11-1 and we need a new QB and OC

SkullDuckery

1st Team
Dec 28, 2015
This situation is a lot like when Blake Simms/ Jake Coker battled for the starting job.

Blake was ahead of Jake and won the job but Jake had the most upside. That was seen at the end of 2015 when Jake was reading defenses and playing at a high level. In 2014 Blake had achieved his ceiling by the end of the year as a QB and it showed in the playoffs.

Jalen is a great QB but I think he may have achieved his potential. Tua is already ahead of Jalen in raw talent and his upside is so much more, he just needs experience. I hope we have an open competition in the spring/ fall for the spot and let the best man win.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
This situation is a lot like when Blake Simms/ Jake Coker battled for the starting job.

Blake was ahead of Jake and won the job but Jake had the most upside. That was seen at the end of 2015 when Jake was reading defenses and playing at a high level. In 2014 Blake had achieved his ceiling by the end of the year as a QB and it showed in the playoffs.

Jalen is a great QB but I think he may have achieved his potential. Tua is already ahead of Jalen in raw talent and his upside is so much more, he just needs experience. I hope we have an open competition in the spring/ fall for the spot and let the best man win.
I'd say he may have reached his ceiling relative to the type of quarterback the staff wants him to be. I have no doubt if the staff shifted to more of what Clemson has done with their offense since Watson left and Bryant took over. We wouldn't be having conversations about Jalen's performance.

The staff needs to make a decision on what type of offensey they want to be and commit to doing running it. This hodgepodge style we're running now isn't doing what I think the staff had envisioned it would.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I'd say he may have reached his ceiling relative to the type of quarterback the staff wants him to be. I have no doubt if the staff shifted to more of what Clemson has done with their offense since Watson left and Bryant took over. We wouldn't be having conversations about Jalen's performance.

The staff needs to make a decision on what type of offensey they want to be and commit to doing running it. This hodgepodge style we're running now isn't doing what I think the staff had envisioned it would.
You may be right about changing to more of what Clemson has done since Watson, but that is not what they profess now or what Saban or Daboll is comfortable with. Ironically, one reason Hurts came to Bama was to be formed into a pro-style QB. It could also hurt with recruiting skill position players. But a decision has to be made, at least in the off season.

SkullDuckery

1st Team
Dec 28, 2015

I agree, but I think Tua could run any offense. I don’t think Hurts can

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.