plethora of good backs and the coaches were trying to keep them all happy. I don't think anyone expected Jacobs to be as good as he has turned out to be...and Bo has really not returned to his form of last year before the injury -- but we all keep hoping.

Personally I would have played Harris and Jacobs rotationally and let Bo come in to mop up. He is big and fast -- but his lateral agility seems to be lacking and he appears to go down more easily when hit low. If you noticed no one tries to hit him high -- they go low every time. He doesn't have the elusiveness or stiff-arm, etc. of Derrick Henry. Not criticisms but just observations.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I would bet on them both leaving early. Damien is getting some round 1 hype right now and Bo is a freak. I don't think either actually go round 1 though. I would put the odds of Damien leaving close to 100% amd Bo slightly lower. If I were them I would leave.

Next year will be great though because Najee and Jacobs are both studs.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I'll never understand this. I thought we were limiting his touches the whole year because we didn't want to wear him down like he did towards the end of last year. Saban actually mentioned that in press conferences. We did a wonderful job of that and then neglected to use a fresh DH in the most important part of our schedule. It honestly baffles me, he's been so good all year. This team usually got jump started with a big Harris run and for whatever reason we decided to give him 6 carries in the biggest game of the year.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I'll never understand this. I thought we were limiting his touches the whole year because we didn't want to wear him down like he did towards the end of last year. Saban actually mentioned that in press conferences. We did a wonderful job of that and then neglected to use a fresh DH in the most important part of our schedule. It honestly baffles me, he's been so good all year. This team usually got jump started with a big Harris run and for whatever reason we decided to give him 6 carries in the biggest game of the year.
And yet Jalen had 17 rushes.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
We should have used DH sooo much more than we did. When he was in the game, there was just such a better flow. I never quite got a handle on our substitution patterns this year. DH and JJ are clearly better receivers but Bo would be out there on passing downs. Really think JJ could have made that defender miss to get the first down on that crucial third and short.
And I expected Bo to truck that guy for a first down, but it didn't happen that way.

MikeF87

Nov 26, 2017
I don't believe Bo or Damien are going pro...I'm no insider, but just the way the two carry themselves tells me that. Bo is more likely to go pro than Damien frrl.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
And I expected Bo to truck that guy for a first down, but it didn't happen that way.
Bo just hasn't been the same after the injury. I know it was a broken bone and no ligament damage but he's lost that extra gear and wiggle that made him special. The only way he's made yards this year is when the play is perfectly blocked. Stark turn around from the towards the end of last year, especially the Washington game, where he looked liked a combination of Derrick Henry and Kenyan Drake..

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
As I said in another thread, Harris should be getting 15-20 carries a game. Scarbrough should be getting 10-15 carries a game. Jacobs should get the ball 5-10 times a game, either at RB or as a slot receiver. Obviously, if one of these guys gets "hot" then you feed him the ball and the others get less carries. We've really underutilized these guys. I think Damien and Bo will both go pro if the projections are good.

We'll have a lot of talent next year with Najee, Jacobs, and Robinson, but not a lot of depth. That's what scares me, not any lack of talent.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
We should have used DH sooo much more than we did. When he was in the game, there was just such a better flow. I never quite got a handle on our substitution patterns this year. DH and JJ are clearly better receivers but Bo would be out there on passing downs. Really think JJ could have made that defender miss to get the first down on that crucial third and short.
I was surprised to see Bo play as a receiver in one of the large high school all star exhibitions. With his height and strength he was quite a handful and can be a capable receiver out of the backfield. The unfortunate fact is that no one can catch balls at their feet or behind them...not even Ridley. I have been criticized as too pessimistic but I remain puzzled as to how all this offensive talent goes so underutilized against reasonable opposition.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
As I said in another thread, Harris should be getting 15-20 carries a game. Scarbrough should be getting 10-15 carries a game. Jacobs should get the ball 5-10 times a game, either at RB or as a slot receiver. Obviously, if one of these guys gets "hot" then you feed him the ball and the others get less carries. We've really underutilized these guys. I think Damien and Bo will both go pro if the projections are good.

We'll have a lot of talent next year with Najee, Jacobs, and Robinson, but not a lot of depth. That's what scares me, not any lack of talent.
I wonder which running backs we have committed for the upcoming recruiting class. I know the main one we wanted committed to UGA. We need to pick up a good RB this cycle like we did Najee this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.