11-1 and we need a new QB and OC

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
everyone seems to be laying this loss entirely at the feet of the offense. there are a couple of articles in kyallie's news thread about gus game planning to take advantage of pruitt's aggressiveness on blitzing, i'd say that worked pretty well.
I think auburn scoring on our defense was almost a given by many because of all the injuries that had piled up. Even the injured starters who did come back for the game weren't really "back" from a performance standpoint. The missed tackles were atrocious though. But the offense was relatively healthy across the board save one OL and given the injuries to the defense the offense was expected to step up and carry the torch so to speak.

But yeah, the defense definitely isn't above criticism.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
everyone seems to be laying this loss entirely at the feet of the offense. there are a couple of articles in kyallie's news thread about gus game planning to take advantage of pruitt's aggressiveness on blitzing, i'd say that worked pretty well.
Agreed, but they still only scored 26 points. So while the defense was far from perfect, and there are things that would likely go much better in a re-match, the defense did fairly well. The offense did almost nothing well.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Agreed, but they still only scored 26 points. So while the defense was far from perfect, and there are things that would likely go much better in a re-match, the defense did fairly well. The offense did almost nothing well.
yeah, but i think should have held them to much fewer (and it would have dampened the momentum that goes along with them scoring in their home field).

regardless, the articles in the news thread about it laid out several explosive plays they got specifically because we were to aggressive on the blitzes we ran and they had empty field behind. i think those plays gave them a lot of the momentum/energy (and td's instead of fg's) that they continued tapping into in the second half.

we only went 3 of how ever many for third down conversions, and i think all three of the conversions were in the 4th quarter.

but we let auburn go 9 or 10 of 18. which is insane.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don't think anyone was able to hold their head high in film session, regardless of what side of the ball they were on. I would also suspect some assistant coaches had their heads down as well. I completely agree about their offense taking advantage of Pruitt's aggressiveness. It was obvious they were prepared for it and had a plan to counter it.

yeah, but i think should have held them to much fewer (and it would have dampened the momentum that goes along with them scoring in their home field).

regardless, the articles in the news thread about it laid out several explosive plays they got specifically because we were to aggressive on the blitzes we ran and they had empty field behind. i think those plays gave them a lot of the momentum/energy (and td's instead of fg's) that they continued tapping into in the second half.

we only went 3 of how ever many for third down conversions, and i think all three of the conversions were in the 4th quarter.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I don't think anyone was able to hold their head high in film session, regardless of what side of the ball they were on. I would also suspect some assistant coaches had their heads down as well. I completely agree about their offense taking advantage of Pruitt's aggressiveness. It was obvious they were prepared for it and had a plan to counter it.
we pretty much laid an egg in all three facets of the game.

what ticked me off most saturday - not continuing our offensive push that we started out the second half with, and not adjusting to them dropping screen passes and drags right behind our blitzes

we had a rough first half, but were in perfectly fine position, especially after the first drive of the second half. it's like the d (and the o for that matter) made absolutely no adjustments at half.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Yep, they beat you on the DB blitzes, but you have to ask yourself if that mattered. I mean, they also beat you on plays where the DBs didn't blitz. The blitzes didn't work in this game. If you played them again, I would bet that you abandon the blitz and play them straight up with a spy on JS. But we all thought that Miller and Lewis were going to have an impact on the game. They didn't. This is one area where I am willing to say that the game plan was solid, but Auburn's blitz pick-up was perfect, tipping my hat to them.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yep, they beat you on the DB blitzes, but you have to ask yourself if that mattered. I mean, they also beat you on plays where the DBs didn't blitz. The blitzes didn't work in this game. If you played them again, I would bet that you abandon the blitz and play them straight up with a spy on JS. But we all thought that Miller and Lewis were going to have an impact on the game. They didn't. This is one area where I am willing to say that the game plan was solid, but Auburn's blitz pick-up was perfect, tipping my hat to them.
they definitely game planned it correctly. but we didn't adjust at all which was really confusing. it was obvious that the blitzing strategy wasn't working. to be honest it kind of reminded me of kirby's last couple of years with 3rd and kirby.

pbearbryant

Scout Team
Nov 2, 2007
We lost alot on the defense over the past couple seasons and through injuries this year. It is hard to replace the experience and depth we lost to the NFL. I would have loved to see Bo and Harris get more touches.

I hate the fact that loses dont seem to matter anymore as long as you have some quality wins on your resume.

pbearbryant

Scout Team
Nov 2, 2007
We are in alot better shape than most and wouldnt trade places with anyone else. We have the best coach, players, and Fans.

Roll Tide Roll

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I think Daboll did just fine this year. He'll be better next year as he has now seen what it is like in the SEC. We shot ourselves in the foot most of the day. We had penalties and missed assignments galore. What I see is that Jalen does not go thru progressions at all. He looks for Ridley when he scrambles and no one else. We had open receivers and he'd force it to Ridley when he was covered or most likely being held. I do think we need to realize we are a run 1st team. When Stoutland was the O-line coach we kicked everyones butt, now we struggle to open holes. We need to be a play action team to have success and that means being a running team with a nasty attitude. We have to go back to the old running game. We have gotten away from it in the last 3 or 4 years. It helps give the defense time to rest. Auburn has figured out you can't run a spread offense and be good on defense so they have managed their offense to compliment their defense. Kevin Steele has done a great job as well, but you will win most games when you only have to play 50 or so plays on that side of the ball. I said last week time of possession would be a key stat and it was the most telling. Auburn had the ball 6 or 7 minutes more than we did. We must game plan to drive down the field. 1 or 2 minute drives tire out the defense and ultimately cost us the game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
they definitely game planned it correctly. but we didn't adjust at all which was really confusing. it was obvious that the blitzing strategy wasn't working. to be honest it kind of reminded me of kirby's last couple of years with 3rd and kirby.
It's not just that it wasn't working - they were flawless in their blitz pick-ups. I have never seen that before. You would send a guy off the edge and the RB would have stayed in on that side and picked him up. You would send a guy late up the middle and there was someone waiting for him. It was eerie - like that had your defensive play calls.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think Daboll did just fine this year. He'll be better next year as he has now seen what it is like in the SEC. We shot ourselves in the foot most of the day. We had penalties and missed assignments galore. What I see is that Jalen does not go thru progressions at all. He looks for Ridley when he scrambles and no one else. We had open receivers and he'd force it to Ridley when he was covered or most likely being held. I do think we need to realize we are a run 1st team. When Stoutland was the O-line coach we kicked everyones butt, now we struggle to open holes. We need to be a play action team to have success and that means being a running team with a nasty attitude. We have to go back to the old running game. We have gotten away from it in the last 3 or 4 years. It helps give the defense time to rest. Auburn has figured out you can't run a spread offense and be good on defense so they have managed their offense to compliment their defense. Kevin Steele has done a great job as well, but you will win most games when you only have to play 50 or so plays on that side of the ball. I said last week time of possession would be a key stat and it was the most telling. Auburn had the ball 6 or 7 minutes more than we did. We must game plan to drive down the field. 1 or 2 minute drives tire out the defense and ultimately cost us the game.
except for that td pass to jeudy

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
It's not just that it wasn't working - they were flawless in their blitz pick-ups. I have never seen that before. You would send a guy off the edge and the RB would have stayed in on that side and picked him up. You would send a guy late up the middle and there was someone waiting for him. It was eerie - like that had your defensive play calls.
i think they watched a lot of tape.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I haven't (and won't) re-watched the game. But to go along with what b1g said about how the barn picked up the blitzes...I don't remember seeing any stunts or twists? Did I miss them? It seemed we just brought an extra rusher (or 2), but in a direct line?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I haven't (and won't) re-watched the game. But to go along with what b1g said about how the barn picked up the blitzes...I don't remember seeing any stunts or twists? Did I miss them? It seemed we just brought an extra rusher (or 2), but in a direct line?
that's why i was saying it reminded me a lot of "3d and kirby"

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
This was what I was thinking during the game, especially the '14 Ark game. Both Kirby and Pruitt finally adjusted, but against AU, it was too late. Til this game, Pruitt's blitzes have been more successful than KS's were. He was in a bind though, the DL and Jack don't usually get much pressure.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I said so then and no one agreed - beating MSU after playing so poorly hurt Alabama.

I believe that a loss to MSU would have resulted in a focused Alabama, and a win over Auburn - then off to the SECCG and CFP. But the win kept your players arrogant - maybe increased their arrogance. This while a 2 loss Auburn team was working their tails off and willing to risk anything to pull off the win.

I do believe that this loss got their attention, but I am still not sure after their post-game comments. I just hope that you make it to the playoffs so we can find out with certainty what this Alabama team is all about.
I remember you saying that and thought you were wrong...but you were right. I'd gladly trade the loss to MSU to "wake us up" for the loss against AU...for obvious reasons.

Have you checked the TOP for the game. Defense did their job and held them way below their average.

except for that td pass to jeudy
No, he looked for Ridley first and he went to Juedy last and basically he threw it up for graps and we got lucky.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.