11-1 and we need a new QB and OC

ATLBAMAFAN

3rd Team
Feb 2, 2005
The truth is we went 11-1 against mediocre competition. Saban has created this by beating down the UT’s, A&M’s, Florida’s, and Arkansas. We will win 80%-90% of the games just off the fact that we have greater talent on our team. The distance between us and our competition on a week to week basis is vastly greater than it was 4 or 5 years ago. I do advocate for a real opportunity for Tua (in the spring). I don’t think anyone would disagree that his upside from a passing ability is far greater than Jalen’s. I also agree that our O-line is an issue with pass protection, although I thought it wasn’t that bad yesterday. I expected worse. Now we are currently better off using Jalen because of his running ability. However, I think our play calling has adjusted and in the clutch moments we have relied to heavily on that running ability. Auburn was balanced. If you want to win big games you have to win 3rd down and the ability to make plays with your arm is a must! I’m not saying Tua is currently better than Jalen. LET ME REPEAT. I’m not saying that he is currently better. I’m saying his potential in the passing game far exceeds Jalens. He doesn’t have to be a great runner, but I would say that he has just as much athletic ability as Stidham - and the combo of Stidham’s accurate arm and his ability to make clutch runs was the difference. Period.
Now if you look at the depth chart for Auburn and Alabama going forward, do not be surprised if Auburn is not preseason top 5 next year. They are not going away and yesterday was no fluke. They have weapons and a QB who can get a ball to any of them. Alabama will have to take an honest assesment of the QB position and if Saban believes Jalen is the man who can create the same opportunities for us on 3rd down then so be it. From my viewpoint, I believe from a TALENT standpoint Tua has the more upside and potential to get to this point as a QB. I only want him to have an honest opportunity but it will be up to him to develop to be that guy.
Lastly, we are going to win at least 10 games next year too, without any changes. If we want to get comfortable with that then fine. If we want to win Championships we must evolve and make sure that we are getting the most out of our stable of stud WR’s. Right now it’s Calvin and then a few times to others. JJ made a great play yesterday on the TD but we should have been developing that all year for a game such as this. I have more to say but I’m tired of typing. 😀

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
It's much like weight loss. The first 10-15 lbs are easy to lose. But the more weight you want to lose the more you have to scrutinize what goes in your mouth. It's all about standards and expectations. The higher the goals the more "nit-picky" you have to be. The lower the goals, the less "nit-picky" you can be. Winning championships on any level is tough and winning them consistently is even tougher. Let's just be honest, the average fan base would be tickled pink to go 11-1/10-2 every year, regardless if those records resulted in conference titles or playoff appearances. But fortunately and unfortunately Bama fans and the Bama football program aren't like that. If it doesn't result in titles it's not good enough. It will fly for one maybe two years. But anything over that the natives get very restless and unpleasant. It's the nature of the beast. Welcome to being a Bama fan. :biggrin2:
So true, but I was BAMA fan in the dark ages so I go easier on the team. I think many here forget just how bad it was before and after Stallings. I hate losing to the barn. But 11 wins at this level when everyone is giving you their best game is not easy. UGA showed how easy it is to lose when you have the bulls eye on your back. Bama has carried that bulls eye for years now and we still hold up. Am I mad we got this close and just gave that game away? OH YEAH.But I also know it is not easy being the KING. I get mad only because I know how long we wondered in the dark with no shot at anything good. If we get a good bowl game and bounce back and win it and go 12-1 I will be okay with it. I wanted another title, but if it was easy everyone would have one. We have more than any team right now. We have won 4 with Saban, so I defer to his football knowledge, he will get us back. In college it is not easy to have a dynasty, every year guys graduate, leave early for NFL toss in injuries and other outside things. What we have done the last 10-11 yrs is spectacular. I know it blows we lost but we are still a good team and I do not see that changing for the worse any time soon. We have a great foundation, we just have to make adjustments. Neither coordinator has been here long, players change so we have to adapt to the players we have now not last yr. To stay on top is very very difficult year to year. Each year it is almost like a NEW team, and lately a good bit of new staff. Rome was not built in a day and did not fall in a day.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I do think we need to inspect the offensive staff though. This wasn't one game. This was a season's worth of data points. When we played any team that had some players on defense or a competent scheme in place, we struggled to stay on the field on third down and our point totals significantly declined. It culminated in an absolutely embarrassing performance against the best defense we've played this season. We ain't paying tens of millions of dollars for staff to score 14 points against our biggest rivals in the most important game of the season. Pure and simple. I will not accept that and you're being a weak-minded human being if you do.

I'm not limiting it to Daboll. This needs to be an up and down review of every position coach and the coordinator. Yesterday afternoon was a failure and the kids on offense have too much God-given talent to add up to only 14 points even if they were playing the 2001 Miami D. So it has to be on the staff getting them ready to play and giving the plays on gameday. A couple of mental errors will happen on the road. We lost this game due to being woefully underprepared.
I agree. wholeheartedly. And I saw that game as one we 'Should' have won.
Poor coaching allowed a 'High School Offense' with a good QB and a good RB to outpoint us.

LSU exposed our Line. When they came after Jalen, we didn't stop them. Jalens performance suffered. That set the Defensive game plan for everybody who played us from then on out.
Correspondingly... We didn't put pressure on their QB and given time, they hurt us.
LSU, MSU, and Auburn each had a good game plan to rush the QB. It worked, and we didn't do anything about it.
IMO: our OC did a poor job yesterday.
We abandoned our game plan to run the ball. It had shown some success. Instead the game was thrust on Jalen's back to win. He was running for his life the whole game.

QUESTION: Were our coaches deaf to thousands of TV fans screaming... Watch out for the Tebow jump Pass? It was an obvious blunder on someone's part. We all saw it when Auburn beat Georgia...
Our OC and DC called games that were adequate to defeat much lesser teams. That don't cut it in my book.

LAST QUESTION: Have the rules changed to allow holding on nearly every play. LSU,MSU, and Auburn did it regularly
and were not penalized. If the Officials are gonna ignore Holding Infractions, we need to get with the times and hold too.

Last edited:

Titans&Tide

1st Team
Jul 22, 2000
Tuscaloosa, AL USA
www.kornegay.us
I do think we need to inspect the offensive staff though. This wasn't one game. This was a season's worth of data points. When we played any team that had some players on defense or a competent scheme in place, we struggled to stay on the field on third down and our point totals significantly declined. It culminated in an absolutely embarrassing performance against the best defense we've played this season. We ain't paying tens of millions of dollars for staff to score 14 points against our biggest rivals in the most important game of the season. Pure and simple. I will not accept that and you're being a weak-minded human being if you do.

I'm not limiting it to Daboll. This needs to be an up and down review of every position coach and the coordinator. Yesterday afternoon was a failure and the kids on offense have too much God-given talent to add up to only 14 points even if they were playing the 2001 Miami D. So it has to be on the staff getting them ready to play and giving the plays on gameday. A couple of mental errors will happen on the road. We lost this game due to being woefully underprepared.
Better be careful saying "we" because you may get blasted my one of your other mods for it...

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
QUESTION: Were our coaches deaf to thousands of TV fans screaming... Watch out for the Tebow jump Pass? It was an obvious blunder on someone's part. We all saw it when Auburn beat Georgia...
Our OC and DC called games that were adequate to defeat much lesser teams. That don't cut it in my book.

No way that happens with starters at linebacker position. Aubs tossed that and many crossing routes as the inexperience in LB's was our weakest spot on defense. Hats off to aubs for going at our weakest spot. That was smart of them. Our LB's have talent but the lack of experience showed up big time, with those passes and many many missed tackles in one on one plays. Our starters do not miss those tackles or passes. Aubs knew where we were weak and used it well.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I member 2003 all too well!

Unfortunate when a team with this much talent harkens back to those dark days. Probably telling but also definitely not a reason to burn it all down.
No we do not need to burn it all down, but we do need to take a sledge hammer and knock out a wall or two.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Even given your credibility on this board, RGW, this is a sentiment I don't understand. When we lose a game, especially to Auburn, it's as if our disappointment clouds everything we learned by playing and watching competitive sports. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes, it's because the other team is better. Sometime it's because you don't play your best.

We aren't guaranteed anything for our money or for the privilege of being fans. Nor should be we assessing what this team and this coaching staff has accomplished for our university on a game-by-game basis. How about a little context from the past decade, much less an 11-1 season? We played badly in our rivalry game. That stings like hell. But after a decade, do you think Nick Saban really needs any prodding from us on the task of improving his players?

If you do, sorry, but that's weak-minded, too.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA

I agree. And i've been saying all season that the mindset of our talented receivers can't be good. They didn't sign up to come to Alabama for this - not having anyone who can deliver the ball to them with any consistency. And when we do get it to them, many times it is low or behind them. Stubbornness is our biggest problem right now, or so it seems at least. We made it to the Natty last year with a true freshman who was not a good passer. We have a true freshman this year who is a good passer. I don't get it.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
In my opinion the biggest play in the game yesterday was one that didn't happen. We had 4th and about a foot on their side of the field and a chance to set the tone of the game. Bring in D. Payne and jumbo package, and run the ball straight at them for the first down. Nope. Instead we punted - granted it was a good punt - and gave them the ball, and they drove the length of the field and scored. We sent a message that we weren't confident, and they sent a message right back that they could drive the length of the field on us. I know it's hindsight now, but everyone i was watching the game with were all saying to go for it, and we were puzzled at why we didn't, given the situation. Set a negative tone for the whole game IMO.

GHoppr

Suspended
Oct 18, 2017
Madison, AL.
In my opinion the biggest play in the game yesterday was one that didn't happen. We had 4th and about a foot on their side of the field and a chance to set the tone of the game. Bring in D. Payne and jumbo package, and run the ball straight at them for the first down. Nope. Instead we punted - granted it was a good punt - and gave them the ball, and they drove the length of the field and scored. We sent a message that we weren't confident, and they sent a message right back that they could drive the length of the field on us. I know it's hindsight now, but everyone i was watching the game with were all saying to go for it, and we were puzzled at why we didn't, given the situation. Set a negative tone for the whole game IMO.
I wholeheartedly agree. It's like the 2013 game down there... If you don't think you can make a half yard, then why are you playing the game ? Like you said, it sent the wrong message to our team.

ATLBAMAFAN

3rd Team
Feb 2, 2005
Agree we should have went for it there. If we are successful and get points (especially a TD) we take the crowd down early. And believe me, I was there, we needed it. It was by far the loudest stadium I have ever been in. Not even close

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think there were several critical things that if they would have happened would have potentially been a game changer.

* Ridley dropping the ball thrown to him out of our own endzone on the drive toward the end of the first half.

* The penalties in the drive after the big return by #7, putting us starting the drive on Auburn's side of the field.

* The third down and 4 pass out of the backfield and Bo's inability to quickly cut up field allowing the defender to tackle him short of what would have been a huge 1st down.

*Robert Foster not running his route far enough to get the first down. That is WR 101 type stuff.

Those are just a few off the top of my head. I'm sure we could list more. Overall just a bad game all around for both players and the coaches. I'm sure the film room isn't going to be pretty for anybody. Including staff.

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
Well we knew the defense this year lost a lot but played pretty good till we started losing players, our offense should have been better plus Jalen, he still holds the ball to much for me. Offensive play calling has it's up downs all year for me, Defensive play calling Pruitt is the man but may have rushed to much with the loss of leadership on the field.One pet peave was the call to pass to Bo who for me is to slow getting started couldn't pick up the 1st down. Would much rather seen Jacobs after the catch.

Last edited:

92teamownsall

Scout Team
Sep 10, 2013
Daboll's play calling exposed Jalen's weaknesses. He's not a pocket passer. Our OC doesn't emphasize our strength in the the running game. I can't wrap my head around that. Our defense has been pushed around by solid teams this year. Something else we're not used to seeing. Pruitt is not as good as Smart. Auburn was out guessing Pruitt most of the time. Bottom line imo our coordinator's did a poor job preparing for this game and making in game adjustments. Auburn played great game - hats off to them, but our coordinators did a poor job of putting us in the best position to win, especially our OC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
100% agree with this. This loss is not on the players but the offensive coaching staff.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Not to mention, the clip on our first or second possession. The bogus 15-yard helmet penalty. The two or three times we had Stidham in our grasp but couldn't put him on the ground. The offsides on the punt. Our inability to handle a snap on the field goal. It goes on and on.

I think there were several critical things that if they would have happened would have potentially been a game changer.

* Ridley dropping the ball thrown to him out of our own endzone on the drive toward the end of the first half.

* The penalties in the drive after the big return by #7, putting us starting the drive on Auburn's side of the field.

* The third down and 4 pass out of the backfield and Bo's inability to quickly cut up field allowing the defender to tackle him short of what would have been a huge 1st down.

*Robert Foster not running his route far enough to get the first down. That is WR 101 type stuff.

Those are just a few off the top of my head. I'm sure we could list more. Overall just a bad game all around for both players and the coaches. I'm sure the film room isn't going to be pretty for anybody. Including staff.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Not sure that we need a new oc or qb, but we DO need a new OFFENSE. Ground and Pound will not get it against the big boys any more, and good gracious heaven only knows what kind of passing game we have tried to develop this year.
( west coast or downfield, I can’t figure it out) We are predictable and frankly watching paint dry is more fun to watch sometimes than our current O. We put up big numbers that were inflated by a weak, front-loaded schedule. Against the back end of the schedule we looked any where from very average to inept.

We need to join the rest of college football and move with the times. We need to install the air raid/RPO in the off season. We have the personnel necessary to run it. Unfortunately I don’t think Saban will do it.

Last edited:

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Not sure that we need a new oc or qb, but we DO need a new OFFENSE. Ground and Pound will not get it against the big boys any more. We are predictable and frankly watching paint dry is more fun to watch sometimes than our current O. We put up big numbers that were inflated by a weak, front-loaded schedule. Against the back end of the schedule we look owed very average.

We need to join the rest of college football and move with the times. We need to install the air raid/RPO in the off season. We have the personnel necessary to run it.
When we did ground n pound yesterday, we were successful? We just kept going away from it, for some reason?

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
When we did ground n pound yesterday, we were successful? We just kept going away from it, for some reason?
I’m not saying go completely away from the run, I’m saying we need a whole new O. Running the ball when it’s the right thing to do would still be a part of that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.